Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 11:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times

Advertisements

Nonesuch, that's interesting. Personally, I wouldn't want a three season porch my guests couldn't use.

cvetters, thanks, but we have porches here, so I know what a porch is. I assumed she meant deck, because she mentioned patio. Porches are generally part of the structure of the home, unlike decks and patios that are usually added later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 11:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That is one of the thing that the forest does.

Back when I was building the house and posting here, someone noted that given the surroundings, I didn't have to worry about people looking in my windows.
You're very lucky to have that behind you! I wish I backed into a forest.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're very lucky to have that behind you! I wish I backed into a forest.

Thank you.

Right now, something of an animal preserve. Deer, buzzards, birds of prey, snakes, field mice, lizards, insects, wild boar, foxes, coyotes too!.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:50 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Quote:
So the questions are, why do people have patios? What's the difference between those and porches? Are patios more of a thing when there is more of a house and less of surrounding botanics?
To me, a porch is covered and on the front of the house. A patio is typically uncovered or has a pergola, is located at the back or side of the house, and is installed on ground level (versus a deck which is raised). It can be connected to the house, an extension to a deck, or it can be an area away from the house.

Both can be enjoyed in the same way or different ways depending on the lifestyle of the user. IMO, patios are used for entertaining more than porches.

Last edited by HokieFan; 03-05-2020 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 12:53 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Because that's where the furniture goes in the area between the house and the pool?

Old 03-05-2020, 01:49 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
So the questions are, why do people have patios? What's the difference between those and porches? Are patios more of a thing when there is more of a house and less of surrounding botanics?
Grilling. Also, cost.

I don't see the point of a patio if I have a porch. But a porch as decsribed in the "wraparound front porch" sense where it's covered, wood, and part of the contstruction/footprint of the house, costs more than a poured outdoor concrete pad where you can grill, walk out of the back of the house without walking in grass/dirt/mud, etc...

Old 03-05-2020, 02:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Some areas, such as Florida, have virtually all houses built on slabs close to the ground level. I'd assume the same goes for the southwest, etc.......

In these cases there is no height for a frame porch in many cases....or for a deck. A patio is really the only choice for something at the same level or lower than the house floor.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:08 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,556,032 times
We had a deck in back and replaced it with a paver patio. It’s basically an outdoor family “room.” We cook and eat out there, relax, read, watch the kids play in the yard, enjoy nature, etc. It’s especially nice to have friends and family over for entertaining at sunset. It’s fun to add furniture and plants, etc., though costly. We love it.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:12 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not everyone can live in a forest. Patios with covers provide shelter from the hot sun and rain.
Patios are uncovered, by definition.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:21 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
I guess I always s thought of a porch as a covered entrance, a patio as some kind of “improved” backyard space.

A good, natural backyard is fairly rare. If you have one, great!

Having a patio connotes “the good life”, putting human stuff over your more natural backyard. That can be really nice, but never be convinced that it’s necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House