Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:08 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Yes, the article deals mostly with existing homes and pretty much reiterates that point that the lack of inventory is a potentially bigger problem. Builders are not putting up or significantly delaying new communities, and owners aren't selling existing homes. It's not for lack of demand; it's a supply problem. Materials, labor, and land are all in short supply which is one reason, besides already high demand, they keep going up in price, taking longer to build, and further adding to a backlog of demand.

Houses aren't made out of money.
My point was - there is a severe shortage of homes - buyers are outstripping the supply. So they are BUILDING. We have several new developments in the works here - one is literally right down the street from me - (not as big - 57 homes) and the first house is being framed now. My boyfriend is a building inspector so he knows everything that is being built here. It is crazy. The houses get built and then sit there with no windows (because windows are taking soooo long now). I wish they WOULD slow down. But it just seems unstoppable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 07:06 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

The forestry industry in both Canada and the USA has done a good job of providing lumber, but not a good job of restoration, and many of their practices that needed to change only happened with the industry kicking and screaming along the way. I mean, they feel that they can manage forests in an ecological manner by relying on the presence of indicator species, without getting concerned about all the critters that can't be seen. You should know I speak the truth, don't you?

There is a HUGE difference between forestry practices in Canada and the USA.

I went to graduate school in Forestry in Canada and returned to the US. My professional ethics precluded me from working in Canada. It is an awful place for responsible forest management, but hey, Canada does know how to work the PR machine to their advantage!!!

On public lands, managed by the Forest Service and BLM the timber sales since 1990 or so have been in place to provide wildlife habitat, and protect communities from wildfires.

The environmental community and the Democrats (yes, you have to call these people out) have STOPPED these timber sales. Leading to the deaths of firefighters, residents, the destruction of thousands of homes, and in many areas, the burning of the soil at such a temperature that we have converted thousands and thousands of acres of forest land to brush fields for centuries into the future.

Oh, indicator species. Yeah, 20 years of dealing with those. Good, bad, and indifferent.

But the saddest part, is that wildlife biologists used the Barred Owl as a "indicator species". Yep, that same Barred Owl that is partially responsible for the coming extinction of the Spotted Owl.

I can send a copy of the management plan I wrote that commented on the Barred Owl issue in 1994. Unfortunately, while the team was adamant on Barred Owls, I downplayed the language to polite, professional tone that it was a stupid decision.

In fairness, I was "censored" for clearly expressing my professional opinion on other public land issues. The political climate under President Clinton probably meant that a clear, honest assessment of the Barred Owl would have been removed by the political appointees and their subordinates..

Old 03-24-2021, 07:16 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
There is a HUGE difference between forestry practices in Canada and the USA.

I went to graduate school in Forestry in Canada and returned to the US. My professional ethics precluded me from working in Canada. It is an awful place for responsible forest management, but hey, Canada does know how to work the PR machine to their advantage!!!

On public lands, managed by the Forest Service and BLM the timber sales since 1990 or so have been in place to provide wildlife habitat, and protect communities from wildfires.

The environmental community and the Democrats (yes, you have to call these people out) have STOPPED these timber sales. Leading to the deaths of firefighters, residents, the destruction of thousands of homes, and in many areas, the burning of the soil at such a temperature that we have converted thousands and thousands of acres of forest land to brush fields for centuries into the future.

Oh, indicator species. Yeah, 20 years of dealing with those. Good, bad, and indifferent.

But the saddest part, is that wildlife biologists used the Barred Owl as a "indicator species". Yep, that same Barred Owl that is partially responsible for the coming extinction of the Spotted Owl.

I can send a copy of the management plan I wrote that commented on the Barred Owl issue in 1994. Unfortunately, while the team was adamant on Barred Owls, I downplayed the language to polite, professional tone that it was a stupid decision.

In fairness, I was "censored" for clearly expressing my professional opinion on other public land issues. The political climate under President Clinton probably meant that a clear, honest assessment of the Barred Owl would have been removed by the political appointees and their subordinates..
Are you not aware of the monoculture of pine in the Southeast of the USA? The ones planted in rows for easy harvest? Have you ever seen them? Are you suggesting that is good forestry practices??

Old 03-24-2021, 11:35 PM

1,382 posts, read 1,087,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My point was - there is a severe shortage of homes - buyers are outstripping the supply. So they are BUILDING. We have several new developments in the works here - one is literally right down the street from me - (not as big - 57 homes) and the first house is being framed now. My boyfriend is a building inspector so he knows everything that is being built here. It is crazy. The houses get built and then sit there with no windows (because windows are taking soooo long now). I wish they WOULD slow down. But it just seems unstoppable.
I guess the difference here is how long it takes and how difficult it is to build and to prepare new lots. DFW is experiencing what has been called a "gap out." That may not be the case where you are.
https://www.streetinsider.com/Press+.../17789510.html

For home builders and buyers, lots may end up being a bigger problem than lumber.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:28 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
I guess the difference here is how long it takes and how difficult it is to build and to prepare new lots. DFW is experiencing what has been called a "gap out." That may not be the case where you are.

For home builders and buyers, lots may end up being a bigger problem than lumber.

The article mentioned ATL as having the most available lot inventory; that because back during the “new era depression†there were so many developed lots around the metro area they called it the “Ring of Death†(a map showed there was a literal ring of available lots all the way around the metro area- the overwhelming majority were OTP [outside the perimeter])! It’s slowly dwindling away- but there’s still quite a bit. And yet, a lot of the development that is actually going right now wasn’t even a part of that “Ring of Deathâ€.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:19 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Yes, the article deals mostly with existing homes and pretty much reiterates that point that the lack of inventory is a potentially bigger problem. Builders are not putting up or significantly delaying new communities, and owners aren't selling existing homes. It's not for lack of demand; it's a supply problem. Materials, labor, and land are all in short supply which is one reason, besides already high demand, they keep going up in price, taking longer to build, and further adding to a backlog of demand.

Houses aren't made out of money.

My realtor friend texted me today asking if we're ready to sell, she said prices are soaring right now. Problem is, no one wants to move out but lots want to move here. Builder finished building about 5 years ago. We're gonna lose a lot of money on this house if prices don't raise again.

$450k houses were selling for $285, last one sold for $469 she said.

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-25-2021 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:

There is a lot of rural land here, so definitely different.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My realtor friend texted me today asking if we're ready to sell, she said prices are soaring right now. Problem is, no one wants to move out but lots want to move here. Builder finished building about 5 years ago. We're gonna lose a lot of money on this house if prices don't raise again.

$450k houses were selling for $285, last one sold for $469 she said.
Why? Did you pay a premium just recently?

Old 03-26-2021, 05:46 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Are you not aware of the monoculture of pine in the Southeast of the USA? The ones planted in rows for easy harvest? Have you ever seen them? Are you suggesting that is good forestry practices??

It is for PRIVATE LANDOWNERS looking to maximize their economic return from their land.

It is NOT lands owned by the public, in my opinion, where other "values" are as important as return to the taxpayers.

Does this help??

Old 03-26-2021, 06:53 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It is for PRIVATE LANDOWNERS looking to maximize their economic return from their land.

It is NOT lands owned by the public, in my opinion, where other "values" are as important as return to the taxpayers.

Does this help??
I'm going to suggest you are no fully aware of the situation in the SE. When Bernie Ebbers, of Worldcom fraud fame, bought the rights to 100's of thousands of acres of pine, it was not all on private land. In fact, in that case, the plantations were significantly on public land, including that which was leased, and some in national forests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House