Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 07:11 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times

Advertisements

So we had some wind and limb damage to our roof and it started leaking. The roof is almost 20 years old in most spots and over that in a couple areas. Had insurance come and take a look and they are talking about replacing the entire thing, but I'm not sure I want the same kind of shingles that were already up there (builder quality), and have been looking at metal roofing that looks like asphalt shingles. Seems to be much higher quality, both in the "dimensional shake" and in the flashing and edging. But man is it expensive compared to fiber shingles. Though maybe not considering it looks like the quote includes having the sheathing replaced (the original '30s sheathing is boards that are uneven and have gaps that are pretty big). And it includes much better underlayment than the typical paper.

Anybody have good or bad experiences with this company? https://www.erieconstruction.com/metal-roofing-systems or metal roofing in general?

It's acrylic coated so there's no "grit" to come off, but it doesn't seem to be as slippery as regular metal roofs. And it looks like it has coatings that make it not as loud in the rain as normal metal roofing, too. The company talks about a 100 year warranty, and basically I'd never have to think about my roof again. Would it be of benefit to spend the extra money over the insurance payout to do this? Would it increase the value of the home by any more than just having a new roof would?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
The easy answer- weigh the cost over how long you think you may reside in the house. Or, the fact that the house is approaching the century mark- how much longer do you think the house will stand (not necessarily that it could another 100; but would it)?

I'd just do a 30yr architectural grade shingle and know the structure is protected for the rest of my lifetime, and use the additional monies for other more important things.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the input!

Well, it's $10k more to do the metal vs high quality asphalt ($31k vs $21k) and the asphalt price is there mostly because in either case I want the better underlayment and need new sheathing on much of it. I'm just trying to decide for myself whether the extra $10k more can be worth the peace of mind and if it can be absorbed in sale price IF I do sell (I could be here for a year or 20, depending on a number of factors). I think the house will be here for a long time to come, though. It's built pretty solid (not square, by any stretch of the imagination, but solidly nonetheless with serious wood framing).

I also was interested in any experience anyone had with the metal roofing and this company (I've seen mostly good reviews, but it's always good to hear from various sources...) before making a decision.

My neighbor had roofing done on her house and had to go through a couple different companies (she's suing the first company that worked on it) and the workmanship was kind of shoddy. I'm trying not to go through that hassle: using cheaper contractors that use builder grade stuff that can have the warranty voided if they nail it wrong or if it gets walked on...

Old 01-09-2020, 10:08 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Get a copy of the latest Fine Homebuilding. There is an article in there on metal roofs to include "look alikes" for shingles. I have not read the article yet, but you will likely find it helpful, with links to suppliers.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
It's not really clear to me why you would want to use a more expensive, more durable material to simulate a less expensive, less durable one.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:37 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
If/when you sell, the buyers will likely appreciate that you have a new ( or fairly new) roof, but don't expect to get the extra $10,000 back when you sell.

I wouldn't do it in MD. You just don't get that much bad weather there. (I lived there for 35 years)

Just get the better quality underlayment and a medium to higher grade shingle. I did a new roof here in VT 2 years ago. Contractor gave a choice of shingle quality. I picked the medium grade with the high quality underlay. I would have loved to get a metal roof which would have been great with all the snow up here, but my HOA doesn't allow it.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:49 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I also was interested in any experience anyone had with the metal roofing and this company (I've seen mostly good reviews, but it's always good to hear from various sources...) before making a decision.

I have no direct experience with metal shingle, but I did get to see up-close a house that was being built in a golf course community here north of the ATL. This particular roof was a shake style roof with a textured surface. It was a dark grey/black color-

This particular home was in the 6k sq/ft range in a French provincial style- from the ground it appeared to be a weathered shake roof.

The individual units inter-locked to the lower course, and I believe they were screwed to the structure- purlins. There was no decking- I could see the entire roof and structure in the attic.

The particular company- Erie- I've never heard of, though they apparently have a branch here. After perusing their website it reminds of multiple companies that are high-pressure, commission companies that push products that are usually inferior to more well known national brands- like "Champion Windows". And I would put money on the fact that they actually don't manufacture that particular roof- it's most likely manufactured by one of a few of the metal shingle manufacturers using a thinner gauge metal and other inferior products and they slap their name on it.

Kinda like all split-windows aren't '63 and all 427 '67 are not real!

Old 01-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Excellent feedback. Roofing companies seem to be hit or miss around here for quality (as my neighbor found out). I'm going to keep looking into options, but I want to get it fixed soon as the damage to the upper floor ceilings is only going to get worse...

Old 01-09-2020, 08:04 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Excellent feedback. Roofing companies seem to be hit or miss around here for quality (as my neighbor found out). I'm going to keep looking into options, but I want to get it fixed soon as the damage to the upper floor ceilings is only going to get worse...
Get one of the roofer contractors to put tarps over the damaged areas until you decide what to do.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The individual units inter-locked to the lower course, and I believe they were screwed to the structure- purlins. There was no decking- I could see the entire roof and structure in the attic.
oh, about this, the contractor did say they were going to replace the decking with new plywood decking and then put down the underlayment (which is basically plastic coated Tyvek type material, it looks like). No purlins. I know what you saw and I've seen it too in metal roof installations. I don't think there's underlayment put down in those installations.

Quote:
The particular company- Erie- I've never heard of, though they apparently have a branch here. After perusing their website it reminds of multiple companies that are high-pressure, commission companies that push products that are usually inferior to more well known national brands- like "Champion Windows". And I would put money on the fact that they actually don't manufacture that particular roof- it's most likely manufactured by one of a few of the metal shingle manufacturers using a thinner gauge metal and other inferior products and they slap their name on it.
Yeah, not sure if they make it or if they buy it. They claim to make it, and the shingles, edging and flashing are really thick metal. Definitely thicker than the ribbed flat metal normally seen on roofing. Didn't seem to be much pressure from the guy, but they've also only been in MD for a few months, and I had never heard of them before we contacted them, either.

I'm getting a tarp put on this weekend after the snow melts. Hopefully that'll give me time to look around some more. I still kind of like this product vs normal asphalt. Especially now that I've seen how easy the asphalt gets damaged from wind/limbs, and just walking on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House