Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 02:29 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times

Advertisements

If you're on a septic system, you might not want a garbage disposal, and just throw the waste in the trash instead of eventually having it pumped out of the tank.

If you do have one, keep a drain strainer on it to keep out things you don't want ground up, like silverware and wedding rings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 08:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Pantries are cheaper and generally more functional than cabinets, if you have the room of course, i.e. an actual small room is great but even a 12” deep floor-to-ceiling pantry can hold a lot.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
We moved last October, and this new to us house had all Kitchenaid appliances--the designer models. I cannot tell you how many repair calls have been made already.

The double convection ovens in the wall cost about $3250, and the fans didn't work. The refrigerator was quite expensive, and it had to be worked on as the ice maker was leaking water. The dishwasher door sounded like a dinosaur when it was opened.

If I was going with a new kitchen, I'd be going GE Profile double ovens under a glass top cook service. Loved it. And we'd be going with double door refrigerator on top, fridge door in the middle and a large freezer slideout in the bottom.

Our kitchen had a sit behind huge island with raised panel doors on all side, and it wasn't open. I replaced cabinet doors on one side, and built shelves inside to make the island functional storage. We really miss having all that extra space for our kitchen tools, cookie sheets, and other "stuff."

Old 05-14-2020, 08:01 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
If you keep the same basic footprint and don't move water lines and electrical around, it will save some money.
Before I remodeled, My kitchen had an island with an overhang for seating that I never used as I already had a large breakfast nook and a dining room - didn't need a third eating space. So, the remodeled kitchen still has an island, but no overhang.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:34 AM

743 posts, read 877,102 times
I have recently remodeled my kitchen in the older home we just purchased. I am a professional Chef, so I know what I want and need in a kitchen.
I removed the island which was too wide and not long enough. It had the overhang for seating which I disliked. I put in a longer island and narrower to maximize the space. I removed the cook-top that was dated and in the island which I also dislike. I installed a butcher block island counter-top which is perfect for rolling out dough, making bread etc. My island is L-shaped for maximum space. The short side is across from my stove. I can prep and turn around and cook.
I do not like a full sink in the island. It cuts into your workspace. Then you'd have to have your dishwasher next to it. Another cut into your tool area. Maybe a prep sink at one end would be great, but a sink in the middle would not work for me. Besides, my sink has a huge window overlooking my backyard. I love that.

I am on a septic and I don't put anything down my sink, however I installed a new sink and new disposal. It's there if I need it. I've never not had one, didn't really think about eliminating it honestly. I could've done without one.

At the end of my island below is a shelf for my tiny Chef Mike. (microwave). It's out of the way. I think the microwave over the cook-top is useless. There's no exhaust system for them, just a vent that does nothing. My current oven has an actual vent hood. It's by Vent-a-hood and it's fantastic. I highly recommend the investment.

I would never have a glass cook-top again. My other house had one and it was crap. Hard to clean, scratched, poor heating, etc. Go with gas if you can.

I also have a GE Cafe double oven. I looked at them all. Blue Star, Viking, Wolf...and I am very happy with my Cafe. Now this one is electric. I wanted an electric double in addition to my gas range/oven (I went with the workhorse Wolf). The GE Cafe is amazing. The air fry setting is awesome! This oven has everything plus it is WiFi capable. I love it, and highly recommend it and the Cafe series.

Another poster commented on Kitchenaid. Yep, it's crap and I wouldn't buy it either. That is what my other house had.

On one side of my built in refrigerator I have 2 pullout spice racks by Rev-a-Shelf. I highly recommend them. They are stacked and pull out as one. On the other side I have a door that opens and I store my box of parchment paper and extra sheet pans, or I can put my oven racks in there if I need space in my oven. This space on either side is 84" tall.

I also have a corner cabinet that was just a deep hole. I installed a Rev-a-Shelf "D" shaped lazy susan. It has all my specialty sauces, vinegars, oils etc. It is one of my favorite upgrades. Below that shelf under the counter is a corner lazy susan. That was original to the house and after a couple of repairs, it's good as new. Great use of corner space.

Another drawer has a Rev-a-Shelf pull out that I use for extra 1/2 sheet pans (cookie sheets). I personally purchased the Rev-a-Shelves at Home Depot. Much cheaper than my contractor quoted.

Another tip would be using command hooks. I use them, the small ones, inside my lower cabinet on the door for measuring spoons, whisks, and spatulas. I also have them on the side of my wall oven to hang my aprons, pizza peel, metal colanders, and my metal yardstick.

A good designer should be able to maximize your space with what you want and need. My designer took my ideas and added his own and now I have my ultimate kitchen. Well worth the price.

I love to cook and cook every day so my kitchen is fully functional for that purpose. If you don't like to cook, at least get quality appliances. Spend a little more for them.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
If you're on a septic system, you might not want a garbage disposal, and just throw the waste in the trash instead of eventually having it pumped out of the tank.

If you do have one, keep a drain strainer on it to keep out things you don't want ground up, like silverware and wedding rings.
I lived for over twenty years with both septic and garbage disposal. It depends. Our septic system dated from 1979. I suppose if your system dates from 1955, yeah maybe you would have problems.

But OP has said nothing about having a septic system.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:46 PM

913 posts, read 886,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
I have recently remodeled my kitchen in the older home we just purchased. I am a professional Chef, so I know what I want and need in a kitchen.
I removed the island which was too wide and not long enough. It had the overhang for seating which I disliked. I put in a longer island and narrower to maximize the space. I removed the cook-top that was dated and in the island which I also dislike. I installed a butcher block island counter-top which is perfect for rolling out dough, making bread etc. My island is L-shaped for maximum space. The short side is across from my stove. I can prep and turn around and cook.
I do not like a full sink in the island. It cuts into your workspace. Then you'd have to have your dishwasher next to it. Another cut into your tool area. Maybe a prep sink at one end would be great, but a sink in the middle would not work for me. Besides, my sink has a huge window overlooking my backyard. I love that.

I am on a septic and I don't put anything down my sink, however I installed a new sink and new disposal. It's there if I need it. I've never not had one, didn't really think about eliminating it honestly. I could've done without one.

At the end of my island below is a shelf for my tiny Chef Mike. (microwave). It's out of the way. I think the microwave over the cook-top is useless. There's no exhaust system for them, just a vent that does nothing. My current oven has an actual vent hood. It's by Vent-a-hood and it's fantastic. I highly recommend the investment.

I would never have a glass cook-top again. My other house had one and it was crap. Hard to clean, scratched, poor heating, etc. Go with gas if you can.

I also have a GE Cafe double oven. I looked at them all. Blue Star, Viking, Wolf...and I am very happy with my Cafe. Now this one is electric. I wanted an electric double in addition to my gas range/oven (I went with the workhorse Wolf). The GE Cafe is amazing. The air fry setting is awesome! This oven has everything plus it is WiFi capable. I love it, and highly recommend it and the Cafe series.

Another poster commented on Kitchenaid. Yep, it's crap and I wouldn't buy it either. That is what my other house had.

On one side of my built in refrigerator I have 2 pullout spice racks by Rev-a-Shelf. I highly recommend them. They are stacked and pull out as one. On the other side I have a door that opens and I store my box of parchment paper and extra sheet pans, or I can put my oven racks in there if I need space in my oven. This space on either side is 84" tall.

I also have a corner cabinet that was just a deep hole. I installed a Rev-a-Shelf "D" shaped lazy susan. It has all my specialty sauces, vinegars, oils etc. It is one of my favorite upgrades. Below that shelf under the counter is a corner lazy susan. That was original to the house and after a couple of repairs, it's good as new. Great use of corner space.

Another drawer has a Rev-a-Shelf pull out that I use for extra 1/2 sheet pans (cookie sheets). I personally purchased the Rev-a-Shelves at Home Depot. Much cheaper than my contractor quoted.

Another tip would be using command hooks. I use them, the small ones, inside my lower cabinet on the door for measuring spoons, whisks, and spatulas. I also have them on the side of my wall oven to hang my aprons, pizza peel, metal colanders, and my metal yardstick.

A good designer should be able to maximize your space with what you want and need. My designer took my ideas and added his own and now I have my ultimate kitchen. Well worth the price.

I love to cook and cook every day so my kitchen is fully functional for that purpose. If you don't like to cook, at least get quality appliances. Spend a little more for them.
Just a small correction, not all over the range microwaves recirculate air. Some, like mine offer a regular exhaust system. Mine directly vents to the outside and was a must for searing steak in my cast iron. I also love that it's low profile, I hate that big bulky unit over the range.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:21 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
At the end of my island below is a shelf for my tiny Chef Mike. (microwave). It's out of the way. I think the microwave over the cook-top is useless.
I agree! I hate having the microwave at that level. I am short, and taking a hot bowl of something out of the microwave at that level is asking for trouble. I wish I had relocated mine when I remodeled, to someplace just below counter height. Oh well, next house.....

Old 05-15-2020, 03:07 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
An OTR microwave/vent hood does neither microwaving nor venting well. Go with a plain vent hood and a stand alone microwave. It's cheaper and better to use separate appliances, especially when one breaks.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:20 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
An OTR microwave/vent hood does neither microwaving nor venting well. Go with a plain vent hood and a stand alone microwave. It's cheaper and better to use separate appliances, especially when one breaks.
I'm not personally a fan of OTR microwaves, but certainly as a microwave, a counter version does not do anything better or different.

Venting may or may not be a different story, that depends on the specifics of the appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House