Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 11:22 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times

Advertisements

I have some equipment. A pull up bar and a bike I can make a bit stationary. But it seems when I look for weights either it is sold out or the price is up there. Even on craigslist things seem to go fast some the ads are misleading..$100 ...wait...a month and it's really $4,000

I don't see thrift shops carrying much and I don't think Dicks sporting goods has used. There's no play it again sports near me. Seems like there's not much for retailers for this anymore....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 01:39 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Do different exercises that don’t require free-weights. Or, use your imagination and make weights from other things.

I highly suggest “resistant” type excercises and cardio.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
we put together a home gym before the rona. i never used it since i go to the gym by work. now that gym by work is closed and so is the next closest gym. so now i use the home gym. you dont really need too much for a decent gym. you could get away with a bunch of dumbells and a bench. but thats not ideal. also, dumbells are very expensive and nobody is happy with those dumbells that you can adjust the weights on them.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:51 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
I agree with KBldr’s post above but if your going to go with weights, the adjustable dumbbells are best, by either Power Blocks or Bowflex. I’ve owned a set of the Power Blocks and they were excellent in my home gym for saving space while having every weight dumbbell up to 100 pounds each with instant weight changes.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
the adjustable dumbbells are best,
well, im proven wrong!

we had power blocks when i was a kid. they serve their purpose (as long as they work) but they arent the most pleasant to use. at some point, my dad just picked up an actual set of dumbbells and nobody used the power block.

a friend of mine actually just got them and another friend i was talking to at the super bowl said he had a set but they broke.

i took the dumbbells from my dad up to 35 pounds and for the heavier lifts i use that universal machine.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:23 PM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
I built a home gym a couple of years ago. My husbands work was buying new equipment, so I bid on the treadmill. It was the same treadmill I was using at the gym but like brand new. I went to a few fitness equipment stores that sell new and used. I would go there every couple of weeks and sure enough, a perfect cable machine came in. I bought that because I could do just about all the movements I was doing on multiple machines at the gym.

I bought a rack for my free weights, a couple of attachments for the cable machine, I have a yoga ball and mat, resistance bands, weight bench etc.

I recommend joining a bunch of Facebook for sale groups. Keep looking on them for what you want. Estate sales, offerUp, are other options. I see treadmills and all kinds of fitness equipment for sale all the time.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, im proven wrong!

we had power blocks when i was a kid. they serve their purpose (as long as they work) but they arent the most pleasant to use. at some point, my dad just picked up an actual set of dumbbells and nobody used the power block.

a friend of mine actually just got them and another friend i was talking to at the super bowl said he had a set but they broke.

i took the dumbbells from my dad up to 35 pounds and for the heavier lifts i use that universal machine.
No, you are not wrong! Dumbbells are best if you have the money and room to own a complete set to equal what is available with the adjustable ones.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:58 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Apparently weights are in short supply right now.

Buy a couple bags of Sakrete, some pipe, and use some coffee cans to make some Travis Bickle barbells and dumbbells. I think two 18" piece of 1" pipe and four bean cans would make a nice pair of dumbbells; a 5 foot piece of 1" pipe and two coffee cans or gallon paint cans would make a nice barbell.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:48 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I agree with KBldr’s post above but if your going to go with weights, the adjustable dumbbells are best, by either Power Blocks or Bowflex. I’ve owned a set of the Power Blocks and they were excellent in my home gym for saving space while having every weight dumbbell up to 100 pounds each with instant weight changes.
I always hated those things but I can see the space-saving benefit.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I always hated those things but I can see the space-saving benefit.
And the cost savings !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House