Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 06:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times

Advertisements

OP, I also live in the northeast with an unfinished basement. (I just call it the cellar)

My natural gas furnace is down there along with all the pipes that carry the heated water upstairs through the baseboard heat. Water heater is also down there along with washer and dryer.

Sometimes, I take a book with me and sit and read while I wait for a load to tumble dry. In the winter, I put on a sweater or a sweatshirt but then, I'm inactive. Kids are bouncing around even if they're playing a board game so I'm betting with a sweatshirt and jeans (or sweatpants) they won't be cold. You may not need another source of heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 06:45 AM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
How old are your kids? Any concerns that they might knock over the heaters or put something combustible too close? And yes, it's almost guaranteed that they won't remember to turn off the heaters, so as you said, you'll need a timer, or to remember to go down and do it yourself when they come upstairs.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:13 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
OP, I also live in the northeast with an unfinished basement. (I just call it the cellar)

My natural gas furnace is down there along with all the pipes that carry the heated water upstairs through the baseboard heat. Water heater is also down there along with washer and dryer.

Sometimes, I take a book with me and sit and read while I wait for a load to tumble dry. In the winter, I put on a sweater or a sweatshirt but then, I'm inactive. Kids are bouncing around even if they're playing a board game so I'm betting with a sweatshirt and jeans (or sweatpants) they won't be cold. You may not need another source of heat.
I have the same setup in my house. I also have a heat pump as a source for back-up heat, but I don't use it unless the boiler should go out, as it's just not warm enough for me anymore. My basement stays warm enough in the winter without the HP vents being active just from the boiler running and the occasional heat that comes off the dehumidifier, although that doesn't run much during the winter. In the summer the basement maintains a constant cool temperature as well. It's really a shame that I don't use the so-called "finished" side (drywall with a gas fireplace), but it has all the appeal of a dungeon for me.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:23 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Furnace in the basement? Ductwork for first floor running through the ceiling area of basement?

Have a HVAC contractor tap into the existing ductwork and add a couple of vents- one at each end of the basement. You can open and close manually as needed; or if you’re really want that lazy man option have him install dampers at the two vents. They could be wired to operate with a wall switch (like the lights).
This if possible.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:50 AM

6,364 posts, read 4,193,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This if possible.
In the NE, hot water baseboard is the most prevalent heating system, however the OP has never chimed in or provided that information.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:50 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Our basement wasn't heated growing up, it was cooler than the rest of the house, but the furnace and water heater were both there and I never remember being chilly down there. We spent lots of time down there too.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
How old are your kids? Any concerns that they might knock over the heaters or put something combustible too close? And yes, it's almost guaranteed that they won't remember to turn off the heaters, so as you said, you'll need a timer, or to remember to go down and do it yourself when they come upstairs.
I’ve used oil filled radiators with tip over protection before and they worked well.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:23 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Exclamation My biggest concern would be that they're all made in China, so who knows what that "oil" really is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’ve used oil filled radiators with tip over protection before and they worked well.
All resistive electric heaters are equally efficient. The "oil-filled" ones take a long time to cool off, but this is equally offset by how long they take to heat up in the first place. Plus they sometimes explode.

If it wasn't possibly to just use existing heating ducts then, depending on the age of the kids, I would go with wall-mounted heaters. Keeps them off the floor and avoids most of the fire and tipping risks, and by permanently mounting them near an outlet, avoids the temptation to use extension cords.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:33 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
All resistive electric heaters are equally efficient. The "oil-filled" ones take a long time to cool off, but this is equally offset by how long they take to heat up in the first place. Plus they sometimes explode.

If it wasn't possibly to just use existing heating ducts then, depending on the age of the kids, I would go with wall-mounted heaters. Keeps them off the floor and avoids most of the fire and tipping risks, and by permanently mounting them near an outlet, avoids the temptation to use extension cords.
Interesting paper but I didn’t see a reference to explosion, just fires due to spot weld failure.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:45 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This if possible.
I have two vents in my basement and it works well. I usually only have one open by the laundry/utility sink and close them both in the summer because there is no need for AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House