Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:39 AM

14,481 posts, read 20,662,041 times

Advertisements

Older 1970's electrical panel might need to be replaced. Very occasionally the breaker for the new water heater will trip. It trips maybe once every couple months and the property could be sold at any time and the owner plans to sell it as is and may not wish to invest in a new panel.

There may be electricians out there who are self employed and could have a match for the old water heater breaker.
That said the likely cost parts and labor to install a new panel? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 10:34 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
...and could have a match for the old water heater breaker.
Start here.

Name of the current panel
Confirm the size req'd (2P 30A in 99.99%of installs)
It can probably be found at Home Depot for $10. Buy one.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:38 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,405,782 times
To me, it sounds like you should be asking how much a new water heater, or somebody who knows how to troubleshoot electrical problems costs, not how much a new breaker panel is.

9 times out of 10, if a breaker is tripping it's doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

Constantly resetting it or replacing it usually isn't the right answer.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:41 AM

14,481 posts, read 20,662,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
To me, it sounds like you should be asking how much a new water heater or someone who knows how to troubleshoot costs, not how much a new breaker panel is.
9 times out of 10, if a breaker is tripping, there's usually a good reason.
The new water heater may not be compatible with older electric parts. The owner wants to replace the entire panel. The only devices on the panel are water heater, lights, refrigerator, other 110 volt items. No A/C and no clothes dryer and no electric stove.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
Quote:
The new water heater may not be compatible with older electric parts. The owner wants to replace the entire panel. The only devices on the panel are water heater, lights, refrigerator, other 110 volt items. No A/C and no clothes dryer and no electric stove.
The hot water heater has a current rating on it. Is it less than the breaker size?

If yes, replace the breaker. This is a job for a careful amateur.

If no, then you have a problem, because the wire is probably too small. But panel is still not the problem.

Now if someone wanted to replace the panel because it will be new and glossy...have at it.

(I have ruled out possible problems with the water heater...because it's new).

Old 03-02-2021, 08:28 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,405,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
(I have ruled out possible problems with the water heater...because it's new).
Not a good reason to rule something out, especially in this day and age of cost cutting and consumers who demand cheapness over quality.

I don't know if the water heater is faulty or not, but if the problems didn't start until after the new water heater was installed, I would be looking at it, along with it's amp rating/amp draw compared to the breaker size, and for any loose connections or pinched wires or stray wire strands or anything else that could have been overlooked during the install.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:58 AM

30,443 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Around 1200 smackers and up pup.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:32 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
Quote:
Older 1970's electrical panel might need to be replaced. Very occasionally the breaker for the new water heater will trip. It trips maybe once every couple months and the property could be sold at any time and the owner plans to sell it as is and may not wish to invest in a new panel.

There may be electricians out there who are self employed and could have a match for the old water heater breaker.
Had the same issue a while ago with a new hot water heater. The company which does all my HVAC, electric and plumbing came out and could not figure it, they even replaced all the workings of the new hot water heater; then the lead commercial electrician came out. One look at the panel and he saw the issue. He said the breaker for the hot water heater should not have any breaker above or below it. Sure enough that was the cause.

A year went by and the main breaker went on the box from the 1970's. Naturally it was on a Sunday after dark and it was pouring and cold. The maker is not even around anymore - who would have thought these breakers would not be universal? I ended up paying about $2,000 I think, a bit high perhaps, but that included them coming out on a Sunday in the pouring rain, finding a rebuilt main breaker in another county, and giving me the use of it until the new box could be put in.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:

First thing I'd look at is the current draw for the new water heater. Until you confirm that its current draw is below the breaker size, do not assume you need to do anything else.

Of course, if you do find the water heater's too big for the circuit you'll have to have a new circuit put in, or take out your new water heater and put in one with less current draw.

If the circuit is of appropriate capacity for the water heater, then the next step would be to confirm that the current draw is as per the nameplate. Then you'd probably want to replace the one breaker; they're simple mechanical devices and the little spring can lose its force. They generally fail safe, which is to say by tripping when not wanted; rather than failing by not tripping when needed - which would be a fire risk.

I don't see anything here that indicates a whole new panel is required.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I don't see anything here that indicates a whole new panel is required.

Except one. Don’t know the brand. If it’s a F-P panel, it’s worth replacing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House