Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 11:26 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,060,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett040 View Post
As stated in the post, it's only about one square foot. And most of it is already broken up from being ran over. It's really more of a question of weather I should pour new concrete over it or mix it together. You did well at missing the point and turning it into an opportunity to show your character. Way to go, warrior.
You may not have liked the advice, but it was accurate advice. Even though the size is small, done incorrectly a repair will break down quickly.

Reusing the aggregate will not make the repair any stronger unless the aggregate is correctly sized and mixed in proper proportions. Merely pouring concrete on top of the existing rubble, as you seem to be implying, is not going to work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 12:12 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,341,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett040 View Post
As stated in the post, it's only about one square foot. And most of it is already broken up from being ran over. It's really more of a question of weather I should pour new concrete over it or mix it together. You did well at missing the point and turning it into an opportunity to show your character. Way to go, warrior.
So sorry for introducing reality into the discussion.

Go ahead with no knowledge of concrete work or desire to learn from those who have it. Enjoy your repair project.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:37 PM

75 posts, read 47,586 times
I am much more frugal than you and totally burned out from house and yard repairs/situations. If I thought vehicles would continue to run over the corner after the fix, I would use the pieces creatively, as you have them now, like make a mosaic out of them. Paint the pieces, level the spot off with rich dirt and let something grow in between the pieces that will only get smashed but bounce back, like flowery ground cover....

Old 10-23-2020, 02:07 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,206,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaHale View Post
I am much more frugal than you and totally burned out from house and yard repairs/situations. If I thought vehicles would continue to run over the corner after the fix, I would use the pieces creatively, as you have them now, like make a mosaic out of them. Paint the pieces, level the spot off with rich dirt and let something grow in between the pieces that will only get smashed but bounce back, like flowery ground cover....
Well, depending on your level of frugalness and level of Visual Acceptance, a repair at all may not be necessary!

Old 10-23-2020, 06:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,852,215 times
Rent a concrete saw make a cut across the entire width of the driveway just above where the piece broke off. Then dig that strip out, deepen it, put a base in which can include some of the broken concrete and fill the strip with a few courses of pavers or cobble stones set in mortar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House