Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,048,075 times

Advertisements

these 9x9 tiles were easily removed from the floor fully intact. They were barely bonded, like the glue failed.
Yes, they tested positive for asbestos.

I am confused about what is considered to be "disturbing asbestos," as the #1 rule is to not disturb asbestos.
It seems just touching asbestos tile with your finger magically releases asbestos into the air.

My understand is that as long as the tile is not crushed to a powder, there is no asbestos danger.

If the tile is intact, how the hell will asbestos be released?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:57 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Your understanding is right. There is no danger if the tiles are intact.
Remove and properly dispose them. That's all you need to do.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:48 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
https://www.asbestos.com/blog/2018/0...e-diy-removal/

Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 AM

6,364 posts, read 4,193,409 times
Yes, you are absolutely fine if you remove them “in tact” without chipping or breaking them. Asbestos is only dangerous when it’s “friable” meaning that it crumbled (disturbed) and enables fibers to become airborne.

You could even wet the tiles when removing them as a precautionary measure to ensure that no fibers will be released. The floor tiles that you are dealing with present little to no hazard at all once knowing they contain some asbestos and handled accordingly!

Old 06-30-2019, 05:43 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Asbestos is only a problem if the very fine fibers get into your lungs and do physical damage. The fibers are like miniature needles. Professionals have more exposure so are at greater risk. Homeowners being careful like you are have extremely low risk. Just be sure to dispose of tiles properly so no one in the “waste stream” gets exposed via broken bits of tile in the future.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:04 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
Another thing you can do is tile on top of them.

DH and I had a small bathroom in a house built in 1985 with cheap plastic tile. We went through the whole song and dance at Home Depot to get a quote for ceramic tile (sitting and waiting as they poked at computer screens, called a supervisor over, etc.) and when we decided to go ahead, it turned out that because of the year the house was built they wouldn't touch it unless we had it tested. If it had asbestos it needed to be "remediated". I did some research and based on pictures of tiles containing asbestos, I doubt ours had any. (Some of the pictures DID look like what Dad put in our basement in the 1950s.)

It turns out it's also OK to tile over it since you're not disturbing it. I used Schluter Ditra underlayment between the old and new tile- have used it for 3 tiling jobs. I love that stuff. Unlike cement backerboard you can cut it easily with scissors.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:42 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
In speaking with a "flooring guy" who'd been in the industry long enough to have installed those tiles, he mentioned that the biggest issue with asbestos was the mastic (glue/adhesive) used. Pull the tiles up and that adhesive is easier to disturb, especially if it's not holding the tiles any longer.

So, there's a higher risk After the tiles are removed and before you get something else down.

That's all assuming that what's there is the "bad" asbestos, because there is non-harmful asbestos too. And then considering that all of the asbestos scare related to people who worked with it daily for decades of their life, not individuals who might be exposed for a week. It's a personal decision on risk. Me, I've removed asbestos and covered the are with new tile while using the best practices I could find online. No change in health in the decade since...

Old 06-30-2019, 07:50 AM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I think Brian is right the glue is also a concern. I don’t know what your plan is now but I wouldn’t sand it.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Unless you plan to grind them up, fling the powder into the air, and breathe in great clouds of the stuff while simultaneously smoking heavily, you have nothing to worry about. The hysteria around asbestos has reached the point of absolute ridiculousness, and it's a shame because the longer this idiocy continues the more likely it is that people will start to disregard situations where there really IS a risk.

Has no one in the last 40 years ever heard of the story of the boy who cried "Wolf!"?

Old 06-30-2019, 09:52 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That's all assuming that what's there is the "bad" asbestos, because there is non-harmful asbestos too.

What?

"All forms of asbestos cause cancer in humans (this includes chrysotile, the principal form of asbestos still in production and use), and no threshold has been identifed for the carcinogenic risks. This is the conclusion of WHO and IARC in a series of authoritative international assessments conducted over a period of more than 15 years."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House