Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 05:08 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

I thank you all for your comments and opinions. I will say that I put beautiful engineered hardwood in a vacation home we used to own, and it was in the kitchen as well. It was very easy to maintain. I have also used a cheap laminate in my current home (now LVT) that held up for years until I had a plumbing disaster.

Anyway, at this point I have pretty much decided on a laminate: Marmoleum clic. New wood will be too expensive and the clic can easily be replaced if damaged. It isn't waterproof but water resistant; and it is a floating floor so easily on the joints and if you drop anything. At my age if it lasts a few years I'm happy. Cost is very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Our house has all wood floors, which I really wanted because I have health issues and cannot afford to slip and fall on tile. Wood is way more forgiving. I personally really don't like the look of tile anymore, so I thought the engineered would be a good option for kitchen since there is wood (oak) floors everywhere else.
We have engineered wood in a hallway upstairs. I would definitely NOT use it in a wet area such as a kitchen or bathroom, and here's why. Unlike tile (which is not a good option for you), there is no "grout" between the planks of engineered wood. When water -- even a few drops of water or an errant ice cube fragment -- gets between the planks, it will soak in to the wood and cause it to "cup" upward. Over time, it will dry out and mostly go down - but the kind of exposure you'll get around a kitchen sink is a recipe for disaster.

Since ceramic tile is out, one alternative to look at is Luxury Vinyl Tile. It comes in many different patterns and looks. It is not a low-end inexpensive product.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:58 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’ve been looking hard at houses lately, and I just can’t stand beautiful wood floors being cut off by ugly white tile for the kitchen. It’s jarring, and don’t get me started on those wretched transition strips.
C'mon, Tallysmom, don't hold back. Tell us how you *really* feel about ugly white tile & wretched transition strips.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:26 AM

829 posts, read 629,414 times
Quote:
Anyway, at this point I have pretty much decided on a laminate: Marmoleum clic. New wood will be too expensive and the clic can easily be replaced if damaged. It isn't waterproof but water resistant; and it is a floating floor so easily on the joints and if you drop anything. At my age if it lasts a few years I'm happy. Cost is very reasonable.
I hope you'll like your Marmoleum Clic flooring! There seems to be some drawback to nearly all the flooring choices and the best we can hope is that we like it and are happy with our selection! Good luck!

Old 09-06-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I hope you'll like your Marmoleum Clic flooring! There seems to be some drawback to nearly all the flooring choices and the best we can hope is that we like it and are happy with our selection! Good luck!
Thank you! Again, I am 70 y.o with a bad spine and on blood thinners - and this will be our retirement home. I will be doing very little cooking, and if there is a water disaster, so be it. The Marmoleum is not that expensive and the kitchen is small, so I am not too worried about it.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:43 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
I thought Marmoleum was a linoleum, not a laminate. Anyway, good luck and hope you win the lotto so somebody else can do all the cooking!

Old 09-06-2019, 06:44 PM

829 posts, read 629,414 times
Quote:
Thank you! Again, I am 70 y.o with a bad spine and on blood thinners - and this will be our retirement home. I will be doing very little cooking, and if there is a water disaster, so be it. The Marmoleum is not that expensive and the kitchen is small, so I am not too worried about it.
No matter what type of floor you have, most would sustain some form of damage in a water disaster. You seem to have done a lot of research and made what sounds like the best choices for your own situation. I hope you post and let us know how you feel about the outcome, as it may be helpful to others with a similar situation.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I thought Marmoleum was a linoleum, not a laminate. Anyway, good luck and hope you win the lotto so somebody else can do all the cooking!
Yes and no. Marmoleum sheet is like linoleum. The clic is a laminate floating floor with marmoleum on top and I believe a cork backing, so it is nice underfoot. I won't be doing this until our current house sells and we have more money, but I will be sure to post an update when I do!

Old 09-09-2019, 07:53 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Quote:
Yes and no. Marmoleum sheet is like linoleum. The clic is a laminate floating floor with marmoleum on top and I believe a cork backing, so it is nice underfoot. I won't be doing this until our current house sells and we have more money, but I will be sure to post an update when I do!
Sounds great. Good luck, and thanks in advance for any future updates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House