Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
You're assuming that the OP is talking about heat. They may be talking about the AC setting and don't want to pay to keep the AC at 75, so they are raising it so that it keeps the house at 80 during the summer. They could be going out of town for a while and not have a need to keep the house cooled to 75 degrees while they are away.

I would not want to live or be in a house with the temp set at 80 regardless if it's summer or winter, but like I said, they may be going on vacation. When I go out of town, I don't keep my house as warm in the winter or as cool in the summer as I do when I am home.
that's true... but then the system wouldn't be working at all.

If it's summer time and I raise the AC temp from 70 to 75 the system doesn't kick in till the temp hits 76 degrees (to push more cold air into the house and keep the temp at 75). So this question seems irrelevant if that was the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:13 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
that's true... but then the system wouldn't be working at all.

If it's summer time and I raise the AC temp from 70 to 75 the system doesn't kick in till the temp hits 76 degrees (to push more cold air into the house and keep the temp at 75). So this question seems irrelevant if that was the case.
I'm confused about why you say the system wouldn't be working at all. If the OP sets the AC temp at 80, of course it won't kick on until the temp reaches that point. So what? Setting the temp at 80 will keep the house from getting any hotter than 80 degrees. Why would you want it running for no reason?

What am I misunderstanding about the system not working at all?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM

5,339 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:

You're misunderstanding that in the summer, when your house is at 72 and you want to get it to 80, the system is "not working at all" to get the temperature up to 80.

In other words, even if you believe you "can't move the thermostat more than 2 degrees", you can make any change you want when you are using the ambient temperature to raise the thermostat.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:56 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Quote:
I'm confused about why you say the system wouldn't be working at all. If the OP sets the AC temp at 80, of course it won't kick on until the temp reaches that point. So what? Setting the temp at 80 will keep the house from getting any hotter than 80 degrees. Why would you want it running for no reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
You're misunderstanding that in the summer, when your house is at 72 and you want to get it to 80, the system is "not working at all" to get the temperature up to 80.

In other words, even if you believe you "can't move the thermostat more than 2 degrees", you can make any change you want when you are using the ambient temperature to raise the thermostat.
Thank you, yes.

The ambient temperature automatically increases the room temp since in the summer it gets warm out and your house automatically warms up, so the system does nothing except for allow the temp to rise UNTIL it needs to bring it back down to the appropriate maximum temp (in this case 80 degrees).

I didn't mean the system wouldn't be working at all. I just meant that the OPs question seems concerned about putting the system under load to get the temp to change more than 2 degrees. The system isn't working under any particular load when the ambient temp is doing the change by itself and the system is idle.

Last edited by Kluch; 06-18-2019 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 01:21 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sounds like you might have a heat pump?
If so then yes, you might need to raise your thermostat by two degrees at a time. That is how mine operates.
Raising by more than two degrees at once will cause your auxiliary heat source (electric strips, sort of like those on a portable heater) to kick on. It's much more expensive to have the auxiliary heat source running than the actual heat pump.
If you really want to go straight from 75 to 80 with a heat pump you can, just be prepared for the bill that comes with it.
That's very interesting, I am not familiar with heat pumps and would have never known this.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:38 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That's very interesting, I am not familiar with heat pumps and would have never known this.
Well, that's the way it operates when the heat setting is on at any rate. If OP is using the AC part of the heat pump system and just wants the temp to rise naturally the two degree rule is not a factor. But the fact that someone told them 'two degrees' makes me think s/he has a heat pump, and may be confused as to how it works.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
I’ve never heard of anything like that personally but huh.

Another poster did make me wonder, and taking into consideration having a cat living in the house, if you were to leave town over the weekend or whatnot, what is a safe temperature to set during the winter and summer to save energy but also not let the house get out of control? Maybe 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Take a look at the 6th point about raising heat settings in 2 degree increments.

Heating & Cooling Tips

Old 06-18-2019, 03:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I've tried (and still have an issue but 77 is the limit for me for a/c (trying to save money but I can't stand it hot) - I still have to have a fan on upstairs in the bedroom). On the plus side (for me - winter I'm usually pretty good @ 63-64). I recently was out of town so did turn the a/c up to 82 but of course had to turn it down to 77 when I got home. I don't know anything about heat pumps though...

Old 06-18-2019, 04:27 PM

724 posts, read 530,125 times
Quote:

If you're in a humid climate, even having it run a bit will help keep the air dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House