Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:04 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

(Note: I don't know all the correct terminology for this type of door mechanism so you'll have to bear with me.)

The front door to my house has this type of mechanism, where you press down a lever which causes the latch to retract from the strike plate, like this.

Note that this part of the door doesn't have a key or lock; that is handled by the deadbolt directly above it. The deadbolt works fine.

The problem with this door is that even with the lever pressed down all the way, the latch won't retract all the way out of the strike plate, like this.

The question is, what causes a door to malfunction this way? And is it something I can fix myself? Since it's not a locking door handle, I'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to simply put in a new doorknob, but I think it would be better if I could fix the problem directly. Is this feasible, or do I need a locksmith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 09:30 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
Check youtube.com - replacing a door handle set.

Buy a new one, take the old one out, put the new one in.

It's not difficult.

No need for a locksmith - any handy person can do it.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:13 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
As stated above. You just need a new handleset. Easy peasy. If I can do it, anyone can.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:22 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Before you change the latch buy a tube of powdered graphite and spray some into the mechanism. Work the latch back and forth a few time to get the graphite worked in.

That will solve a lot of problems and it is cheap and easy. Only if that doesn't work do you change the latch.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:25 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
There’s a good chance that the latch bolt assembly is worn out and for $8.00, it could be replaced in minutes.

If that does not correct the issue, then the handset, which turns a shaft that passes through the latch assembly could be worn out and then it’s probably best to replace the handset.

Try a new latch bolt first.

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-18-2021, 06:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I'd guess something's loose in the mechanism, rather than ”worn out”. Whether or not it can be retightened would depend on the mechanism. If it's an ordinary generic handle, it's likely faster and cheaper to just replace it; if it's an el cheapo it's probably a bunch of short lived plastic parts inside anyway.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:50 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
It's a Kwikset lock, the latch or spindle is damaged, and the finish is peeling. Spend the $75 for a new set, have the deadbolt rekeyed if you want, and replace it yourself.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:00 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
I replaced a very similar lock on my front door myself, and I am not particularly handy.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:06 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

The question is, what causes a door to malfunction this way? And is it something I can fix myself? Since it's not a locking door handle, I'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to simply put in a new doorknob, but I think it would be better if I could fix the problem directly. Is this feasible, or do I need a locksmith?

Definitely something wrong inside the mechanism. If it's a Kwikset, call Kwikset and see if it's covered by Kwikset's warranty.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:30 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Though you didn’t mention the brand or age of the handle set (there are a few minor differences in brands from a mechanical standpoint), there are about 3 reasons why you’re experiencing this problem.

Alignment- in through-door or “tubular” locksets (as opposed to mortise sets) the screws that secure the two half’s together become loose and the handle set will drop slightly causing a misalignment of the throw’s square pin.

Debris- years of being exposed to the elements and continuous use have created debris within the mechanical/moving parts of the handle set. This debris can cause binding, which can limit the travel of the mechanicals or motions.

And lastly...
You have a mechanical failure of the most common part in that particular type of handle set. There is an assembly that is attached to the interior side of the exterior part of the handle set- this part converts the linear motion of the thumb lever to rotational motion. It has an internal spring that breaks. The spring is not repairable; but there is a replacement subassembly.

For most people- if the first two don’t fix the problem, it’s the third one. And that will usually mean replacement. Finding the replacement part can be difficult- installing it correctly can be more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House