Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 07:42 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,566 times

Advertisements

What do you remember from your grandparent(s) house (or apt) that you really don't see in homes today?

My grandmother lived in a railroad style apartment, above a bar/club. The steps getting to her apt were
so steep - like something you'd find in a funhouse. Not sure how she managed them when she became elderly,
but she did. She was a real trooper.

Her apt had an air shaft! As kids we would push the windows open and look down it. A little dangerous (if
you fell, forget about it)! She also had one of those heavy metal old fashioned sewing machines. We would
get on our knees and push the pedal with our hands (like the Grinch's dog Max did)...It was fun for us. It must have weighed a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 07:45 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Big floral couch fabrics!

Old 01-28-2021, 07:55 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
My grandmother lived in a tiny little apartment on the second floor. She walked up and down the outside stairs, and walked to and from the bus stop to go do her shopping (she never had learned to drive) until she was in her late 80s.

The only thing I remember in particular is that she had a bed that folded down from the wall, a Murphy bed. I never stayed with her (we lived one town over) but some of my cousins from out of state did, and they would have used that bed.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:27 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Geraniums in the dining room.
Lots of geraniums.
I hate geraniums.

Refrigerator with a coil on top.
Coal furnace which my brother and I thought was neat.
Front loader washer. This is in the 1950s.
Black & white TV. 3 channels in Syracuse, NY.
Musty smell. Everywhere.

My grandparents were born around 1885.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:04 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Both sets of grandparents lived in rural areas - homes back off the road, plenty of land. Not "neighborhoods".
My dad's father had a monkeyhouse out back, for his monkey. I barely remember it - don't even know what happened to it. A tobacco barn (I learned how to hand tobacco from the farm hands). I remember more about the outside than I do about the inside.

My maternal grandparents had a nice brick ranch. Pine wood paneling everywhere. I remember it seemed dark in there. My grandmother had a bowl of wax fruit in the living room. I used to scratch the wax off LOL. A fold-down ironing board in the kitchen.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:15 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My grandparents managed a Motel and lived on site so I remember going to visit and being able to swim in the pool After my grandpa died my grandma moved to a 1 bedroom bungalow court apt few blocks from us. It was adorable.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:47 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Off the back porch was a season room- Not like todays version. It was a dank room where she kept - the chopped wood, the potatoes/onions/summer veggies, sodas ( back then we got them by the crate ) , and her small garden tools. I can't say its a shed though, it was a niche right off the kitchen.

other items:
Old chiming door bell
Cedar closets
Back stairs that went to the maids quarters or nursery.
Never understood why they put a nursery far away from the parents room.
Vestibule- Loved the old stain glass .

Old 01-29-2021, 05:36 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
My grandparents never owned a house, moved around more than a floating crap game according to my dad. Once they even moved without telling him where, while he was at school.
All I remember is an apt. in a multifamily house where we kids were told not to be too noisy because it would upset the landlord. Then they moved to senior housing in a high rise, small apt. with a very small balcony. We were told to go play on the balcony, but there was nothing to do there.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:10 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
The overpowering odor of lavender, it was on little dishes all over her apartment, I can't stand it to this day, 70 years later.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-29-2021, 06:13 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Lots of doilies, African Violets and philodendron. And it always smelled like Noxzema.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House