Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,373 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to add to my existing 10x10 raised deck. I'm looking at a 17' x 10' addition OR a 17' x '12' addition - both with 16 stairs coming down to the lower level.

I will be using pressure-treated wood for this and get it installed by a professional. I know the cost varies by location etc - can someone please post the latest costs for such projects that they might have done just so that I can have some ballpark figures ?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 04:37 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I'm looking to add to my existing 10x10 raised deck... and get it installed by a professional.
In most instances that means there will be permits and inspections (right?)
These will be based on the approved design/material submissions made to the County.
Do you have a professional contractor (licenses, insurance, bonding, etc) in mind yet?

Quote:
I know the cost varies by location etc
There are about ten different etc's to account for. You can visit Lowes with a notebook and pen
to thumbnail the materials cost. If you do that well ...then multiply that materials total by FOUR
and you'll have a rough idea that's good enough to decide if you're ready to call the pro.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:29 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Alpharetta?

According to Remodeling Magazine's "Cost vs Value" annual report, 2020 in Atlanta works out to:

A 16X20 wood deck averages about $14k
A 16X20 deck with composite decking is about $20k

Anything over 9' will usually get an extra $500, stairs are usually priced per/step plus extra for landing/switchback. Hand/guard rail is typical baluster (included in that initial price); anything else will be based on a running foot/price.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:57 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,571,878 times
I just built a fairly simple ground level 240 sf deck. Material cost was just under $2000. An elevated deck would be significantly more due to footings, posts, stairs, railings, etc.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:26 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In most instances that means there will be permits and inspections (right?)
These will be based on the approved design/material submissions made to the County.
Do you have a professional contractor (licenses, insurance, bonding, etc) in mind yet?

There are about ten different etc's to account for. You can visit Lowes with a notebook and pen
to thumbnail the materials cost. If you do that well ...then multiply that materials total by FOUR
and you'll have a rough idea that's good enough to decide if you're ready to call the pro.
Yes, getting it done all legit by a professional as its a raised deck - I do not want to risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Alpharetta?

According to Remodeling Magazine's "Cost vs Value" annual report, 2020 in Atlanta works out to:

A 16X20 wood deck averages about $14k
A 16X20 deck with composite decking is about $20k

Anything over 9' will usually get an extra $500, stairs are usually priced per/step plus extra for landing/switchback. Hand/guard rail is typical baluster (included in that initial price); anything else will be based on a running foot/price.
Suwanee. It will be a wood pressure treated deck. Nothing fancy. Thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I just built a fairly simple ground level 240 sf deck. Material cost was just under $2000. An elevated deck would be significantly more due to footings, posts, stairs, railings, etc.
Yeah, the cost its going to be higher than a ground level deck. I probably will not be shopping for materials etc.
I do not have the time and the skill needed for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House