Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 06:40 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

My refrigerator is currently in working order but today realized that the water line was leaking right at the part that connects to the refrigerator. I have sense closed the valve that allows water to go to the water line which moves along to the refrigerator. (i just have a ice maker).

Looks like the refrigerator is about 20 years old if the date on the back is correct (shows 1999). I figure this is the best sign I should replace it even though it's still working.

I would like to keep having an ice maker so finding another refrigerator would mean the same kind of hook up.

The hookup of water line actually goes under my house (crawl space) because the refrigerator is on the opposite side of the kitchen from the sink area.

Buying a new refrigerator is not an issue but I have no idea what needs to be done in terms of the water line? Is this something buying a new refrigerator at home depot can handle?

It looks like the water line actually has sections. The first section that comes up from the floor meets a piece connecting the other section of water line going to the refrigerator. I'm wondering if worse case scenario one section would just have to be added.

Any advice? Correct terms to use while talking to sales assistant so I go into this without not doing something?

Thanks

This is a picture of the water line & what I call the connector (No idea what it's called)

You can see it coming up from the floor then connecting to another part of the water line.

Last edited by Statz2k10; 11-16-2019 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 07:42 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Sounds like you just need a new flex line. The washer inside the connectors is known to go bad.
But, there's also the possibility that the line has gotten loose. They are "handtight plus a 1/4 turn"- that can certainly work loose from pressure differentials and moving the fridge around or hammering.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Sounds like you just need a new flex line. The washer inside the connectors is known to go bad.
But, there's also the possibility that the line has gotten loose. They are "handtight plus a 1/4 turn"- that can certainly work loose from pressure differentials and moving the fridge around or hammering.

Forgive me some of that is a foreign language to me lol.

I'm def going to buy a new fridge. I feel like since it's 20 years old (didn't know it until i saw a sticker on the back of the fridge showing 1999-july).

So I guess my question is more about getting a new fridge & what needs to be done to set up a new water supply line based off the picture I attached.

The part that you see in the picture. It it likely that they would take the left water line & replace that since that is connecting to the fridge?

What is the piece called in the picture? do you know?

FYI, my concern is that as you can see the water line goes under the house. The way it comes up to the house (opposite side of kitchen) is through the wall behind the sink & because their is a wall under the sink from the cabinets I would be worried about having to get a whole new water line from start to finish. I"m not really sure the challenge would be trying to snake a tiny water line through the wall & behind the sink. It looks like all of that was done when cabinets were installed so one of those set ups that looks good when installed but will be a pain when something needs to be changed.

Thanks for replying

Old 11-16-2019, 07:57 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Now that the picture has downloaded- you need a plumber to run a copper line to the point where it comes through the floor. Then a flex line can hook there and to the fridge.

I can guarantee you that a new fridge will not last as long as the one you have now. The simpler they are, the longer they last.

But, if you must- delivery people will do the hookup. They will require a new flex line. As a rule-of-thumb, once a supply flex line is opened it should be replaced.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Now that the picture has downloaded- you need a plumber to run a copper line to the point where it comes through the floor. Then a flex line can hook there and to the fridge.

I can guarantee you that a new fridge will not last as long as the one you have now. The simpler they are, the longer they last.

But, if you must- delivery people will do the hookup. They will require a new flex line. As a rule-of-thumb, once a supply flex line is opened it should be replaced.
Thanks..

Why will I need a plumber to run a copper line to the point where it comes through the floor? I'm obviously not knowlegeable lol..but by glancing at it seems like I could just replace the left part coming from that middle piece. Then have the new line running from that to the fridge.

I understand your last point about replacing etc..

Last edited by Statz2k10; 11-16-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 PM

Here is a picture of under the sink.. This is mostly the valve area I guess? It's where I shut off the water that goes to the fridge. But you can see the wall behind it. The water supply line is actually feeding through that wooden wall (not shown in picture) which is why I'm not sure it would be an easy way to feed a new line behind that and all the way UNDER the house. Without a lot of work being done.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, best practice would be to use copper line right up till almost the point of the connection to the back of the fridge.

The in-line fitting you have between two pieces of plastic tubing is called a "compression fitting". It is a small job to replace the line with copper. However, from the description of the issue it actually sounds like there's no current problem with that plastic line, just a leak at the connection at the back of the fridge.

If you have a leak at the back of the fridge, then you need first of all to confirm that fitting there is actually tight. If it is, then you just take the line off, cut it an inch shorter, and reinstall with a brand new fitting (including all little internal sealing washers that might be included). If there are no other issues, I'd probably tighten that in-line fitting a bit, and declare victory.

I see no indication whatsoever that you need to replace your refrigerator. It may well be good for another 30 years. If you enjoy wasting money, go ahead and replace it, but that's like junking your car when you get a flat tire.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, best practice would be to use copper line right up till almost the point of the connection to the back of the fridge.

The in-line fitting you have between two pieces of plastic tubing is called a "compression fitting". It is a small job to replace the line with copper. However, from the description of the issue it actually sounds like there's no current problem with that plastic line, just a leak at the connection at the back of the fridge.

If you have a leak at the back of the fridge, then you need first of all to confirm that fitting there is actually tight. If it is, then you just take the line off, cut it an inch shorter, and reinstall with a brand new fitting (including all little internal sealing washers that might be included). If there are no other issues, I'd probably tighten that in-line fitting a bit, and declare victory.

I see no indication whatsoever that you need to replace your refrigerator. It may well be good for another 30 years. If you enjoy wasting money, go ahead and replace it, but that's like junking your car when you get a flat tire.
Thank you!

Compression fitting is the piece I was curious about to try and explain things better so glad you mentioned that.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I get a new fridge the water supply line going from the fridge to the compression fitting is all that would need to be changed? And the part going under the house could remain untouched through out all of this?

The reason I want to replace the fridge is because I know it's not the best in terms of keeping the fridge & freezer cold. It's letting go of the cold because of the sealant? around the doors. You can tell by just putting your fingers under the freezer door. So I feel like I might actually save energy by having a new fridge. It runs a lot which they've always said that hot water heater & fridge are 2 of the most energy consumptions in a house.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
My refrigerator is currently in working order but today realized that the water line was leaking right at the part that connects to the refrigerator. I have sense closed the valve that allows water to go to the water line which moves along to the refrigerator. (i just have a ice maker).

If you tighten it just a little it will probably stop leaking. It's a compression fitting, inside there is brass ring also called a ferrule. Since it's just soft brass it will deform slightly creating a water tight seal and solid connection.

Quote:
Buying a new refrigerator is not an issue but I have no idea what needs to be done in terms of the water line? Is this something buying a new refrigerator at home depot can handle?
You can probably use existing line, a new ferrule should be used. About 25 cents at any hardware store.

Quote:
It looks like the water line actually has sections
That's probably because the line wasn't long enough. Personally I would replace it with single line, one less point of failure. Be very careful with the fitting that connects to the pipe with the valve, if that starts leaking it's not a simple fix that can be done with wrenches.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

That's probably because the line wasn't long enough. Personally I would replace it with single line, one less point of failure. Be very careful with the fitting that connects to the pipe with the valve, if that starts leaking it's not a simple fix that can be done with wrenches.

Are you referring to the part under the sink? Or attaching to the fridge? I know the line is pretty long. it starts under the sink. Goes under the house (into crawl area) comes back up through the floor where the fridge is. This is the concern I have. I am hoping I can just have a new supply line that goes into the compression fitting and have them connect it to the new fridge. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House