Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 04:49 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

I am guessing that a lot of people leave soap and shampoo and loofa sponges and toothbrushes and all kinds of stuff next to their tubs and think it is not polite to display these semi personal products to visitors. So they buy what they consider is a decorative shower curtain and block the tub but display the shower curtain. Personally I think it shrinks the size of a small bathroom, sometimes blocking a window over the bathtub.

But I would never ever imagine closing someone else's shower curtain. That was a little compulsive on the part of your guest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 04:54 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Why is the shower curtain closed in every empty home bathroom I’ve ever visited? I like to pull mine away about halfway, hiding the faucets and hanging rack, but not veiling the entire tub. But why is it the prevailing custom in the US (as far as I know) to totally obscure the tub? Is it considered somehow obscene? I am talking about an empty tub here.

And why do people not use hand towels? I provide a plain, ordinary hand towel which hangs on a circle close to the guest bathroom sink. It is in no way special, except for its color. It is plain. But in order to get people to use a hand towel, I have to take a hand towel and lay it on the vanity next to the sink. Why?

If I had a matched set of hand embroidered fancy hand towels hanging close to the sink, I’d get it. But I think matched hand towels are useless, and kind of dumb. Mine are the same sort as the full sized towel hanging near the tub, which I think guests use instead of hand towels.

My guests are ordinary people. They are not boors or slobs.

I discover the shower curtain pulled all the way across and the hand towel undisturbed after a visit. I am kind of embarrassed to mention it. And really these are minor things. But why?
You don't know why people pull the curtain all the way yet you pull it halfway to cover the "genitalia" of the tub? Seems a bit silly - when I had a shower curtain it was pulled all the way so it doesn't get moldy from sticking together.

People are neurotic these days about towels (and most everything else that might be germy). They trust their OWN towels in their own homes and disposable, but not towels in someone else's home where OTHER hands have touched. Just like some people would rather eat carryout at a potluck than trust a friend or neighbor to have a clean kitchen. Yeah, people are nuts.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:55 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Well, I always use clear vinyl shower curtains, because I’ve never had a shower with a light or window for light. Dark showers... don’t like them.

And as soon as it gets icky, out it goes. I buy them on sale and when the one goes up, I get the next. I change them about every six months.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
We have shower doors, so I'll pass on the shower curtain question. For the towels, I have paper towels out as well as cloth hand towels. Guests use the paper towels almost exclusively. I just assume they are trying to save me work, but who knows?

Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I have the opposite problem with the towels. I have a roll of thick, absorbent paper towels on a rack right by the sink so that guests can use them. Yet, they use my bath towels to dry their hands instead! Whenever I have guests now, I make sure to throw the towels in the hamper after they leave because I am not sure they haven't been used.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:49 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Tub genitalia. I'll never look at a tub spout the same way again... ...but it could go a long way towards explaining why most cats and dogs aren't fond of the tub bath. "That looks a LOT like... NO! She ISN'T!!! That is SICK! Lemmie outta here!!!!!!" >*<

Old 05-30-2019, 06:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I am guessing that a lot of people leave soap and shampoo and loofa sponges and toothbrushes and all kinds of stuff next to their tubs and think it is not polite to display these semi personal products to visitors. So they buy what they consider is a decorative shower curtain and block the tub but display the shower curtain. Personally I think it shrinks the size of a small bathroom, sometimes blocking a window over the bathtub.

But I would never ever imagine closing someone else's shower curtain. That was a little compulsive on the part of your guest.
My shower curtain gets closed after a guest has taken a shower. Sorry about not being clear.

It seems to me the shower liner would dry faster if left open. And you all have convinced me to leave two hand towel out on the counter for guests. Sorry, I’m not buying paper towels for the bath.

Last edited by silibran; 05-30-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
As an agent, I'm also confused about the habit of closing the shower curtain, particularly for RE photos. I want to see the tub, and the room, and if anything, the room is smaller with the curtain closed. I'd rather see it open.

If I was a guest, I can understand maybe leaving it closed if it was wet, thinking it would air dry better?
When we looked at homes a few years ago, the shower curtains were often, if not most always, closed. When my house was shown, I left the curtain pulled only partially closed.

I do not like the look of a closed off tub.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You don't know why people pull the curtain all the way yet you pull it halfway to cover the "genitalia" of the tub? Seems a bit silly - when I had a shower curtain it was pulled all the way so it doesn't get moldy from sticking together.

People are neurotic these days about towels (and most everything else that might be germy). They trust their OWN towels in their own homes and disposable, but not towels in someone else's home where OTHER hands have touched. Just like some people would rather eat carryout at a potluck than trust a friend or neighbor to have a clean kitchen. Yeah, people are nuts.
I have never thought of faucets as genitalia! I just think the faucets and bath paraphernalia that cluster around there look untidy. But I don’t like a veiled tub area either. While we get to arrange our bathrooms however we want to, I think it is odd that so many people close off their tubs every day.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The shower curtain is prettier than your soap scum.

Do you really want to use a hand towel that someone else has used!? Hand (paper) napkins are the way to go.

"Ordinary people"? Perhaps that's the problem- they have no etiquette.
I don’t have soap scum.

Yeah, I assume the previous person has washed their hands with the provided soap. So, I’d use the provided hand towel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House