Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 10:44 PM

177 posts, read 125,964 times

Advertisements

I get it now, you are just trolling. My fault I fell for it. Well played.

OP you have all the information you need to make a decision about your decision. I hope it works out for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 11:19 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
I get it now, you are just trolling. My fault I fell for it. Well played.

OP you have all the information you need to make a decision about your decision. I hope it works out for everyone.
Finally! Thank you for no longer attempting to dispute the indisputable. Have a wonderful life.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:02 AM

72 posts, read 51,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
Okay...the same logic applies to you as well. Only the OP can clear this up, but the point stands. The FHA does not apply to most people who come to CD for advice about how to handle their rental situation.

And I am not claiming anything. I am referencing how federal law likely does not apply to the OP and I am referring them to the actual law. The OP hopefully is not taking my word or anyone else's word about anything. It is up to all of us to read the law and interpret it, or pay lots of money for a professional to do it....
I apologize not to follow the thread. This is a small private house, not a fourplex. I'm not a professional landlord either. This is not a service dog. It's an ESA only.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandi View Post
I apologize not to follow the thread. This is a small private house, not a fourplex. I'm not a professional landlord either. This is not a service dog. It's an ESA only.
How was the house rented to the tenant, through a real estate agent or privately and do you have other rental properties?

Old 04-04-2021, 08:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
A real hardwood floor shouldn't be that easy to scratch. I've seen laminate floors scratched up from dog traffic, but not wood. It may not be as bad as you think.
Dog nails can scratch just about any hardwood floor. I have solid and engineered wood floors and when we didn't keep up with our dog's nails, the floors sustained scratches. Our seller's dogs scratched the existing wood floor. unfortunately dogs and wood aren't exactly a happy marriage unless you keep up with the nails and make sure urine accidents are taken care of.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
How was the house rented to the tenant, through a real estate agent or privately and do you have other rental properties?
It was rented through a management company but we now manage directly.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:49 AM

Quote:
It was rented through a management company but we now manage directly.
From what I've read of the California law if it was rented through a real estate agency you would not meet the exclusion in the law while if you had found the tenant yourself you would. It is not clear to me if a management company is treated the same as a real estate agent but I'm sure it would be easy enough for you to find out, possibly by simply reading the full text of the law rather than a synopsis from a news article or law firm which was my source.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:56 PM

So the conclusion is an ESA a pet or not? If it is then I can give the tenant a pet addendum.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:07 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
So the conclusion is an ESA a pet or not? If it is then I can give the tenant a pet addendum.
Did you read the article that was linked earlier? Sounds to me like you are under no obligation to allow the tenant to have a dog. If you WANT to allow the dog, just to be nice, then make darn sure you lay out the rules for damage, and get a pet deposit.

https://bayarearealestatelawyers.com...upport-animals

Old 04-08-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Did you read the article that was linked earlier? Sounds to me like you are under no obligation to allow the tenant to have a dog. If you WANT to allow the dog, just to be nice, then make darn sure you lay out the rules for damage, and get a pet deposit.

https://bayarearealestatelawyers.com...upport-animals
'There are some circumstances in which landlords are not required to accommodate emotional support animals under the Fair Housing Act, however these are narrow exceptions. For example, if a landlord is renting a building that has 4 or fewer units, and the landlord occupies one of those units, the landlord can refuse to accommodate the support animal. In addition, if the accommodation is a single-family home that is being rented without a real estate broker, the landlord can refuse to accommodate a support animal'
The house was originally rented out by a management company. This company is a real estate broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House