Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 10:05 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Yeah, New York is an absolute no way for me too.
I am FROM NY and most of the country is "an absolute no way for" me.

It's the PROPERTY that's of value - NOT THE HOUSE. It's a tear down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL, people its 2600 sq ft in NEW YORK CITY. It's a total to the studs rehab, but having that much space in the city does cost that much. Many of New Yorkers, if they own, live in co-ops or condos (that cost a lot too) unless they purchased when RE was really really cheap (i.e. family home passed down), so a home - let alone a 2600 sq ft home - does command that much. fresh meadows is also a decent neighborhood too, so expect to pay even more.
THIS POSTER GETS IT. I live in Ohio now. A house like this is worth the property, and convenience.

For some people, proximity to Ocean beaches and Manhattan trump everything else.

For others, living in the woods by a lake or a stream are their dream.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:20 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
THIS POSTER GETS IT. I live in Ohio now. A house like this is worth the property, and convenience.

For some people, proximity to Ocean beaches and Manhattan trump everything else.

LOL, yeah, I'm from New York City and live in Texas now. People comparing their homes from other states to New York City is not truly a comparison. Like it or not, NYC real estate will always be in another stratosphere. I know that first hand. I was lucky enough to buy a condo in the boroughs for 85,000 23 years ago. There was a coop I was also considering that was "high" at $119,000 located in the 100s and Riverside (Manhattan!). My condo sold for over triple what I paid seven years later and the Manhattan one? Well just guess. That was during the real estate crash in the 90s...NYC real estate will never be that affordable again.

Meanwhile, in my nice leafy suburb of Austin, I have a half acre lot with a 3700 sq ft house, valued less than the shack that is the subject of this thread. As far as Im concerned, I'm in heaven, but love it or hate it, it is what it is when it comes to NYC real estate. There is a severe shortage of land, unlike Texas, Nevada, or whatever have you state.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:50 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Looks like it was a hoarder house. I've fixed up some houses in my time, but I don't think I could live in a hoarder house. Bad juju.
Looking at property records, it was sold in 2005 to "DGC Realty LLC" and was cited in 2018 for "some sort of business" operating in a residential zone and for having depleted tanks of hydrogen on the premises.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:46 PM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
I almost expected to Mrs. Lippman in that bathtub.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:03 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

The issue is that comparable properties on better lots nearby (that might actually be habitable) are selling for less. It doesn’t take anyone to *get* it because they live in NYC. You just have to look at the comps to see that the lot is an awful shape that makes it less desirable for investment than a more standard shaped lot.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:09 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There is no way it can have two single family homes on that lot as it is a flatiron shaped lot. It might be possible to fit two townhouses, but I think that would be a hard sell with the shape of the lot.
There is plenty of room with minimal side yard requirements. Think outside the box, think of a triangular box!

https://www.homedit.com/houses-built...e-shaped-lots/

Old 07-02-2020, 05:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 766,970 times
The question is, “Would you buy this house?” No. I know a whole lot of people leaving NY (city proper and upstate too). But. Someone will come along and buy that. Crazy.

A property is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. In that case the value is in the land (postage stamp lot that it is).

A friend’s parents passed on leaving her their almost-unlivable, broken-down 1930s bungalow house in a very hot area of Boulder, CO. It was a total scrape off and Boulder has strict footprint requirements for rebuilds. Even so, it sold for 7 figures.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:38 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
"Would you buy this house?"

No, I have no interest in houses built after WWII.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mouf View Post
you know what i can get in texas with that kind of money, smh

ny what would a good version of that house go for?

the bath would be great for a quick low budget horror movie shoot
I'm pretty sure you can get an absolutely gorgeous place in Texas for that kind of money , even in the pricier markets. Close to $1M gets you a gorgeous house in most places in the country. When I traveled to Houston for my job I was amazed by how inexpensive houses were down there.

I can get a mansion right on the lake for that money here and have some left over to furnish it

Totally agree that place would be perfect for a horror movie set. All you need is an evil clown lurking in that bath and voila!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House