Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:57 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Clay is not a factor as long as it’s dry, compacted and has at least 4 inches of 3/4 inch crushed stone as a sub base for the slab.
i can assure you that doesn't amount to a hill of beans when you're talking about Texas gumbo- if in fact that's the actual reason for the cracking. And on a brand new slab- I kinda doubt it.
Without knowing or seeing the slab and the conditions when the concrete was placed, we can only guess what happened or know if it’s a serious problem.
Now that is absolutely true! Understanding the uniqueness of Texas gumbo can be rather daunting for the average consumer/homebuyer. But, as the old adage goes- "Buyer beware!" ...or at least, buyer be informed!

https://www.soils4teachers.org/files...il-booklet.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
If you want a definitive, professional opinion that will carry significant weight with your builder and the permitting authority, have a civil engineer give you an opinion.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
I'd reccomend reading some threads about the soil in the Austin area via the Austin forum. I feel like foundation concerns are an issue frequently for people in central and south Texas, but even more so the more east you go.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:38 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Now that is absolutely true! Understanding the uniqueness of Texas gumbo can be rather daunting for the average consumer/homebuyer. But, as the old adage goes- "Buyer beware!" ...or at least, buyer be informed!

https://www.soils4teachers.org/files...il-booklet.pdf
Thanks for the link, a very interesting explanation of the soil that is perhaps associated with this particular slab issue, maybe?

Now that I’m familiar with the Black Gumbo, as it’s called, what do they do for the typical house footings, are they wider than normal, are helical piles used or other procedures used? A wall or column footing exerts a much greater square foot soil load compared to a slab.

Regarding the slab, it’s a large distributed load and I’m sure this soil would be capable of supporting the loads for residential use perhaps with using geotechnical fabrics, slab reinforcing or other techniques. Apparently the Black Gumbo consists of highly organic clays with fines, silt and sand that would make it very unstable once water is introduced. That being the case, I’m sure there are standards on how to build on this material and can’t imagine that builders or inspectors are clueless as to how to proceed to ensure that all structural elements are properly constructed.

That being the case, there are plenty of commercial buildings in NJ, specifically what’s called the “Meadowlands” that are literally built on swamp and are without major issues. Soil conditions so poor that all under slab piping has to be supported by being hung from the slab with clevis hangers and threaded rods.
Interesting construction techniques, however, obviously very costly.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:59 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If you want a definitive, professional opinion that will carry significant weight with your builder and the permitting authority, have a civil engineer give you an opinion.

I agree, if you're concerned hire an independent civil engineer to go out and take a look at it.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:53 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinnimunni View Post
Hi,

We are building a new house in Round Rock, TX. Our slab was poured about 3 weeks back and now are seeing cracks, with one running end to end and into the ground. Our construction manager said that these are Hydration cracks and should be ok.

Our concern is that they are visibile from the side as well and seem to be running into the ground as well.

Can you please suggest any inspection team. I cannot post pics on the forum yet.

I would recommend you contact a licensed Professional Engineer for a review. You can try the FPA for a list of those that work specifically with foundations Welcome to the Foundation Performance Association Web Site . If you look locally try to obtain the services of a PE that has experience in foundations and is either a Forensic Engineer, Civil Engineer or Structural Engineer with foundation experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House