Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 04:19 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Call?

I'm delighted if they ever actually show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 08:25 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
I think so. At least a text. Even with the exterior, some homeowners may forget the contractor was coming and get spooked.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I think a simple text giving me a heads up is good.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:44 AM

63 posts, read 36,590 times
OP, if I have some exterior work which I want to be present for, I usually call the company and tell them to give me a call to coordinate a meeting time. If I do not need to be present, they can come and go as they please within normal working hours.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:47 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Call?

Sadly, this is the problem with many contractors.

It is also the problem with many people who employ contractors.

Time is money. They need to get paid for every moment of their time. People don't want to pay $75 an hour to have a trim painter do some work, including his phone time to confirm and his travel time.

I get it.

But we have established as a population that we won't pay, and therefore don't want, such pleasantries as establishing appointments and confirming them.

Think about it, suppose the contactor has allocated a half day to do your work. He calls at 8 a.m. and you say, for no reason other than you have to run junior to school, that today is not a good day. That is four hours of his time that is now "available" and for which he doesn't get paid. That means the next four hours has to include"payment" for that wasted time. That means his $75 and hour is now $150. Okay extreme example, but do you even want to pay $90 or $100 for his time to compensate for your being unavailable? Probably not.

Door swings both ways. It is why we have lots of poor quality contractors who don't call, and don't show up. Maybe it is because we are poor customers?

Old 12-12-2019, 10:26 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I hired a company to do some work on the exterior of my house. We set up an appointment and they did the work but some of it has to be redone.

Since then, they sent somebody out to inspect the work and get my feedback, and then sent someone else out at another time to do some measurements. They did not call either time.

Shouldn't they call before they come out? Or is it normal to drop in without calling first? Thought about calling them and letting them know that I expect to be called, but don't want to come across as a jerk.
It's kind of an "ongoing job" since they've already done some work, and I personally feel that the fact they are coming back to check on things shows they value the quality of their work.

It wouldn't hurt their feelings if you simply asked them to please call first though. Tell them you want to make sure the Rottweiler is put up first, since he's already eaten the last 4 postmen.

SS

Old 12-12-2019, 10:31 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Our landscaper doesn't call first. The water guys (we have a well) do. We are supposed to have an a/c guy come at some point this week and I'm pretty sure he'll need inside access, so I'm hoping he calls when he's on his way so I can at least let him know if I'm here or head home if I'm at the store or something.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:40 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
As a professional, I believe a courtesy call or text is always best unless it’s a contractor (landscaper) who comes weekly or biweekly on a pre-scheduled day. A call or text also provides you with notice in case you need to meet with the vendor or discuss something prior to his arrival.

Almost everyone uses a smart phone so lost time is really no longer a valid excuse❗️

Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 AM

39 posts, read 26,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Call?

This. I wish I had the problem of unannounced visits.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:54 AM

15,795 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Exterior work where you don't need me to be there? SOmetimes i get a courtesy call, but usually not. I might get a "might swing by this week" heads up and that's it.

I once had the town building inspector show up without warning to inspect my deck and sign off a permit. I happened to be home, alone. Imagine my surprise when i walked out the open back door of my garage and bumped into him (physically) in my backyard not knowing who he was or why he was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House