Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 02:18 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OK, maybe I will have the concrete blocks as well. My contractor (the one that is doing the concrete pad) is excellent so I will talk to him about this, then get the shed company's OK before they come. But wait ... then the DOOR will need some more wood framing added at the top, right? (because IT wouldn't be on blocks so there'd be empty space above it ... or if the door were on the blocks too, the ramp would have to be changed to accommodate the larger slope) So I don't know if the shed company will agree to this (and/or wouldn't cover the shed under their warranty because it would have been modified). I will ask.
Yes, nice catch on the height. I wouldn't worry too much about the shed company though. Dropping the door opening by the height of one or two courses of CMU isn't going to change things dramatically.

Look around your area. Are the houses and sheds that currently exist built on a course of block? If so, it is probably reasonable to pick this up. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Get a weather resistant siding, paint it every 5 years, you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 03:01 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
... Just remember that rodents will take advantage of any holes to overwinter in the shed.
Just realized I'd forgotten to respond to this ^^^ part of Harry's post ... yes, I definitely want to keep rodents out!! They would not be attracted to the wood pellets (well, I know from experience that they may chew on a bag or two, but they quickly realize that they're not food so they leave them alone). I'm hoping that a brand new shed on a brand new concrete foundation will be pretty tight ... right? RIGHT?!! (Need some assurance here ... I am totally, insanely, irrationally terrified of mice. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, nice catch on the height. I wouldn't worry too much about the shed company though. Dropping the door opening by the height of one or two courses of CMU isn't going to change things dramatically.
Well, sometimes those companies are VERY picky and any deviation in the build will void your warranty. So I will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Look around your area. Are the houses and sheds that currently exist built on a course of block? If so, it is probably reasonable to pick this up. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Get a weather resistant siding, paint it every 5 years, you should be fine.
My garage definitely has some concrete blocks on the bottom. I think the garage (well, at least 1 bay of it -- it's a 3-car garage) was part of an addition in 1978 (original house was built in 1960). My house's foundation is a full basement underneath the original part plus a crawl space underneath the addition space. I will have to be more observant in looking around my neighborhood!

Old 03-21-2021, 03:12 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Don't forget to have the ground pre-treated for termites.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:30 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Don't forget to have the ground pre-treated for termites.
Termites aren't much of an issue in New England. Now carpenter ants, that's a different story.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:01 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Hi, all. So I finally ordered a shed to use to store wood pellets, which are normally my main heating source. This is so I can use a pallet jack to load the pellets into the shed when they are delivered to my driveway (otherwise I'd have to manually open all the pallets and move the bags inside). Does this make sense to do?

Thanks in advance! I am SO looking forward to getting the pellets OUT of the garage!!!
What, on Earth do you do with all those pellets? And pallets? You burn them? Good Lo'ward, talk about air pollution.

Having a nice, well built shed is always preferable to a ramshackle lean to. Hope you paint it to match your home. Trim too.

EDIT~ It would really be beneficial if you had the shed wired for electricity. Lighting and a couple receptacles are always a nice convenience in a shed. I'd go with the 10 X 20 also, with concrete flooring.
Is the area prone to flooding?

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 03-22-2021 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-22-2021, 05:44 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
What, on Earth do you do with all those pellets? And pallets? You burn them? Good Lo'ward, talk about air pollution.

Having a nice, well built shed is always preferable to a ramshackle lean to. Hope you paint it to match your home. Trim too.

EDIT~ It would really be beneficial if you had the shed wired for electricity. Lighting and a couple receptacles are always a nice convenience in a shed. I'd go with the 10 X 20 also, with concrete flooring.
Is the area prone to flooding?
Pellet stoves are a very common method of heating in NH where the OP is from. There isn't much availability of natural gas so oil is the most common heating fuel. Pellet stoves are actually pretty environmentally friendly compared to wood stoves or fireplaces.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Pellet stoves are a very common method of heating in NH where the OP is from. There isn't much availability of natural gas so oil is the most common heating fuel. Pellet stoves are actually pretty environmentally friendly compared to wood stoves or fireplaces.

Norty, see this ^^^.

And robr2, thanks for replying to him (can't yet rep you again!). I was pretty much just shaking my head.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
dunno if it's been mentioned, but...
why aren't you having those crack carpenters of yours building it from scratch?

Old 03-23-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
dunno if it's been mentioned, but...
why aren't you having those crack carpenters of yours building it from scratch?

I would love to have them build it, but between increased labor costs and especially increased materials cost, it is cheaper to buy one from a mass builder with a good warranty (installation is included in the cost). I am having those contractors come back and do the concrete pad (and lots of other things) -- they are insanely busy right now! The head of the company has built a couple of things for me -- he's the real carpenter in the company.

Oh, they will also be building my new front porch -- I wanted that to be done last year but COVID interfered, and now the price of lumber is insane. So now I don't know if I can even have it built THIS year, since other things are higher priority. Will the price of lumber go down again once the supply stabilizes?!! Someone please tell me YES!!

Old 03-25-2021, 08:13 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
I would love to have them build it, but between increased labor costs and especially increased materials cost, it is cheaper to buy one from a mass builder with a good warranty (installation is included in the cost). I am having those contractors come back and do the concrete pad (and lots of other things) -- they are insanely busy right now! The head of the company has built a couple of things for me -- he's the real carpenter in the company.

Oh, they will also be building my new front porch -- I wanted that to be done last year but COVID interfered, and now the price of lumber is insane. So now I don't know if I can even have it built THIS year, since other things are higher priority. Will the price of lumber go down again once the supply stabilizes?!! Someone please tell me YES!!
I have no idea but the prices are just nuts! I'm not letting it stop me from carrying on with my plans though. I just had a 12x20 shed built and it probably cost 30% more than it would have if I had had it built last year. But oh well. I couldn't build it last year and I wanted it done now as I am retiring soon. It's gonna be my workshop. I really hope the prices go back down though. I just can't see them staying like this.

https://fortune.com/2021/03/20/lumbe...-update-march/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House