Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2020, 07:09 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to pass along a recommendation for a solar powered skylight to anyone considering going with a skylight that opens. I had a skylight with an intermittent leak. To figure out where the leak was, they were going to have to pull the skylight. Since they were older and a bit cloudy, I decided to upgrade to a skylight that can be opened. This would also help keep the room a bit cooler, as it would let out excess heat.

The crew had already installed the new skylights when we realized they had installed the wrong ones. The supplier had sent solar powered ones, instead of the manually operated version. I didn’t even know there was such a thing, but we are really happy with them. They include a rain sensor that will automatically close them if it starts raining. We just had a light rain, and the feature worked well. Because it was an error with the supplier, the contractor was able to work out a price compromise that everyone could live with. However, if I had it to do over, I would opt to go with the more expensive solar version anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 12:36 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,236,413 times
We had an old 8'x8; skylight that was not properly installed in our sunroom/home office, it caused major leakage...especially with the flat room design. We had the whole roof exposed to find the joists spacing was too much which caused the skylight to slowly sink. We had everything properly repaired and replaced the large skylight with 2 Velux manually venting skylights.

I regretted not going for the solar powered skylights after realizing there was a 30% tax credit for green home improvements, which includes the cost of installation. The higher priced solar powered operators would have been negated with the tax credit. I don't mind opening and closing them, but the auto-rain sensing skylights would have been nice.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:49 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
They are very pricey, though...
https://whyskylights.com/choosing-sk...-air-skylights

I had a tubular skylight. It was installed on a vaulted ceiling. No leaks, but even tinted it was producing a lot of heat. During hot Texas summers the heat beaming from that skylight into the room was 130+F.
The room was nicely lighted but always very hot. I had finally insulated it and closed it from inside, and it will be removed next time I get my roof replaced (which happens frequently due to hail damages).

Old 08-11-2020, 01:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Seems like skylights would be inherently solar-powered; they give light when the sun's up, they don't when it isn't.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:41 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I regretted not going for the solar powered skylights after realizing there was a 30% tax credit for green home improvements, which includes the cost of installation. The higher priced solar powered operators would have been negated with the tax credit. I don't mind opening and closing them, but the auto-rain sensing skylights would have been nice.
According to the form at the Velux site, the Federal rebates are 26% for 2020 and 22% for 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They are very pricey, though....
Yes, they are pricey and before I had mine installed, I would have been hard to convince to spend the extra. However, after having them installed (and with the Federal tax credit), I would not hesitate to do it again.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:56 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,236,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
According to the form at the Velux site, the Federal rebates are 26% for 2020 and 22% for 2021.

Yes, they are pricey and before I had mine installed, I would have been hard to convince to spend the extra. However, after having them installed (and with the Federal tax credit), I would not hesitate to do it again.
Ah yes, I'm still living in 2015. That's when I had my skylights and 4.8kW solar array installed...right before the 30% and our local NEM 1.0 offerings expired. I'm not sure what the going price on a solar powered skylight is now, but I know the price of solar arrays have dropped at least 20%. Their efficiency gains about 8% every year based on improvements in design so the older models keep dropping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House