Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2023, 07:38 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Maybe if OP harrasses them enough, they'll be creeped out and decide to move instead.

Problem solved! Maybe this is what OP wants.

If you went to eat at a Cracker Barrel, where they (to my delight) burn wood in a big fireplace in the winter, would you call the health department and news stations and sue them, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 10:13 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
If the smoke is literally filling your house, then there is something wrong with your house. After reading this thread I see that in over 3 years you never once mentioned actually talking to them about the issue. Have you done that at all? You also talk about suing them. What do you expect to sue them for? Is there some law or ordnance that they are breaking?

First, talk to them. Second, find out whats wrong with your house. You have had over 3 years. If in that whole three years you never did any of that then I dont really know what you are expecting but to come on here and complain.
You literally copied where I said the neighbor has come over himself to see the issue. I have said lots to neighbor over the last 3 years.

I have also had the house sealed, air tested, insulated siding installed, new roof, windows, doors and all new venting.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe if OP harrasses them enough, they'll be creeped out and decide to move instead.

Problem solved! Maybe this is what OP wants.

If you went to eat at a Cracker Barrel, where they (to my delight) burn wood in a big fireplace in the winter, would you call the health department and news stations and sue them, too?
In all my times of being in Cracker Barrel, I have never seen the restaurant smoke filled.

I can’t keep ending up in the hospital. My husband is also now having respiratory issues.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:32 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
You literally copied where I said the neighbor has come over himself to see the issue. I have said lots to neighbor over the last 3 years.

I have also had the house sealed, air tested, insulated siding installed, new roof, windows, doors and all new venting.
My bad, you are right. That still doesnt change the fact that there is something wrong with your house. Any well built house will not have smoke pouring into it from the outside.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:06 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:

Sounds like a nice enough neighbor to come to your house to check your air.
What did he say?

Your money better spent not on attorney but on chimney inspector for your neighbor.
Questions for you:
- does your neighbor live in a mobile?
- if - in the house - how tall is his house?
- ask your husband to estimate the height of the neighbor’s chimney
We may have better suggestions knowing the answers.

Is there a possibility that a burned smell you are sensing is coming from somewhere else in the neighborhood?
Do you have a waste treatment plant, landfill nearby, gravel pit with machinery, etc

What type of heat do you use? Was the heating equipment in your house tested and service - burners, etc?

If you insist that there is nothing wrong with your house - then how does the smoke finds your house?

You must agree that it isn’t possible in the woods for a smoke to travel long distance and specifically attack your house - unless we know the answers to the que above.

Sorry about your suffering

Old 01-20-2023, 12:41 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
In all my times of being in Cracker Barrel, I have never seen the restaurant smoke filled.

I can’t keep ending up in the hospital. My husband is also now having respiratory issues.
Has it ever occurred to you to call the fire department if your house is literally "smoke-filled"?

At least then you'd have confirmation and documented proof that this is actually happening...

Old 01-20-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
My bad, you are right. That still doesnt change the fact that there is something wrong with your house. Any well built house will not have smoke pouring into it from the outside.
Every house breathes. No house is air tight, which would be unhealthy from
What I have been told by experts.

I think the issue is we are down lower and the wind blows towards our house, all the time.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Has it ever occurred to you to call the fire department if your house is literally "smoke-filled"?

At least then you'd have confirmation and documented proof that this is actually happening...
When it first started I actually did call the fire department, because I thought the house was on fire. They determined it was not our house on fire.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Sounds like a nice enough neighbor to come to your house to check your air.
What did he say?

Your money better spent not on attorney but on chimney inspector for your neighbor.
Questions for you:
- does your neighbor live in a mobile?
- if - in the house - how tall is his house?
- ask your husband to estimate the height of the neighbor’s chimney
We may have better suggestions knowing the answers.

Is there a possibility that a burned smell you are sensing is coming from somewhere else in the neighborhood?
Do you have a waste treatment plant, landfill nearby, gravel pit with machinery, etc

What type of heat do you use? Was the heating equipment in your house tested and service - burners, etc?

If you insist that there is nothing wrong with your house - then how does the smoke finds your house?

You must agree that it isn’t possible in the woods for a smoke to travel long distance and specifically attack your house - unless we know the answers to the que above.

Sorry about your suffering
He has no idea what is causing it but it’s how he wants to heat his house.

He has a standard bi level. My house sits much lower in the valley. We each have over 2 acres. There has to be a good 25 yards better houses.

He states he had his chimney cleaned and inspected this year. His chimne is no more that 3 ft off his roof.

No other neighbors burn wood and we have timed it so close that when he adds wood, our house fills with smoke within 5 minutes.

We have two electric heat pumps and a propane fireplace insert.we only use the fireplace when we sit in the family room, which isn’t often. Nothing wood and rarely even light candles.

I am still paying a lofty bill to remodel the house With the hope this would have ended. I am out of money to throw at it. Suing civilly is really my only option at this point.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:41 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Every house breathes. No house is air tight, which would be unhealthy from
What I have been told by experts.

I think the issue is we are down lower and the wind blows towards our house, all the time.
Breath yes, being literally filled with smoke from a normal smoke fire, no. That is no normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House