Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 07:51 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Two days ago, a home improvement company called me up asking if I wanted to put a patio in. This morning, I stepped out on my porch to enjoy my forest before I left for work.

I really don't see a point of a patio, prefer to think of the house as this sophisticated habitat that was set down in that foot print and only that foot print to observe and enjoy the forest.

So the questions are, why do people have patios? What's the difference between those and porches? Are patios more of a thing when there is more of a house and less of surrounding botanics?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-05-2020 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 07:56 AM

30,492 posts, read 16,202,768 times
I think it depends on the style of the house.
Porches are sort of old fashioned (and I mean that in a good way). Patios go with newer houses.

Of course there's always exceptions and let's not forget decks.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:08 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Not everyone can live in a forest. Patios with covers provide shelter from the hot sun and rain. It allows you to sit outside and enjoy the back or front yard without being sun burned and being uncomfortable. It's a big country out there with weather conditions varying from location to location. Can you even imagine having a home in the desert SW without shelter from the sun when outdoors? The temp in the shade from a patio cover could be 20 degrees cooler.
Patios and porches basically perform the same function. Newer homes have patios and old homes have porches. Porches were designed with the house and are often part of the house structure. Patios are many times add ons because newer homes are often built without any such shelter.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
I'm in a two story home with the bedrooms upstairs. Where is this deck (I'm assuming you mean deck when you say porch) leading to? A bedroom?

I know some people who built a deck that had stairs leading up to it from their sliding glass doors or french doors, and all it did was put people on a stage for the neighbors to observe. No privacy.

You're assuming everyone has the same set up you have without thinking that homes and neighborhoods are all different.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Most people aren't surrounded by botanics. They have a defined back yard. In order to use the space according to one's lifestyle, a patio could be nice and useful.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:56 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Thumbs up Patio has it's place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm in a two story home with the bedrooms upstairs. Where is this deck (I'm assuming you mean deck when you say porch) leading to? A bedroom?
Those are popular here in Northern New Enland, usually as a second story "3 season porch" attached to the master bedroom. Adds less to property taxes than a fully-conditioned space, and usable anytime outdoor temperatures are above freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I really don't see a point of a patio, prefer to think of the house as this sophisticated habitat that was set down in that foot print and only that foot print to observe and enjoy the forest.

So the questions are, why do people have patios? What's the difference between those and porches? Are patios more of a thing when there is more of a house and less of surrounding botanics?
I own several aces of forest, and my house has a porch (deck) but I put in a paver patio as well, in part to push back the boundary between "curtilage" and "botanics".

For me, the patio is a DMZ between the house and the forest, a clean flat area that I don't need to mow and can easily keep tick-free with minimal maintenance. And unlike the deck, safe to have a big grill/fireplace/firepit out on the stone patio.

Due to fire code here, had to locate the "fixed wood-burning appliance" at least 25 feet away from the wood deck, and install a proper chimney and spark arrestor. The closest tree behind it is 15' away.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 03-05-2020 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Photo is worth 901,000 words

Old 03-05-2020, 09:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
its more usable outdoor space. it shouldnt impact your ability to enjoy your forest.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
.........I know some people who built a deck that had stairs leading up to it from their sliding glass doors or french doors, and all it did was put people on a stage for the neighbors to observe. No privacy.......
That is one of the thing that the forest does.

Back when I was building the house and posting here, someone noted that given the surroundings, I didn't have to worry about people looking in my windows.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:45 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,318,906 times
Quote:
Where is this deck (I'm assuming you mean deck when you say porch)

A deck is not a porch.

Here's a back porch: https://southernhospitalityblog.com/...e-house023.jpg

And you can have both on one house (we do). Same with a patio, which is just a hardscaped ground cover. I've seen homes with all three: a front porch, a back patio and a raised deck.

OP, many suburban and urban homes use a patio instead of a deck out back with the back door at ground level. A sliding door or french door onto a ground level patio is nice for entertaining and being able to safely put fireplaces and grilles on if you have a flat property and flat back yard. A deck is better for uneven property and back yard or if the back door is not at ground level.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Nyv_SHwAGE0/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=pati...5FBBCJ-DEqYpfM

Old 03-05-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Mine is like that.

Someday, I will get a barrel grill, but it is more from the standpoint of having a fall back cooking approach....but that's another project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House