Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 AM

7,892 posts, read 11,424,288 times

Advertisements

I have two 14 years old hot water heaters that are needing replacement as they are corroded and but were working fine until a couple of days ago. I was taking my daily shower and had to turn the handle to a hotter setting to get even warm water. is this normal when a hot water heater is going out? Ive never had anything like this before. Thanks in advance for your guidance as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 07:19 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,202,145 times
Thus just happened to us, with 3 days we no longer had luke warm water. Just cold! We had to replace it yesterday. It was one of the few things that wasnt replaced when our house was rebuilt after fire.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:57 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I have two 14 years old hot water heaters ...they are corroded
Regardless of whatever the specific internal problem is ...
14years with poor water conditions is a pretty good run
(with good water they'll often last 30yrs or more)

Are you able to do the work yourself or do you already know a reliable plumber?

Old 04-04-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Regardless of whatever the specific internal problem is ...
14years with poor water conditions is a pretty good run
(with good water they'll often last 30yrs or more)

Are you able to do the work yourself or do you already know a reliable plumber?
I have a very good professional plumber to use. I am 72 and its in attic space so going to get someone to do it. Its two 50 gallon units in parallel and right next to each other in attic space above my first floor MBR.

I was hoping to make it limp along until the risk of CV is lower as my wife is very high risk. I did adjust the temperature seeing on both untis from mid range to very high temp setting. Will see if that works or not to help me limp along.

I understand it is a one day job for a crew of two so exposure to someone in my house is the only thing I am hoping to do to delay it until the CV is better understood or meds can address it for my wife's risk sake.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:39 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
I had this happen a while back on an electric one. There was an anode rod that needed to be replaced. Diagnosis and replacement took about half an hour. Hope you are so lucky.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:16 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I had this happen a while back on an electric one. There was an anode rod that needed to be replaced. Diagnosis and replacement took about half an hour. Hope you are so lucky.

An anode rod was the reason your w/h stopped working? That was from a licensed plumber?
A little humor in these trying times is good!

Old 04-04-2020, 04:03 PM

Mine is a natural gas fired 50 Gallon w/h. It is located in the attic space above MBR. I got a ball park estimate today from Lowe's. The two units installed will run about $2000 plus $200 or $2200 because it is in an attic. That assumes my attic opening is wide enough for a standard unit, a narrower unit if needed adds a little more cost.

I plan to use my Plumber but have an feel for an alternative if he is much higher. I like him and he has done great work for me a few years now. Lowe's indicated we have to pull a permit for this work in my town.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:48 PM

44,645 posts, read 61,677,004 times
Quote:
Mine is a natural gas fired 50 Gallon w/h. It is located in the attic space above MBR. I got a ball park estimate today from Lowe's. The two units installed will run about $2000 plus $200 or $2200 because it is in an attic. That assumes my attic opening is wide enough for a standard unit, a narrower unit if needed adds a little more cost.

I plan to use my Plumber but have an feel for an alternative if he is much higher. I like him and he has done great work for me a few years now. Lowe's indicated we have to pull a permit for this work in my town.
Why take chances with a new plumber that might not be as great as your current one. At least you'll know you'll be satisfied with the current one.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:58 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,069,908 times
Quote:
until the CV is better understood or meds can address it for my wife's risk sake.
I wouldn't risk it just for the sake of hot water.
I'm in the high risk groups too.
this crap is like the angel of death from the bible.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:48 AM

To clarify, I am definitely replacing my h/w heater the only question is when. I want to delay because of wife's risk factors and the belief that CV19 is infecting many who are not showing symptoms but could pass it to my wife. I plan to wait a while until we either know more about how CV19 is and is not passed to another person. I am convinced the sudden reduction in how hot my water is justifies is telling me to do it now but with a higher setting the water is warm enough we can wait a few months, hopefully without it springing a leak

THanks for everyone's help. Additionally I know the replacement project will cost north of $2k but south of $2.5k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House