Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 08:16 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

This thread is a hoot. I want to burn some wood now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 09:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
This one is laying across my driveway and through my 40’ flowerbed. To bury it they have to dig up my asphalt driveway, move the rock wall I just paid thousands to have stacked and cemented in place and dig up my flower bed. It is eventually going to be cut by the snow plow, snow blower or lawn mower.

I am going to have a nice polite conversation. If they stop burnt the stove, I will ignore the wire running through the yard. If not, I am fixing my ridiculously loud Harley motorcycle with the carb and screaming eagle kit so I can let it idle and rev it during prime times. I am also buying my son the atv he has been asking for and possibly one for me and we will turn the back yard into a fun track. I am also going to mount speakers off my deck so I can play the most obnoxious rap music all day long...

I promise I can make them equally miserable in their own homeZ
Lol. Yeah I don’t see that happening.

You sound psychotic.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:45 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times

Maybe the OP can put up a banner like this. This one is a few blocks away from me. I never thought much about wood smoke but I guess it's a "thing." I personally like the smell of wood smoke (in small doses of course).

Old 01-09-2020, 09:01 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am trying to have a peaceful weekend home, catching up on laundry. But instead, I am suffering from a sinus headache because one of our neighbors burning some type of wood. The smoke smell is entering my house, despite that I have checked to make sure all the windows and doors are sealed tight.

A few years ago we had an energy audit and the house checked to make sure it was sealed. I have 2 1/2 acres, so not exactly on top of my neighbors.

I have allergies, asthma and lots of sinus issues. The wood smoke is not helping the situation. We heat the house by electric and a propane gas stove insert in our fireplace. Which are both very clean.

I know I can’t make them stop burning their stoves but I am going to hope that they will stop burning wood so I can stop suffering.
Have you even told the new neighbors there is a problem? They probably do not have ESP.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:05 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I'm dying to know the OP's age, as if I didn't already know.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm dying to know the OP's age, as if I didn't already know.
IIRC, she is in her 40s.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, I have to say it's amusing that many of the same posters who think having outdoor lights on at night is a crime against nature and an assault on the entire neighborhood

There is neighbor near my parents that leaves his light on near his driveway 24/7, not sure why he never put in on automatic day/night switch. Bad corner and I'd imagine the primary reason he has it on is so cars can see him. My Dad uses it to determine if the power is out, first thing he looks at if it goes out. He has generator on interlock which needs to be manually switched between generator and line power. It's also how he tells if the power is back on.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:19 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As one of the people who went on the record against constant outdoor lighting, and also in favor of the neighbor being within their rights to use a wood stove, I would like to clarify and point out that this is not an inconsistent position.

For the record, I did not attack Diana, unless you want to categorize disagreement as an attack.

Lights and woodsmoke are both forms of pollution so is blasting loud music, using leaf blowers, driving your car, and so forth. The nature and extent of the harm can be debated, but they are pollution.

I did not say that neighbors should not be allowed to leave their lights in all night. I have a few neighbors that do so, I find it annoying and silly, but I do not mention it to them. Of course they can leave their lights on. Similarly, it is obvious that OP finds the smoke annoying. However, that does not mean that OP has the authority to restrict the neighbors use of their own property.

Do you see the consistency here? Things can be annoying, but at the same time it can be acknowledged that the annoyance is within somebody’s rights and it will continue.
FWIW, outdoor lighting burning constantly every single night, all night long is one thing. Occasional smoke from a fireplace chimney is quite another.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:35 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
FWIW, outdoor lighting burning constantly every single night, all night long is one thing. Occasional smoke from a fireplace chimney is quite another.
There is also the fact that lights can be directed, smoke not so much.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:46 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Unfortunately I think we'll be hearing about this story on the news in the future.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House