Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 01:11 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Did you explain the split gutter solution to your neighbor. They are going to have to sign on to this as well.

If it were me I would resolve this immediately.
Yes. Our contractor drew up a plan an estimated the cost to both parties. We found pics of the houses originally from the city archive that shows both with separate gutters. Theres no doubt this is the solution that the historical board will approve as it restores the buildings to original elements and appearance. We are willing to pursue this solution at a later date and have let the neighbors know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 01:51 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I know this might not be the sort of situation that comes up every day for the average person but believe me when I say we have zero bandwidth to help with this for several months. My personal opinion of the neighbors is admittedly not high but even if my grandmother lived next door I could not help with this issue at this time.
*IF* your lack of action is causing damage (a big IF), this wouldn't matter at all.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:59 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Quote:
No one has any mold allergies. Not that have been disclosed thus far.

We are in the midst of closing on multiple commercial and residential property projects. We cannot make personal expenditures that might flag any issues with loans. Seriously. We are on spending lockdown. A few thousand on a credit card or an ira withdrawal could raise alarms and create hassles with far reaching consequences beyond my neighbors gutter repair. Likewise we dont have the time to attend permitting meetings at the moment. Just not possible. I know this might not be the sort of situation that comes up every day for the average person but believe me when I say we have zero bandwidth to help with this for several months. My personal opinion of the neighbors is admittedly not high but even if my grandmother lived next door I could not help with this issue at this time.

Multiple seven figure projects, but not a couple thousand to fix the gutter?

I keep thinking first world problems. Or arrogance.

Must be quite challenging not to be an "average person". I guess I will never know such stress.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Multiple seven figure projects, but not a couple thousand to fix the gutter?

I keep thinking first world problems. Or arrogance.

Must be quite challenging not to be an "average person". I guess I will never know such stress.
Theres no reason for an attack. I was only giving background on why we cant spend the money on this.Not possible to "flex the plastic " as anyone who has been under scrutiny for a lender knows that a several thousand dollar uptick in a paid off card raises alarms. Our situation is exponentially more complicated and spending is nil.

This fora asks for details detail details and when they get them theres schaudenfreude, needling, and outrageous accusations. Our financial situation is the result of almost two decades of very hard work and dont think for one minute its possible to shame me about it. Our neighbors are more than capable of paying for a repair that no one would notice and would not involve taking off the entire gutter. They are more than capable of replacing a window that as actually doing more damage to their home than the gutter in question. Instead they want us to help foot this bill. Personally I would never ask for such a thing. I feel its important to take care of ones own property by yourself and not involve strangers. We did not install this gutter. We have no issues with this gutter. We cannot financially participate in this adventure at the moment.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:12 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Theres no reason for an attack. I was only giving background on why we cant spend the money on this.Not possible to "flex the plastic " as anyone who has been under scrutiny for a lender knows that a several thousand dollar uptick in a paid off card raises alarms. Our situation is exponentially more complicated and spending is nil.

This fora asks for details detail details and when they get them theres schaudenfreude, needling, and outrageous accusations. Our financial situation is the result of almost two decades of very hard work and dont think for one minute its possible to shame me about it. Our neighbors are more than capable of paying for a repair that no one would notice and would not involve taking off the entire gutter. They are more than capable of replacing a window that as actually doing more damage to their home than the gutter in question. Instead they want us to help foot this bill. Personally I would never ask for such a thing. I feel its important to take care of ones own property by yourself and not involve strangers. We did not install this gutter. We have no issues with this gutter. We cannot financially participate in this adventure at the moment.
yeah whatever.

If your negligence and dismissive attitude is causing damage to a neighbor's historic property I hope they get relief however they need to pursue it.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:27 AM

I really think the mods should look at a particular poster on this thread. I don't see his messages anymore but I'm really surprised that they dont notice the history. Its clearly a duplicate account....

Back to the topic at hand.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:31 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
How about going through with your neighbor whatever the process is in your area with the historic review board. Let the board make the decision rather than your neighbor. Someone can make a complaint to the board anyway and then you may even get a notice to perform...as well as neighbors. Hopefully you have the sort of review board where you go to them for sound advice on historic homes and they can be helpful and knowledgable.

That said, they can sometimes be a demanding board as well. Sometimes such a board's reasoning is the owner should have known what they were getting into and should have a fund for that.

In one historic district I lived in the historic review board was wonderful and very good about caring owners who strove to improve their district. The board could come up with ideas, a timeline and leniency because of funds as long as the person was working on the issue.

However years could pass and the attitude may change and be more demanding.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 02-22-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 02-22-2020, 08:55 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
You share a gutter. Your neighbor's house is being damaged by the sagging (your description) of the gutter. Fix the gutter.

Were I your neighbor, I'd probably end up paying for the gutter on my own (because of the potential damage) and then I'd sue you. I'd also consider reporting you to the historical society for not maintaining the property to standard. I'd pick whatever avenue I could to force you to the right thing: fix the gutter.

Just so I'm folllowing: their house is being damaged by something you are both responsible for. You won't agree to fix it. You also won't allow them to do a temporary fix. Wow.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:01 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
You share a gutter. Your neighbor's house is being damaged by the sagging (your description) of the gutter. Fix the gutter.

Were I your neighbor, I'd probably end up paying for the gutter on my own (because of the potential damage) and then I'd sue you. I'd also consider reporting you to the historical society for not maintaining the property to standard. I'd pick whatever avenue I could to force you to the right thing: fix the gutter.

Just so I'm folllowing: their house is being damaged by something you are both responsible for. You won't agree to fix it. You also won't allow them to do a temporary fix. Wow.
That's what I got out of this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House