Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 02:03 PM

52 posts, read 37,185 times

Advertisements

I have retired to northeastern Texas, and finally bought a house. Spent most of adult life in Navy, lived on sailboats mostly. Always wondered what it would be like to have a house on dry land. Now I know.

Bought a 1940’s farmhouse, a bit to fix up, keeps me active.

Now I know why dad always had a “list” taped to refrigerator door every Saturday of things to do around the house. Sisters always were up early and do the easy tasks. Me, I would stay up late on Friday night and be out with friends, or watch late night monster show. This was before cable.

By the time I stumble down and see list, I get the jobs left over, like re shingle the roof, or repave the driveway.

Anyway, now that I own a house, I see where the list comes from. Major items were taken care of when first purchased. Roof is metal, was refastened, 220 made safe, septic repaired.

But the “little stuff’ just doesn’t end. Windows need cleaning every month. Dusting, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning refrigerator etc. Living on Pearson Countess, a 42 ft ketch, didn’t need this amount of care. Maybe I am more aware of what needs to be done.

Anyway, make my own list, look at it with my breakfast beer, smile, put it back up. Chill out.

Merry Christmas all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 02:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,968,449 times
When I bought my first house I made a to do list of everything I wanted to do. When I sold the house 23 years later, about half the items on the list were done, half weren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky-yo View Post
I have retired to northeastern Texas, and finally bought a house. Spent most of adult life in Navy, lived on sailboats mostly. Always wondered what it would be like to have a house on dry land. Now I know.

Now I know why dad always had a “list” taped to refrigerator door every Saturday of things to do around the house. Sisters always were up early and do the easy tasks. Me, I would stay up late on Friday night and be out with friends, or watch late night monster show. This was before cable.

By the time I stumble down and see list, I get the jobs left over, like re shingle the roof, or repave the driveway.

Anyway, now that I own a house, I see where the list comes from. Major items were taken care of when first purchased. Roof is metal, was refastened, 220 made safe, septic repaired.

But the “little stuff’ just doesn’t end. Windows need cleaning every month. Dusting, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning refrigerator etc. Living on Pearson Countess, a 42 ft ketch, didn’t need this amount of care. Maybe I am more aware of what needs to be done.

Anyway, make my own list, look at it with my breakfast beer, smile, put it back up. Chill out.

Merry Christmas all.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,227,832 times
I live in an 1886 farmhouse and I love it

Old 12-14-2020, 02:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
The age doesn't matter that much, really. Buy new and you have to do window coverings, landscaping, and decorating. Then you still have to mow, trim, wash windows etc. My house was built in 1979, and in the last year we had to put on the 2nd new roof, and replace all of the windows. Just part of the fun of owning house, made up for by growing equity,and being able to do what you want with it.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:16 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
Quote:

Merry Christmas all.
It sounds like a great retirement. Always having a project going is the idea of fun to DH and me. We both enjoy fixing things and making them pretty. Not everyone enjoys this, but we do. Hubby turned 70 this year, and enclosed a porch into a den, all by himself. We won’t always be able to do as much, but it’s very satisfying when you can.

And remember the old slogan...Beer. It’s not just for breakfast anymore.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:10 AM

30,663 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Lists are good, even if you don't get to everything on time as you still have a running document of things to eventually get to that might otherwise escape you.

When I'm living in Hawaii, I clean my condo windows (I have 12 floor to ceiling windows and am on the 14th floor) maybe three times a year. The accumulated dirt is only noticeably if you really stare at it, and certainly not from down below.

Given that I'm in a condo, my list of things to do is smaller than if I had a standalone house, as many things are taken care of by the association. Still, even in my case, a list does help.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:13 AM

3,381 posts, read 1,979,751 times
Quote:

Merry Christmas all.
Congratulations and thank you for your many years of sacrifice. Enjoy your well deserved breakfast beer. Your post made me smile : )

Old 12-22-2020, 09:56 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Musta been on fresh water, as salt water makes repair/replace, never ending.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:52 AM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
My last two home purchases were new builds as I do not need/want lists of things to do, at least for several years. Central AC did blow out after 11 years so I needed to have that replaced. I do make some changes as I want to, not need to. Changed all door knobs to lever handles. Having Plantation Shutters installed.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:59 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,903,404 times
You don't own a house. A house owns you.

signed----6th time home buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House