Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 07:37 AM

19,814 posts, read 22,710,079 times

Advertisements

It certainty wasn't anectodical for me, lol. I needed 2 more 4x8 sheets of 7/16 OSB to finish a wall section in my shop. I had bought 50 sheets at my local (non-chain) store 2 years prior at $8 or less a sheet. (Slight miscalculation).

I was SHOCKED to see the price was over $36 a freggin sheet!!

I expected the increase- I've watched construction prices skyrocket (I'm in commercial finance) so I knew it was going up. I didn't know it was going up THAT much, holy crap! I'm really, really happy I'm not doing any serious work anytime soon. My wife and I are going to wait this commodity bubble out before we redo our kitchen. Prices are insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 11:23 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,601,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
3D Printing to the rescue!
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/12/3d-p...look-like.html

Aside from that, I'm not so sure this still holds:

I don't know where you live, but where I am in north Texas, pretty much every builder has stopped adding new communities, has capped the number of contracts for existing ones around 2 a month, and has set expectations for build times at 12-14 months minimum. There is virtually nothing to buy new. I would say it's slowed down significantly. At the current pace, those interest rates could well be going right back up where they started before there's time to close on a new build for those who can get one.
They may have to reconsider how a building is built. There are many alternatives to stick built wood structures.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:31 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
Quote:

I don't know where you live, but where I am in north Texas, pretty much every builder has stopped adding new communities, has capped the number of contracts for existing ones around 2 a month, and has set expectations for build times at 12-14 months minimum. There is virtually nothing to buy new. I would say it's slowed down significantly. At the current pace, those interest rates could well be going right back up where they started before there's time to close on a new build for those who can get one.
I was speaking nationally not locally. What you're seeing where you live is definitely not what's happening in many areas of the country.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:32 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:

Well they are building here like no tomorrow. Constant. Apparently there are lots of folks out there that don't give a rip about increased costs. No slowdowns at all. Build build build build.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:10 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,092,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well they are building here like no tomorrow. Constant. Apparently there are lots of folks out there that don't give a rip about increased costs. No slowdowns at all. Build build build build.
Where is this? Where are the builders who have not set limits and complete builds in normal time frames?

Old 03-22-2021, 08:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,852,215 times
Quote:
Where is this? Where are the builders who have not set limits and complete builds in normal time frames?
Why would a builder stop selling as much as they could? Sure, they may have to adjust pricing and delivery times but why would they turn down business? As long as interest rates remain low, demand for new houses will remain high.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:57 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
LOL!! Are you for real?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/succe...ies/index.html

Old 03-22-2021, 09:33 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,092,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes, the article deals mostly with existing homes and pretty much reiterates that point that the lack of inventory is a potentially bigger problem. Builders are not putting up or significantly delaying new communities, and owners aren't selling existing homes. It's not for lack of demand; it's a supply problem. Materials, labor, and land are all in short supply which is one reason, besides already high demand, they keep going up in price, taking longer to build, and further adding to a backlog of demand.

Houses aren't made out of money.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:19 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,432,600 times
Don’t worry when the foreclosure moratorium, and eviction of tenets is over, homes are going to flood the market, many landlords will dump their rental homes to get out of the landlord business especially after what just happened to them. And banks will have plenty of foreclosure homes on the market.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:29 AM

899 posts, read 542,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Don’t worry when the foreclosure moratorium, and eviction of tenets is over, homes are going to flood the market, many landlords will dump their rental homes to get out of the landlord business especially after what just happened to them. And banks will have plenty of foreclosure homes on the market.
Hmm. I wouldn't bet the bank on this assumption.

Some foreclosures, sure. But how many?

And it doesn't affect all real estate markets equally. Even markets within markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House