Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 11:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I pay property taxes too. And the HOA can levy a special assessment at any time. They are out of the blue and due immediately. I was told last night we are about to have another one. And the monthly will continue to go up. I started at closer to $100 when I moved in 15 years ago.
More or less the same with property taxes. in the two years since I bought my house they have gone up 20% while the market value has gone up between 1-2%. Every year they try and increase it 13% I appeal and give my best fight and they go up 10% instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 01:40 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think I did. But it's futile to discuss. It's sold. I guess I just need to process. Or discover that I didn't make a mistake and feel good about my choice.

I did not enjoy the month I spent there house and pet sitting. But I didn't take into consideration that all of my stuff would be moved in and I'd be more at home that way. Yard for a dog. A BIG back yard. More privacy. LOVE the nextdoor neighbors. I would have created community there too.
Don't dwell on it. You could have found that you loathed doing yard work, or dealing with things that come up on an old house, etc...You're happy where you are and you didn't want to live there, and oyu didn't like living there.

If Privacy and a yard were big deals to you, you would have appreciated them more when you were there. But you don't seem to lack privacy at your Condo and like not dealing with a yard.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:25 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Too late now, just move forward.

If you want a house, you can still sell your condo and buy one!

Old 02-03-2020, 05:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Move to Texas:>)
LOL right. We pay nearly $500 a month in property taxes, and then $30 a month for HOA fees, and then of course all the maintenance and good stuff ourselves, in Texas. And not even in a major metro.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:47 PM

OP, quit thinking about that house. It's sold. It's over with. Move forward!

Old 02-04-2020, 03:14 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP, quit thinking about that house. It's sold. It's over with. Move forward!
It's my personality to need to run through things again in general, and in this case, some changes happened that I didn't really process and consider changing my mind when I could have. So the thread is helpful to me.

In the end, I can't afford slab leaks or the 10K to fix the foundation. I had greedy eyes for more space and the yard.

One thing I really liked when I was pet sitting was just opening the back door when the dog wanted to potty. Here I have to get dressed if I am not dressed and go downstairs and have a poop bag. It's kind of awful if it's 27 degrees and I am ready for bed or rarely, IN bed.

I still took her on walks, but a walk wasn't a requirement everytime she wanted to pee.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:58 AM

Everything has a cost associated with it. Figure out what's worth the cost to you and then do not second guess your informed decision.

You made an informed decision.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Everything has a cost associated with it. Figure out what's worth the cost to you and then do not second guess your informed decision.

You made an informed decision.
It's my nature to second guess. This thread was helpful. Thanks, all!

Old 02-07-2020, 07:46 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Sorry I would have taken the house. I wish that I had my grandmothers summer cottage in Sweden. When she passed away we had a terminally ill child and just couldn't cope with a project on the other side of the world. She left it to my sister and I. My sister had no interest and we sold it in short order. To this day I kick myself. It was a modest property but I have such fond memories of it. But we were in a very dark part of our lives and I wasn't thinking clearly.

Only time will tell if you have made a mistake. As many have said theres no point dwelling on it.

Old 02-08-2020, 03:22 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,671,627 times
I really thought about keeping my parents’ home, which I loved, as it would have been a place to escape the summer heat. When we were cleaning it out, I enjoyed the open windows and the breezes blowing. Can’t do that in the summer here.

I know it is hard to let go but you made your decision. From what you said about your brother in other posts, it seems he would have gone ballistic if he knew you were in that house when he is unhappy where he is now. Wasn’t one of the “bad”guys (Bob?) a neighbor?

Enjoy your pool with friends and fix up your condo to your taste. Your mom would want you to be happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House