Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:30 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times

Advertisements

We have recently moved into a house that has an awful smelling washing machine. It smells like mildew or mold. I've run cycles with just bleach and water several times but to no avail.
Our clothes don't smell as clean as they should. In fact, they smell like a combination of detergent and mold. Awful.
We obviously need to buy a new machine, but is there a chance that the mold can travel to the pipes connected to the machine? If so, is it possible to get is flushed out by a plumber?
I spoke to one plumber over the phone and he seemed to think the mold wouldn't have gotten into the pipes, and thinks we can go ahead and buy a new machine. But I don't want to spend $500.00 on a new machine if there's a possibility that mold will enter into somehow?
Any good advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Dump a 1/2 bottle of tilex in it and run the cycle.

It probably just got mold inside from sitting with the lid closed.

Respray inside with tilex and let sit overnight.
It may take a few runs. Make sure you get up under the lips of the basket and door.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
There is not much chlorine in beach. Try some Shock treatment for pools.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I assume it's a top-load? Don't close the lid after removing a load of clothing, keep the lid open to let it dry out.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:22 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
I just bought a front loader and I'm having the same issue..it absolutely stinks when you open the door? My B&C put a dryer sheet in it and it seems to help but it's just not right..brand new, top of the line washer? It shouldn't smell that bad!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Go to Lowes or buy online affresh I think I bought mine near the washing machine sales area. Affresh.com: Affresh Home
Wally world doesnt have it least mine didnt.

Go home and turn a nearby faucet hot water on til it hottest as it will get .
Drop the tablets in the tub turn the spin cycle off and turn to normal laundry.

This will take care of the smell problem from mildew.

When you wash clothes ONLY use HE detergents for front loaders and follow the instructions on the bottle you will use 1/3 of detergent you will use on a normal washer same with bleach, and fabric softner.
Avoid those sales on other detergents, cheap detergents, and ESPECIALLY the ones that seem to be marketing lately super concentrated... bad bad for HE washers.

The reason you have that smell is that you are using to much detergent and it does not get washed out during a load of laundry and sits in the drum.
Also after you get done with a load dry the gaskets out, and door and leave it open for a day.

If you see black blobs building up then you do have mold.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:19 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Default Yes, the stink is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I just bought a front loader and I'm having the same issue..it absolutely stinks when you open the door? My B&C put a dryer sheet in it and it seems to help but it's just not right..brand new, top of the line washer? It shouldn't smell that bad!
I have a front loader too. the smell comes from water in the boot - thats the wide rubber seal the door closes against.

Open the door, Sprad the bood apart and take paper towels and use them to soak up the water.

run it through a cycle with a tad of soap and tad of bleach and NO clothes. When it;s finished washing, dry the boot with paper towels and leave the door OPEN.. It cuts down on the smell 95%.

You'll never get rid fo the smell entirely because the boot is rubber, but you can keep it under control woth paper towels and air. . .

Old 08-23-2008, 02:26 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
We have recently moved into a house that has an awful smelling washing machine. It smells like mildew or mold. I've run cycles with just bleach and water several times but to no avail.
Our clothes don't smell as clean as they should. In fact, they smell like a combination of detergent and mold. Awful.
We obviously need to buy a new machine, but is there a chance that the mold can travel to the pipes connected to the machine? If so, is it possible to get is flushed out by a plumber?
I spoke to one plumber over the phone and he seemed to think the mold wouldn't have gotten into the pipes, and thinks we can go ahead and buy a new machine. But I don't want to spend $500.00 on a new machine if there's a possibility that mold will enter into somehow?
Any good advice?
Water and air = mold. Mold is a lung killer. Try runing a long cycle with a cup of bleach and full HOT water. After the washer is emptied. leave the top up to dry out. If it still smells after two days, GET IT OUT OF YOUR HOUSE,

Water and air= mold. Your washerr empties down the standpipe into the sewer, . Your house water pumps up clean pipes. The two do not meet.

Mold can give you serious lung problems.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:58 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
This is why I do NOT like the new, fancy front loaders....
I just had this talk with my sister in law.
She was buying the line from all the appliance salesman...."You GOTTA buy a front loader for the water savings......."

Another reason we LOVE our Fisher Paykel...
Top loading..no mold.
WATER SAVING
Direct drive motor. Lower electrical cost AND No belts, No pulleys and the best thing.........NO TRANSMISSION.

Great warranty and great customer service. I'm told parts are not expensive, easy to work on, etc.......(although I never needed to.....)

Clothes come out almost dry.
We would not own anything else.

When I saw that they actually sold products because of this problem with mold, that told me everything I needed to know.

They sell them at Lowe's and other places.....
Frank D.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Water and air = mold. Mold is a lung killer. Try runing a long cycle with a cup of bleach and full HOT water. After the washer is emptied. leave the top up to dry out. If it still smells after two days, GET IT OUT OF YOUR HOUSE,

Water and air= mold. Your washerr empties down the standpipe into the sewer, . Your house water pumps up clean pipes. The two do not meet.

Mold can give you serious lung problems.
THAT'S the answer I was looking for. I was looking for a plumbing answer regarding the pipes. We have a top loader, not a front loader. We bought this house just two months ago and this problem came with the house, it's nothing we did. We always take our clothes out promptly, leave the hood open in between washes, etc. We've never had a problem with any previous washing machines...this is the only one due to the previous owners' apparent neglect. We've already done the bleach thing with hot water, etc, leave the hood open, all of that.
We just need a new top loader. I'm glad to know that the current piping system will not cause mold to enter our new machine.
Thanks for all of your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House