Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 545 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation, the building was sold, the city did a building inspection, the commercial unit next to mine had a illegal addition (no permit), 4 weeks ago the landlord had the super tear down all the walls of the edition (was a illegal kitchen! in a shack), landlord is taking his time repairing.

the problem, now without the shack walls the electrical panel is exposed, it is not the fault of my neighbor, the property before was a BBQ place, they did a lot of illegal work, they ran venting, water, gas water heater etc.. right through the back wall and even put a vent and a BBQ Grill in there (neighbor loves it and uses it, they even drilled a hole in the roof to vent for when they grilled BBQ in the shack) and covered it up by adding in plywood walls. the problem is, now the illegal work the previous tenant did is exposed to the element, I feel it is unsafe for the electrical panel which is missing its front cover to be left like this, not to mention it looks pretty ugly now, you can see all the illegal work.

Its been 4 weeks, I am scared the exposed wires will get wet (they had BBQ Grill going, so they made a couple holes to vent, will show in pics a little wind and rain and that water could hit the exposed wires), or a animal (we has possums, and tons of cats). Yes know there is no illegal addition, but what is left is unacceptable, what rights does a commercial renter have to request the landlord to fix when its not their unit, its the unit right next to mine, but if there is a fire my unit can burn just as easy.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mq3itc.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/2lncrxh.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/20kq6tv.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/2wo9j6d.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 08:47 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Call your municipal building, fire or code inspectors and report the concern. Let them figure out if it's a danger. or not.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Call the power company immediately, and call the building inspector in your jurisdiction immediately, and express your concerns. Note that this may result in termination of your electrical service.

Perhaps there is an open building permit but if so the installation must remain safe for occupants through the entire process.

You are probably not qualified to determine what is safe or not safe, but it looks unsafe to me. Depends on exposure to elements, and worse, exposure to unintended contact by persons who do not know there is a danger in contacting electrical circuits.

Strange but true, you cannot count on the unformed public to not touch a live wire. People get killed all the time this way, usually because of power lines downed during extreme weather or transportation accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting