Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 02:51 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

If weight is a factor, acrylic or wood. I know ,how else does a boat float

My childhood home had the old cast iron claw foot tub. Stunning it was!

It's your choice and I support the concept!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 02:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
...we're left with this dead zone of space underneath the two corner windows.
So, you have a corner garden tub(?) Well, unfortunately I wouldn't replace that with a free-standing- it'll look REALLY weird in that space! And the "cleaning problems" are even more exaggerated!

Old 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Oh I don't know, this looks pretty nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Free standing bathtubs-tubbb.jpeg  

Old 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Have you ever considered that there might, just maybe, be a reason that built-in bathtubs took over from free standing ones very quickly and almost 100%? Try to find a house from 1950 that was built with a free standing tub.

Having had to wrestle with one for a couple of years, I can tell you they're a huge pain in almost every way.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:16 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Oh I don't know, this looks pretty nice.

To each their own!

IF- If you absolutely want a free-standing tub in a corner it doesn't go like that! It goes catty-corner! In that pic it's asymmetrical to the windows.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:29 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,148,432 times
Ultimately, this is a matter of personal choice. It's your house, so do what makes sense to you and fits your aesthetic.

Personally, I'm not a fan of free-standing. The cleaning issue already brought up is a big negative. And without a tub deck, where do you put things you'd like to have within reach while you're soaking?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:16 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I would never have a freestanding tub. Cleaning around it would be a ridiculous pain in the a$$. Never mind where to put the soap/shampoo/whatever. No. All day long.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Having installed one in a spec house I was involved with, a few things to consider if you're set on a freestanding tub; water weighs 62.4 pounds per square foot which is much more important to the bearing calculation than the tub material. In addition to the faucet, a hand held device is almost essential in cleaning such a large tub; cleaning around it is another story which must consider whether the underside is open or contained. If the supply faucet comes from the floor rather than a wall cleaning around it should be considered. We had enough space to construct a bump out along the wall even with the tub rim to provide a shelf about a foot wide to hold the soap, candelabras and champagne glasses.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:33 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
While you're redoing the plumbing, put a drain in the floor to make cleaning easier.

A clawfoot tub is real fun to look at, not sure how living with it would be. Kinda hard to clean under them.

We had one bath house once that had a big soaking tub with windows down to the level of the top of the tub so there was a great view out over the gulch from the tub. Also visible from the tub was a big TV up near the ceiling. Alongside the tub was a big panhead shower that went straight down with another shower head that came in from the side when wanted. The floor was slate tile with a drain in the middle of it and there was a lower faucet with hot water for washing the dog. They seemed to appreciate warm water instead of the garden hose. I think in that house, the bath was the nicest part.

Now we're in a 50's house with the cast iron built in tub. Very typical for the time period. If we replaced it, we'd probably get something similar so it would match the rest of the house.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:34 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
We have an original-to-the-house 100 year old clawfoot, refinished. Full cast iron. It's a beautiful monster. Water stays hot in it FORever. Makes for amazing baths.

It is an absolute pain to clean under and behind. If we had one of those modern stand alone tubs, the bottom sits fully on the floor so you only have to worry about cleaning behind the tub and in between the wall. If you have someone ELSE doing your cleaning, great!

We plan to move it out of the bathroom into another one when we remodel... gonna be a huge job to pick it up and move it downstairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House