Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 05:27 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
...Do to being compliant with the new energy requirements, the effectiveness and longevity of these appliances has definitely suffered in many ways.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...al-dishwashers

https://www.ecowatch.com/energy-effi...2#rebelltitem2
Not sure I’ll buy that argument. The motherboard technology had already been adopted
by then and issues with these seem to be the primary reason new washers invariably fail
after X number of years, with X being quite a bit smaller than it was a few decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 10:28 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I have a GE dishwasher (very similar to the one I had at my last house) and it has worked fine for several years now. The cycle I usually use IS really long -- i.e., it starts off saying 3 hours, 18 minutes, but often that changes as it goes and it finishes in 2+ hours. Since I often start it right after breakfast, it's not a big deal to me as I am off doing other things -- I am not sitting there staring at it waiting for it to finish. (I guess I am wondering why long cycles are that much of a problem? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Man, I can do a kitchen full of dishes in 20 mins! adding: by hand.
I actually went several years with no dishwasher and didn't mind washing dishes/etc. by hand; I have a beautiful view from the kitchen window and found the whole process rather soothing. BUT I discovered after I bought my dishwasher that hand-washing uses a lot more water than my dishwasher does -- my water bill went down 10-20% with the dishwasher. (YMMV, of course, depending on how you do dishes!)

Old 12-14-2020, 03:57 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Not sure I’ll buy that argument. The motherboard technology had already been adopted
by then and issues with these seem to be the primary reason new washers invariably fail
after X number of years, with X being quite a bit smaller than it was a few decades ago.
You don’t have to buy that argument as it was explained to me by an experienced service tech while doing a repair. The energy compliance has added several more stop/start cycles to the appliances and that alone adds more complexity and cycling to the cleaning process. He sees more and more failures and very often with the price of labor and parts, purchasing a new appliance is often the best choice economically.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:36 AM

417 posts, read 455,375 times
The older ones will last the longest. We moved into a house with a Whirlpool or GE builder basic model from about mid 90's. I don't know how much it was used, but the thing worked. It sounded horrible ( SUPER LOUD) but it worked.
When we remodeled the builder basic kitchen, I replaced all appliances.
I made educated decisions, and am very pleased but I have no expectation of them lasting even 10 years.That's the way of the current appliances. Sad reality but I do believe it's reality.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:39 AM

417 posts, read 455,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have a GE dishwasher (very similar to the one I had at my last house) and it has worked fine for several years now. The cycle I usually use IS really long -- i.e., it starts off saying 3 hours, 18 minutes, but often that changes as it goes and it finishes in 2+ hours. Since I often start it right after breakfast, it's not a big deal to me as I am off doing other things -- I am not sitting there staring at it waiting for it to finish. (I guess I am wondering why long cycles are that much of a problem? )

I actually went several years with no dishwasher and didn't mind washing dishes/etc. by hand; I have a beautiful view from the kitchen window and found the whole process rather soothing. BUT I discovered after I bought my dishwasher that hand-washing uses a lot more water than my dishwasher does -- my water bill went down 10-20% with the dishwasher. (YMMV, of course, depending on how you do dishes!)
Meant to add-- to our surprise the water usage did not go down. We had barely been using the airplane sounding but good cleaning old dishwasher.
Also, the new ones do take a longer time but usually accumulate 2 days worth of dishes and then run it after dinner. I typically empty it in the morning.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:43 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
How long can a dishwasher last?
I have been washing dishes for over 60 years but am sure that is nowhere near the upper limit.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:58 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
...such a wide range of opinions and experiences. I'm inclined to continue my efforts to get my machine to work properly, and if I'm not successful, I'll buy a cheapie just to have something working for if/when I sell the house (which I want to do). I can do dishes in 20 minutes and it is not as much of a hassle as the frustration of a 'not working' dishwasher. I'm also not inclined to spend nearly $1000 on a machine that takes well over an hour to do dishes -- I got some thinkin' to do
I bought what I think is a good one on sale for $529. Normally over $700. Two actually. A GE and a Whirlpool. The former has steam and a 'sani' cycle and dual wash zones. (oh my!)

The Whirlpool has a 3rd rack and.........is a Whirlpool.

Both are stainless steel tubs.

My old one is plastic, so that doesn't seem to..? The SS deals better with drying w/o heated dry, but I got heated dry...........lol dishwasher shopping is the hardest thing I may have ever done in my life and I am still not done.

All the technology that goes into trying to wash lacking water and dry lacking heat.

The GE has a disposal? I don't think I need that, but the amazing array of features for $520 is what caught my eye. Only in the ugly pocket handle model. If I tried to get the one with the towel bar, it was regular price. They were moving the ugly ones.

I have two purchased on backorder from Black Friday month. I have to cancel one or both before they actually try to bring it to me.

If I start this all over again, I might go with a BOSCHE even if that means a low end of theirs.

Best buy appliance people have a joke. They are trained a little in all areas. The training for the dishwasher section is 'Bosche'.

Bosche exists to make dishwashers the best they can be. And 'manufactured to last a lifetime'.

I will get 3-10 years out of a GE or Whirlpool, depending on who you ask, but most agree 10 is the max.

For now an over 15 year old Frigidaire does the job. The filter was clogged. By sheer chance I saw a video on youtube of one that looks exactly like mine I was all Oh THAT is how you get to the filter! And showed how super easy to unclog spray arms if they are a problem. If I find it again I will post it for you.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:01 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
How long can a dishwasher last?
I have been washing dishes for over 60 years but am sure that is nowhere near the upper limit.
Ha. I am not good at that at all. Spoiled rotten, all my life there has always been a dishwasher. All my life I've been rinsing and placing them in. Unloading is the bear. At least I thought so until I had to handwash......I use way too much water. The soap never seems rinsed off to me.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:23 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I think our Maytag went after about 16 years. Our Bosch dishwasher is around 7 years old now.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:03 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Bosch is the only way to go. Quiet, efficient, and clean exceptionally well. I wouldn't have anything else.

Last Bosch I had in a former house was running great after 12 years and is still running as far as I know.

RM
We love Bosch dishwashers. Our relatively new one has a one hour cycle which we use every day. I don’t know the typical lifetime of a new dishwasher though. We left our old Bosch after about three years of use. We replaced an aging Kenmore a couple of years ago with our present Bosch. We’ve never had problems with them. But everything will eventually wear out. And a new quality dishwasher will be a revelation after using an old one. The new ones are much improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House