Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 02:27 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Which requires a very complex evaluation sequence:
  1. Turn on a burner knob.
  2. If you hear and smell nothing, the unit has some complex electrical safety interlock. Game over.
  3. If you hear a faint hiss and smell gas odorant, turn the knob off and follow the safe-lighting instructions above.

I suppose an adult in this day and age could have never encountered a non-automatic gas appliance or tool, and thus have no notion how to light one.

And most ranges with gas cooktops have a gas oven (which would be almost impossible to use safely without automatic light/relight). Units that have a gas cooktop and an electric oven are another class, called "dual fuel." (Gas cooktop and a good electric convection oven is perfection, IMVHO.)
Which isn't exactly something you want to learn after a hurricane when the lights are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 02:58 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,201,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Which isn't exactly something you want to learn after a hurricane when the lights are out.
It's down the road towards starving to death because you can't call for take-out. :P

Old 04-06-2020, 03:43 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Who would have guessed such a simple question would be deemed controversial? Methinks some people are suffering from cabin fever...

My landlord replaced my ancient gas range which had pilot lights and finally died after many years of faithful service, with this modern one that click-click-clicks before it turns on. I assumed it was hooked up to electricity to create sparks to light the gas. Not an unreasonable assumption, no?

Go outside for a walk in the sunshine, people!

Old 04-06-2020, 04:03 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,201,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
My landlord replaced my ancient gas range which had pilot lights and finally died after many years of faithful service, with this modern one that click-click-clicks before it turns on. I assumed it was hooked up to electricity to create sparks to light the gas. Not an unreasonable assumption, no?
Not at all.

Assuming there was no other way to ignite the gas, when you sound as if you are used to a funky/failing one that probably needed a match relight from time to time... well, it just didn't seem all that complex and mysterious to me.

I don't think I've ever seen a gas cooktop where electricity/electric control had anything to do with the gas flow or settings. Spark igniters, sure. Weird features, sure. Simple function of the gas... no.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:49 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Exactly correct and having a gas stove and water heater (not a tankless) is a huge advantage for power outages. We’ve had plenty when back in the NE and we did have gas so we only needed a small generator to run the hot water heat, lights and WiFi so having natural gas was great.
I had a battery ignition water heater that worked great without electricity. Sadly, the water pump did not.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
Rather than a match, it's safer to use a long lighter. Hold it next to the burner, light it, then turn on the gas. Turn off the gas when you'redone cooking. Repeat as necessary.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:55 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
I wonder what the manual says.

Well, I just found out. I wasn't sure if this is something the manufacturer wouldn't promote for liability reasons but it is right there in the basic instructions of a random GE range manual.

Quote:
"In case of a power failure, you can light the surface burners on your range with a match. Hold a lighted match to the burner, then turn the knob to the LITE position. Use extreme caution when lighting burners this way."

Last edited by kokonutty; 04-07-2020 at 04:08 AM..

Old 04-07-2020, 06:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I read that a gas oven won't work in a power outage but the burners will so you can still cook. You just have to light them with a match. Have you had firsthand experience with this being true?

I was thinking of buying a small camp stove in case of emergency, but I won't need one if the above is true.
Yes, I’ve done this. One thing. Either use long matches for safety, or hold the match with a pair of tongs, or light a piece of spaghetti to hold to the burner cap to light.

With the electronic ignition not working, you turn the burner onto temp, not light, hold the lit match to the burner cap to light.

Don’t let it run for a couple of seconds before lighting, or it will whoosh up.

And you can actually practice this before it happens.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:07 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Mine always worked in an outage, no match needed.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:31 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Older stoves and water heaters had a gas pilot light so you don’t need to light it in order for the device to work in the absence of electricity. It’s really a simple concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House