Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 06:59 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

I would like to know, what home improvements are you or your family making during this pandemic while you stay at home?

Here is what we did
  • Replaced a failed sprinkler controller.
  • Replacing the water in our swimming pool.
  • Replacing the shower curtain liner and hooks in my bathroom (the new hooks are brushed nickel to match my showerhead, valve trim, and spout).
  • Bought a new air purifier for my bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
*Right now, I'm in the process of recaulking my bathtub/tile surround and will finish the job tomorrow after the prepared areas have fully dried.

*I restarted my-six-years-in-the-making kitchen makeover a few weeks ago. The ceiling, walls, and trim have been repaired, sanded, and painted and the lighting fixtures and cover plates reinstalled. I had to do things a bit out of order to get the flooring that I wanted (the pattern was being discontinued), so instead of doing it last, it was done first.

Lighting was replaced early on because I found period appropriate fixtures and wanted to get them in place to enjoy sooner rather than later.

The faucet was replaced two years ago because my plumber was already here to service my boiler. Would have done it myself, but it was easier to have him do it while he was here.

All that's left to do are the cabinets and two doors, which are going to be a job and half. (The exterior door needs to be repaired; both doors are getting new hardware to match that in the rest of the kitchen. Trying to get his project done before I return to the workaday world. Oh--I also need to sew some valances for the kitchen and install cafe rods to hold them.

*I replaced several of the ceramic light fixtures in my basement. Still need to do the same with those that are in the garage.

*Yard work has commenced in earnest, but I'm nowhere close to being where I should be by now.

*I have several sets of drapes and sheers that need to be washed and hemmed. The hems were pinned years ago so I could hang them up, but life intervened before I could get the job properly done. The first set of drapes I was able to wash and line dry yesterday when it was nice outside, so I should be able to iron, hem, and hang them back up tomorrow.

Fortunately, the vast majority of things that I need to get my home projects done I already have in the house. The local hardware store does curbside pickup, so that also helps everyone involved to maintain proper social distance whenever I do need something that I don't already have in my basement workshop.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 04-23-2020 at 08:41 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 08:38 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
Took apart the manmade marble shower in the master bath and found shoddy workmanship was the reason black mold is under the pan in the floor. I put in more thinset mortar in the cracks, sealed with Redgard and replaced the same panels--and it's not leaking any longer.

Watched a crane lift a fiberglass pool into my yard last week and they dug the hole and installed it in 2 days. Waiting on the electrician Monday and the concrete guys will perform their magic after that. Also concreting a huge deck behind the screen porch.

Then it's landscape time--sod and planting 20 arborvitae's for privacy.

Even if we weren't quarantining ourselves, we wouldn't have time to go anywhere.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:40 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
We have a bathroom project that requires a contractor as we want to add a shower and replace the other fixtures, in addition to a lot of tile. We were getting ready to take bids when the pandemic then started. Now we will wait. Been on Houzz too often.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Maintenance. Painted trim around front door.

Had our tankless water heater inspected and serviced.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:21 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Eventually I would like to buy a U by Moen smart faucet and move the existing Delta pull-down faucet to the laundry sink, although I am not really in any hurry to do so and my father would have the final say.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:04 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i put wheels on the refrigerator so i can wheel it from the bedroom to the couch

Old 04-24-2020, 04:38 AM

913 posts, read 886,119 times
This whole thing hit during a complete gut renovation of the home I grew up in, fun times!! Contractor is also a friend, so we have been doing what we can at a slow pace with minimal people.

Happy to say I have a kitchen now to cook in, no countertops yet though. Not complaining because at least I don't have to go in the patio in the back yard to get to my refrigerator anymore.

So it's been tough, but it is exceeding my expectations. This will most likely be the home we grow old in, so all the stress will be worth it!

Old 04-24-2020, 05:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Finishing the painting of white trim upstairs. I basically painted the whole house between Sept-Dec last year (kitchen, great room, hallways, upstairs, etc. Goes with the redone wine bar and dining room. These are things that have been hanging around for a few years that we just never got the time or motivation to do with life going on. It's amazing what a difference all these small things added up are doing for our homestead though. We have been here for almost 7 years and it feels good to get these things done. Also;

-Repainted all interior doors and closet doors
-Changing all interior/exterior door hardware to matte black
-Painting front/side exterior doors
-Wood blinds in great room
-Finishing my 1960's Snap-On box refurb
-Organizing basement workbench area
-Painting shed
-Adding trim to shed
-Painting shutters
-Painting small bits of exterior wood trim around doors

Old 04-24-2020, 05:29 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
My job keeps me pretty busy most of the day working at home, doing 3-4 Webinars and training and cleaning up of data bases, etc. So my projects have been minimal. Mostly cleaning and organizing one room at a time.
I would like to remove old grout in master shower and redo. Wife would like to paint all bookshelves in our family room which will require a lot of moving of stuff.
We did put together a huge enclosed shoe rack and and would like to get my driveway repaved when this is all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House