Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 11:31 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times

Advertisements

The installer did the living room and kitchen with Luxury Vinyl Plank. The living room had carpet removed, and was down to the subfloor.

The kitchen has 1/8" plywood, then one large sheet of vinyl laminate ?

The installer went right over the kitchen floor, and then used floor leveler to transition to the subfloor where the living room carpet was..

It looks fine, but when you walk right where the living room / kitchen meet, you can feel the floor move a little, and you can tell the floor is higher in the kitchen..

Not sure anyone would notice this, or if I'm been too picky ?

How common is it to just put the luxury vinyl plank down over two different levels of floors, throw down some floor leveler and call it good ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 11:53 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
So called "floating" vinyl floors can be installed over existing flooring that isn't perfectly level, but there's a limit to how uneven it can be. Different vinyl products may have different tolerances. I've done it myself and have lived in several houses that had relatively recent floating vinyl floors installed. There did end up being a couple of "flexy" spots. It might be due more to the condition of the subfloor, not the vinyl.

https://www.builddirect.com/learning...-luxury-vinyl/

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-01-2021 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-01-2021, 11:59 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
How common is it to just put the luxury vinyl plank down over two different levels of floors, throw down some floor leveler and call it good ?

Probably as common as it is to not want to spend the money to really level the floor.

Doing that would have had a cost that was probably discussed with you.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:40 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
The installer did the living room and kitchen with Luxury Vinyl Plank. The living room had carpet removed, and was down to the subfloor.

The kitchen has 1/8" plywood, then one large sheet of vinyl laminate ?

The installer went right over the kitchen floor, and then used floor leveler to transition to the subfloor where the living room carpet was..

It looks fine, but when you walk right where the living room / kitchen meet, you can feel the floor move a little, and you can tell the floor is higher in the kitchen..

Not sure anyone would notice this, or if I'm been too picky ?

You are not being too picky. Did you have a discussion on the leveling of the floors prior to signing the contract? If not, your installer is incompetent. If so, and you declined to have that done, then you live with the results.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:44 PM

was told it was "pointless" to rip up the kitchen floor, and 1/8" plywood underneath it ..

I think maybe he thought he could "blend it" or "level it" better than he actually did ?

Old 03-01-2021, 02:55 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
was told it was "pointless" to rip up the kitchen floor, and 1/8" plywood underneath it ..

I think maybe he thought he could "blend it" or "level it" better than he actually did ?
That is not the question. Did he state that the floor should be leveled and go over the cost of that with you?
If not, you picked the wrong installer.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:15 AM

No, he did not recommend leveling the floor, when I asked about tearing up the old kitchen floor, was told it was pointless..

regardless, he offered to make it right, for $500 .. going to remove new vinyl click in, remove old floor, old 1/8" plywood, install new floor again ..

I'm happy as long as it turns out ok ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House