Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 09:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
..........Those aren't the kind of appliances we're talking about. The topic is a gas vs. electric stove/range, which drifted into discussions about gas vs. electric for the water heater, dryer, central heat source. I've never seen a gas-fired microwave ....

Nor did I say it was a gas fired microwave....in fact, I do believe I stressed quite the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 09:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,503,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I cannot tell the difference at all between something cooked on gas or electric, and I do not have any gas to my home nor any condo I ever lived in for the last 30 years, so I use electric.

Growing up, we had a gas but also had two electric stove tops, never knew the difference if something was cooked on one or the other.
Have you ever watch how the Chinese stirfry in a wok ?
They need gas stove so they can control the heat.
Chinese restaurants can turn out their dishes so fast is because they precut the meat and veggies and stirfry in a wok on a burner which can go up to 30,000 BTU,cheap cut of meat can taste great.
It could also burn down the kitchen !

Old 11-01-2020, 09:29 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Nor did I say it was a gas fired microwave....in fact, I do believe I stressed quite the opposite.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:33 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,568,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're not getting heat with a gas-fired furnace, either, because electricity is required to run the fan.

Clicky things?

Some gas-fired ovens have a way to light with a match. I had one, but it was very old - the burners had pilot lights, but the oven did not. Not sure about modern gas ovens.

Those aren't the kind of appliances we're talking about. The topic is a gas vs. electric stove/range, which drifted into discussions about gas vs. electric for the water heater, dryer, central heat source. I've never seen a gas-fired microwave ....
Modern gas ovens can't be lit with a match as they use a glow-bar ignitor instead of a pilot light. (I know this as I've been shopping for a replacement for when my 1958 wall oven eventually dies.) Pilot lights in cooking appliances were phased out several years ago. The eventual replacement cooktop will be an off-grid model that uses battery ignitor or plug-in ignition *and* can also be lit with a match if need be.

Sadly, my gas-fired boiler requires electricity to run the pump, so in the case of a power outage, the only heat that could be generated in my house would be via the fireplace in the living room.

On topic: I can cook a great meal using any cooking medium (including a wood stove if need be), but prefer the control and precision of a gas range. Induction ranges are a close second, but I would be prefer to use gas as I don't like the notion of being unable to cook in the event of an extended power outage. When I'm home cooking on my mom's smooth top electric range, though, I get why she prefers it as it's much easier to keep clean than my ancient gas cooktop.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:28 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,006 times
I prefer gas stove top, electric oven. Gas is lot easier and faster to control.

Rentals always going to go for electric. Lot easier to run electric 220V for electric stove compared to gasline for gas stove. And landlords most likely feel its safer.

Saying that friend and I bought an old rural place to live out rest of our lives so we have a support system. Neither of us had kids. Both old houses have electric stoves and electric water heaters (grrr). She likes electric. I like gas. I could put in a bulk propane tank or just run line from small tank setting outdoors. Probably wont bother. Just make do with the electric stove already in place. Electric works, just not as convenient. But suppose can heat up two burners, one high and one low and move the pot or pan whan I need to reduce temp, then turn off the high heat burner. Its how they used to do it on wood range, you just moved pot to hotter or cooler area on stovetop since obviously you werent going to quickly change size of fire.

We havent gotten moved cause both of us are high risk for covid. And that is very frustrating. Hoping place doesnt get vandalized before we get moved.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:32 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
I hate electric. When it gets cold I would rather use my wood burning stove to cook on and heat the house at the same time but the rest of everything in the house is gas. Love it.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:34 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Millions of people across all parts of the country have both gas and electric service, it's not that special.
How many have a generator backup built into their system. We do.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:37 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Modern gas ovens can't be lit with a match as they use a glow-bar ignitor instead of a pilot light. (I know this as I've been shopping for a replacement for when my 1958 wall oven eventually dies.) Pilot lights in cooking appliances were phased out several years ago. The eventual replacement cooktop will be an off-grid model that uses battery ignitor or plug-in ignition *and* can also be lit with a match if need be.

Sadly, my gas-fired boiler requires electricity to run the pump, so in the case of a power outage, the only heat that could be generated in my house would be via the fireplace in the living room.

On topic: I can cook a great meal using any cooking medium (including a wood stove if need be), but prefer the control and precision of a gas range. Induction ranges are a close second, but I would be prefer to use gas as I don't like the notion of being unable to cook in the event of an extended power outage. When I'm home cooking on my mom's smooth top electric range, though, I get why she prefers it as it's much easier to keep clean than my ancient gas cooktop.

Get a propane camp stove for emergencies. No electronics. And a refillable tank of propane. 20# tank probably easiest to deal with.

I have a gasoline camp stove. Its old and more temperamental to light and takes more time to get to nice all blue flame, than propane. But unleaded gas available darn near anywhere. Very practical if you are camping out back of beyond.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:05 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,884,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Gas can be more difficult to control for low heat situations. Also, newer gas appliances require power to operate, unlike older ones that have a pilot that is continuously burning.
Those stoves use electrically generated sparks to light the gas, in lieu of a pilot light. Not to mention the clock, timer, and electronic temperature control. But you can easily recreate that spark with a basic spark lighter sold in most supermarkets. With the power out and and electrical stove, you're SOL when it comes to cooking.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 11-01-2020 at 12:15 PM..

Old 11-01-2020, 12:11 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,568,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Get a propane camp stove for emergencies. No electronics. And a refillable tank of propane. 20# tank probably easiest to deal with.

I have a gasoline camp stove. Its old and more temperamental to light and takes more time to get to nice all blue flame, than propane. But unleaded gas available darn near anywhere. Very practical if you are camping out back of beyond.
Good ideas both!

Going to be keeping both cooktop and oven for as long as I can. They aren't beautiful, but they definitely get the job done, even though that oven has pretty much one temperature, lol. Not game to run the risk of having to replace the thing if I screw up messing with the thermocoupler. (It's an odd brand--if it was a major brand that had replacement parts that are still somewhat easy to fine, I'd have fixed that issue by now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House