Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:13 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Your quick, you beat me to it!
Ok that's good to know; assuming whomever did the siding followed the correct method you guys state, then am I correct in assuming the prior existence of a window is now irrelevant, as the original opening is no longer open (has been studded in), so would now be no different to installing a window where none ever was?

I'd had it in my head that if the opening was left as is, it'd simplify the job to use it for the new window. You do mention if header is left it'll save framing. I want it in same location, yes.

I mentioned above discovering windows left in situ in a 1902 house; drywall and cupboards were over them, but they were visible exteriorly, no siding over them. Unfathomable to me how someone would do that.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 01-23-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 09:55 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
lmao no dude, are you not picking up what I'm puttin down?
I want to revert to any original looks that I can, not doing a historical restoration obvi but if I can choose old look over new, I will.

Sadly the bathroom is updated, 90s look. In too good of shape to warrant a gut; plus if I can't have original I have no interest in updating it to 2020 look, so 90s it is. So yeah, there's that. But anything I CAN "revert" to I will. It has the lovely original wood floors too, not that horrid vinyl plank I see everywhere. It was an estate sale, same owner since 1980 who died.
If you're looking to maintain or restore the 1940's look you'll need to trade in that fiberglass surround for ceramic tile, probably 4"x4" with a contrasting color bullnose edging. The advantage you have now that the original builder did not is the availability of current windows impervious to the consequences of daily indoor showers.

You may even find that in opening up the wall the original framing is there and in good shape, probably true if it was only removed in the last few years; the existence of the original header will simplify installation of a replacement window. The old tile will not be reusable even if it was still there. I say this because it was common when the house was built to install tile on sheetrock and when that failed the sheetrock would be replaced, often multiple times until the job became too big and something like a fiberglass surround was installed! Also your photo shows a very clean, flat and apparently square bathtub area indicating that surround has not been there long.

Last edited by kokonutty; 01-23-2020 at 10:11 PM..

Old 01-23-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

You may even find that in opening up the wall the original framing around the long ago removed window is still in place and in good shape so you'll be dealing with largely only cosmetic work. What is the exterior siding material?
Posts just above tell me the original opening likely had studs placed when siding was installed that covered the -removed- original window. You kind of echo my original thought, that the opening could be used and thereby simplify the job. I mean I guess cutting out the new studs would then render the original opening usable.

Exterior is modern vinyl siding, put in sometime after 2011 as that's the date of the photos I found showing the original window in place, not yet covered by siding.

This bathroom is seriously the size of an elevator; why would they cover a window, ergh. Way to make a bathroom feel like being buried alive. You can see by the photo how tiny it is.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Posts just above tell me the original opening likely had studs placed when siding was installed that covered the -removed- original window. You kind of echo my original thought, that the opening could be used and thereby simplify the job.

Exterior is modern vinyl siding, put in sometime after 2011 as that's the date of the photos I found showing the original window in place, not yet covered by siding.

This bathroom is seriously the size of an elevator; why would they cover a window, ergh. Way to make a bathroom feel like bing buried alive. You can see by the photo how tiny it is.
Was editing the above post when you replied, take a look. As to why they'd take out a window, that's there too in addition to the window rotting out as the walls around it failed.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:19 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
None. Siding is newer-ish vinyl not original. But the neighbor's identical model house having the window has me thinking one was originally there. If he cuts into the surround and original tile is there, that'd be sweet. Is any adhesive used with surrounds? If so that may've ruined any tile if so.
Have you asked the neighbor if their window is original or not? If they have any problems?

Old 01-23-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Was editing the above post when you replied, take a look. As to why they'd take out a window, that's there too in addition to the window rotting out as the walls around it failed.
Oh gotcha, thanks!

This joint was so immaculately maintained, -same owner 1980-present, an estate sale, they died- I don't think it was a case of rotted out kinda thing, going by the condition of the other original aspects, and the basement, etc. The 1960s era attic makeover into a bedroom looks like it was done last week and Marcia and Jan live there, and the original cupboards and COUNTERS *swoon* are in perfect shape, just as examples. Yet mechanicals are all updated, pretty sweet.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, I finally looked at the picture.

If I were you, I would budget and plan that the whole tub surround has to come out, all three walls taken down to studs, take out a stud if they put one in the middle of the former window opening, adjust the framing around the window, install new (you'll want a good quality double pane window that's designed for wet/humid environments) window, cut siding on outside, trim work on outside, new green board on the three walls, new tile (tiling around and up to a window has its own challenges). You MIGHT find that less than 100% of this is needed, but that's what you need to plan on.

Here's another thing: if this house was built in '50, the enamel on that tub is probably getting pretty darn thin by now. I distrust these heavily advertised "re-enameling" processes for tubs, since they can't put new porcelain and fire it at a red heat. You probably ought to budget for putting in a new tub too. When the tub's enamel starts to pit, or the iron below it starts to show through (it looks like you never can get the tub quite clean), EVERYTHING has to come out in order to replace the tub.

Is that the only exterior wall where a window could be? If not, I'd strongly consider piercing for a window in one of the other walls. If it is, I'd strongly consider just leaving well enough alone till you're prepared to do the whole thing top to bottom.

By the way, the oak-rimmed mirror/medicine chest and vanity, and the plastic vanity top, are definitely anachronistic to the era of the house, so if you're really trying to go there, those need to be replaced. But I would just paint the wood white and declare victory, myself, as long as the items are in good physical condition.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I finally looked at the picture.

If I were you, I would budget and plan that the whole tub surround has to come out, all three walls taken down to studs, take out a stud if they put one in the middle of the former window opening, adjust the framing around the window, install new (you'll want a good quality double pane window that's designed for wet/humid environments) window, cut siding on outside, trim work on outside, new green board on the three walls, new tile (tiling around and up to a window has its own challenges). You MIGHT find that less than 100% of this is needed, but that's what you need to plan on.

Here's another thing: if this house was built in '50, the enamel on that tub is probably getting pretty darn thin by now. I distrust these heavily advertised "re-enameling" processes for tubs, since they can't put new porcelain and fire it at a red heat. You probably ought to budget for putting in a new tub too. When the tub's enamel starts to pit, or the iron below it starts to show through (it looks like you never can get the tub quite clean), EVERYTHING has to come out in order to replace the tub.

Is that the only exterior wall where a window could be? If not, I'd strongly consider piercing for a window in one of the other walls. If it is, I'd strongly consider just leaving well enough alone till you're prepared to do the whole thing top to bottom.

By the way, the oak-rimmed mirror/medicine chest and vanity, and the plastic vanity top, are definitely anachronistic to the era of the house, so if you're really trying to go there, those need to be replaced. But I would just paint the wood white and declare victory, myself, as long as the items are in good physical condition.
I appreciate such a detailed reply, thank you!

I've been through several bigass renos and more than several lesser remodels so I totally get what you suggest. If I were trying for a bathroom redo I'd do exactly as you say as it makes total sense.

That's not my goal here, though. I'm fine, well, fine enough that I wouldn't spend money to change it, with the icky 90s bathroom, it's in great shape.
The tub is original and in great shape; I've had that before, in two early 50s houses, tubs in perfect condition enamel wise. This one is too; not a re-enamel. I've seen what you mention -worn enamel-, yes that is common for sure.

When I say I want to stick by original I don't mean I want to do a period restoration; I mean just that if I'm doing a window, I want to keep it as original looking as I can, in this case.

Sadly, yes, in that coffinlike bathroom that is indeed the only exterior wall. A window was there originally, seen on Google street map 2011.

I don't want to bother with tile, a new surround is simpler, again if I were shooting for optimal beauty, sure I'd get nice looking tile. This is more for practical purpose: I WANT a window that opens and I want it size of original, not narrow transom style. Goal is max open feeling, see.

All the rest of what you describe as far as the materials/process I did anticipate, having been through bathroom redos before but this surround thing is what got me questioning initially, as I hoped to keep it since it's in such great shape.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 01-24-2020 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-24-2020, 06:57 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
I agree, good advice above by turf3 ❗️

Old 01-24-2020, 06:59 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
I viewed a street view on Google maps from 2007 and 2011 and there was a window there at that time!

Would the siding be put over it as is or would they cover it with plywood...?
I can't imagine they removed it, probably just put plywood over it.
I know you got other answers on this, but there are other possibilities. When I resided my old bungalow, I had one original wavy glass window in the dormer, but there were two other windows (one on each side) visible in the attic. I was so pleased when the old siding came off and the other two windows were revealed and I was able to restore them, thus bringing the original set back to what it should look like. It was one time when the siding company's cheapness paid off, because they had just put siding over the windows instead of doing the job the "right" way. Maybe you'll luck out as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House