Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 08:09 AM

132 posts, read 76,055 times

Advertisements

At least I think that’s what they are. I’ve found 4 of them in the last 2 weeks. A couple crawling up a power cord near the window (not at the same time). A few dead or had dead ones near the door that the dogs got. I thought they came in when I had the windows opened (with screen closed). But today the dog was trying to eat one. I haven’t opened the windows in a few days since it’s been colder. I’ve seen a few in the past but not 4 or 5 in the past few weeks. Does someone spray for this or is it somewhat normal? I live in a duplex in a large suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 08:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Why do you care? So there are some harmless bugs around. (Wikipedia says they're harmless to people and pets and only a minor nuisance for trees and fruit.)

Why do you think you should spray dangerous poisons all round every time you see an insect?

Old 05-01-2020, 08:41 AM

132 posts, read 76,055 times
Because I have a phobia and worry about and infestation.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:44 AM

So get over the phobia. Not poisoning the earth is more important than your phobia of insects. If you really can't tolerate living with insects you need to investigate an apartment in an expensive high rise.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:57 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma21 View Post
Because I have a phobia and worry about and infestation.
4 bugs in 2 weeks is hardly an infestation. They are a common, harmless, native bug. Their numbers vary by the year. In the fall, they seek out warm places to spend the winter which is why they show up in and around houses. Seal up cracks and crevices, caulk windows/doors, repair torn screens, cover vent openings with fine wire mesh, fasten down loose siding, remove detritus, leaves and woody debris from around the base of the house so it attracts fewer of them. Sprinkling borax or diatomaceous earth around doorjams and underneath windows will also discourage them.

Get some counseling for your phobia. It won't prevent the bugs but you won't care about the ones you do see nearly as much. First step in dealing with an irrational fear is education. Here you go:

https://extension.umn.edu/nuisance-i.../boxelder-bugs

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2020 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-01-2020, 08:18 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
We used to call them Church Bugs because our church (100 year old small brick church) would have them show up each spring, stay around a couple weeks and disappear until next year. No one was ever hurt and they didn't seem to do any damage. They were kind of cute.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:21 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
So get over the phobia. Not poisoning the earth is more important than your phobia of insects. If you really can't tolerate living with insects you need to investigate an apartment in an expensive high rise.
Pretty much. Living on a lower level complex or single family type home, you're always going to have bugs, even if you don't see them always. The higher up that you live in a high rise, however, the less chance of you having a bug problem.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:26 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Not poisoning the earth is more important...

A heavy dish soap/water solution (when sprayed on, will kill) is hardly "poisoning the earth"!

Old 05-02-2020, 12:12 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
We used to call them Church Bugs because our church (100 year old small brick church) would have them show up each spring, stay around a couple weeks and disappear until next year. No one was ever hurt and they didn't seem to do any damage. They were kind of cute.
I think they're attractive looking with their red "accents". There are so many other less pleasant insects to worry your head about.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A heavy dish soap/water solution (when sprayed on, will kill) is hardly "poisoning the earth"!
True, 100% true, but the person who's freaking out over half a dozen completely harmless bugs is probably wanting to go straight to Chlordane so they'll never see one of those horrible insects again. I'm guessing that spraying Palmolive at them will not satisfy the "all living things must die" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House