Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 12:03 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

I am trying to have a peaceful weekend home, catching up on laundry. But instead, I am suffering from a sinus headache because one of our neighbors burning some type of wood. The smoke smell is entering my house, despite that I have checked to make sure all the windows and doors are sealed tight.

A few years ago we had an energy audit and the house checked to make sure it was sealed. I have 2 1/2 acres, so not exactly on top of my neighbors.

I have allergies, asthma and lots of sinus issues. The wood smoke is not helping the situation. We heat the house by electric and a propane gas stove insert in our fireplace. Which are both very clean.

I know I can’t make them stop burning their stoves but I am going to hope that they will stop burning wood so I can stop suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 12:12 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
If you have an exhaust fan over your stove and/or in your bathrooms, the smoke smell is probably coming in that way. Even those flap vent closures don't seal tightly.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:19 PM

It’s my new neighbors. They just moved in last week. Currently they have an internet wire through my driveway and yard. I am going to cut it. If I am going to suffer... so are they.

I miss the old lady that use to live there. We saw her once in a blue moon and she was never a bother. These new people have been exhausting from the get go...

Old 01-05-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
If you have an exhaust fan over your stove and/or in your bathrooms, the smoke smell is probably coming in that way. Even those flap vent closures don't seal tightly.
How do I seal them? I have such a pounding headache I can’t think straight.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:28 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It’s my new neighbors. They just moved in last week. Currently they have an internet wire through my driveway and yard. I am going to cut it. If I am going to suffer... so are they.

I miss the old lady that use to live there. We saw her once in a blue moon and she was never a bother. These new people have been exhausting from the get go...
Sounds like you are going to make it worse for yourself if that is a utility easement. Maybe even expensive.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
I am trying to have a peaceful weekend home, catching up on laundry. But instead, I am suffering from a sinus headache because one of our neighbors burning some type of wood. The smoke smell is entering my house, despite that I have checked to make sure all the windows and doors are sealed tight.

A few years ago we had an energy audit and the house checked to make sure it was sealed. I have 2 1/2 acres, so not exactly on top of my neighbors.

I have allergies, asthma and lots of sinus issues. The wood smoke is not helping the situation. We heat the house by electric and a propane gas stove insert in our fireplace. Which are both very clean.

I know I can’t make them stop burning their stoves but I am going to hope that they will stop burning wood so I can stop suffering.

This is, whether you like it or not, your problem. Something inside your house is leaking, energy audit or not, and your responsibility for your own health problems means you need to find out what it is and take appropriate action.

And threatening to cut the internet wire? Really? You think that isn't far far worse than using one's own wood stove? That's vandalism, pure and simple.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:33 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
I miss the old lady that use to live there. We saw her once in a blue moon.
LOL! You sound like a great neighbor.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:34 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
The subject matter has been covered many times before!
Hashed, rehashed, cussed, and discussed!

Remember the "Search Forum" box-

This thread is the most "covered":

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...ace-smoke.html

Old 01-05-2020, 12:38 PM

In doing some research, if someone has health issues that the smoke aggravates, I can report them and they would have to stop burning the fireplace. I am calling our local environmental office tomorrow to report them

Old 01-05-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is, whether you like it or not, your problem. Something inside your house is leaking, energy audit or not, and your responsibility for your own health problems means you need to find out what it is and take appropriate action.

And threatening to cut the internet wire? Really? You think that isn't far far worse than using one's own wood stove? That's vandalism, pure and simple.
Your right. I will call Verizon tomorrow and tell them to move the wire off my property. They attempted to dig up my asphalt driveway last week but I asked them to leave, so they returned a few days later and just stretched the cord over my driveway and yard. They are going to move that as well. My neighbors internet does not have to be at the expense of them digging up my driveway and flower bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House