Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 02:26 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,609 times

Advertisements

I have a Craftsman home that dates to 1914, and the staircase to the second floor is very difficult to use. It is very narrow (24" wall to wall) and steep (not even remotely up to modern code). This renders my second floor mostly useless. However, thanks to a recent stock sale (thank you, Elon Musk!), I would like to remodel my house so that the second floor is usable. This means completely moving the stairs, as any expansion would render my bathroom inaccessible. (The bathroom is L-shaped and wraps around the staircase footprint.)

Has anyone done this type of work? Online estimates are very vague, of course, but it would be nice to hear about the experience from someone who has been through it. Were there any big surprises? Was the cost of the work within your expectations? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm going to include improvements to my second floor as part of the work. Unlike downstairs, which has mostly plaster walls, everything upstairs is drywall. Therefore, I'm going to knock everything down and open up the space for a master suite. Luckily demo doesn't cost too much... If I have money leftover, I want to put in a bathroom upstairs and remodel the one downstairs to take advantage of the extra space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 03:35 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
A not so WAG- $100k (here; ATL) In Cali, probably twice as much!

There's a lot more to than you see-
Not going into a long dissertation- consult with a local architect for possible plans/layout.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:39 PM

19,012 posts, read 14,191,607 times
I am guessing that is the servant / cook's staircase. It was common for the staff to live upstairs / away from the owner's family. If it is the only staircase I would be surprised. FWIW - check out the old Sears Catalog house "The Magnolia" for an example of two staircases for two classes.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:00 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I am guessing that is the servant / cook's staircase. It was common for the staff to live upstairs / away from the owner's family. If it is the only staircase I would be surprised. FWIW - check out the old Sears Catalog house "The Magnolia" for an example of two staircases for two classes.

Funny you should mention the "Magnolia"- that is my very favorite of the Sears homes! I would have loved to have built (an "updated" version) one for myself. But I don't need a house like that anymore!

Old 01-17-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A not so WAG- $100k (here; ATL) In Cali, probably twice as much!

There's a lot more to than you see-
Not going into a long dissertation- consult with a local architect for possible plans/layout.
Ouch! Definitely more than I was hoping. I plan on consulting an architect for sure, and hopefully they can come up with something that doesn't break the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
This is the only staircase, thus my desire to relocate it. My home is around 1,300 sf and there are several in the neighborhood. All of them have upstairs living, but at least one has been retrofitted with external access to the second level. I'm hoping to keep the steps inside, but we'll see...

Old 01-17-2020, 05:05 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,089 times
There's no way to know if it's $10k or $100k without a lot more information. A floor plan would be a good place to start. There needs to be a place to move the staircase on both floors. This will most likely involve a lot more renovations than you think.

Talk to an architect, preferably one familiar with Craftsman style houses. He can tell you the options, provide a rough budget number based on what you want to spend, and suggest reputable contractors to give you realistic estimates.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:17 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Stairs are complicated structural elements. The joists above have to be engineered to transfer the loads around the opening, you need adequate headroom (typically min. 6’-8”) and the space required for a code complying unit, min. 3’-0” wide, 7 1/2” riser, 11” tread plus min. 3’ landings you are looking at ~100sf - about the size of a small bedroom.

I’ve designed a few in Craftsman homes and they are challenging to incorporate that required space without typically cannibalizing a small room. If the space upstairs is potentially functional - enough square footage, head height, windows, plumbing etc., it can be well worth capturing it. You need a designer who can provide you with a “big picture” concept to analyze it.

Last edited by T. Damon; 01-18-2020 at 12:30 PM..

Old 01-18-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Stairs are complicated structural elements. The joists above have to be engineered to transfer the loads around the opening, you need adequate headroom (typically min. 6’-8”) and the space required for a code complying unit, min. 3’-0” wide, 7 1/2” riser, 11” tread plus min. 3’ landings you are looking at ~100sf - about the size of a small bedroom.

I’ve designed a few in Craftsman homes and they are challenging to incorporate that required space without typically cannibalizing a small room. If the space upstairs is potentially functional - enough square footage, head height, windows, plumbing etc., it can be well worth capturing it. You need a designer who can provide you with a “big picture” concept to analyze it.
Thanks for the dimensions. Yes, it's worth it from a space perspective. I have 2 bedrooms downstairs and 2 more upstairs, so sacrificing some space downstairs should hopefully translate into the creation of a usable master suite (with bathroom and office) upstairs.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:22 PM

In case anyone has curiosity, here is what the stairs look like from the first and second level, plus a shot that shows the staircase overhead in the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating Stairs in Old House-1.jpg   Relocating Stairs in Old House-2.jpg   Relocating Stairs in Old House-3.jpg  

Old 01-18-2020, 07:43 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Well, from three photographs it seems to me that you would have a chance simply to widen the stairs that are there, by relocating the entrance to the bathroom on the first floor and letting the stairs encroach on that space. That MIGHT be the lowest cost option.

That upstairs area looks like it's been messed with. I don't believe it looked like that in 1914.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House