Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 02:13 PM

743 posts, read 877,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravel13 View Post
Hi, I just got this house but looks like the living room has odd angles. Also, the ceiling has older beams. Not sure how I can make it look good. Looking for color, furniture, and decor ideas.

living room pics: https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/...-pj-vj~6629706
What the photo doesn't show is that the wood wall has a hallway. The pic makes it look like it's a solid wall. The TV should go on that wall because the windows look out to the street. Get a nice MCM credenza to put the TV on. Since the majority of your house is grey/white, might as well stick with that for now. Since you never responded to my earlier post about the floor under the carpet, It would be worth it to continue the kitchen flooring throughout the house and pitch the carpet, unless there is hardwood under it. Just my opinion.

Your magnolia tree in the front yard is spectacular. You'll never get another tree like that. No one else has one either on your street. Clean up the front walkway and that tree will be the showcase.

The price of the home though....wow. CA is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 07:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
A fireplace and tv are two separate focal points and putting a tv above the fireplace is a bad idea. If there's another room in the house for a family room that would be the best place for a tv but if this room is the only living room space then you could angle the tv in one of the corners. There are corner tv stands that are made just for that purpose. The fireplace area is gorgeous.

Painting is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to change up the look and I understand wanting to make it your own quickly. The walls, ceiling and beams look bland so I would add some soft color to the walls and leave the beams and ceiling light.

What's underneath the carpeting? Changing that will make a big difference but if you have to put new flooring in (wood, tile) that could be a major expense. Love the windows! Having greenery right outside your house is a big plus.
Putting a TV where there is no hookup is a bad idea. In this case, it would be a good idea if the floor plan worked out and because the TV could be hung low enough to be at eye level, and if there was a hookup.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:27 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Maybe paint the wood beams a darker color to contrast as an option. I would think about getting rid of the wood wall and just texture to match the other walls.

mimiberry creations: How Gel Stain Makes Painted Wood Beams Rustic (Again)

Agree, the wood wall is very out of place. I was thinking restain it a color that's more neutral to the room such as a deep grey. I'd even consider doing the beams to match or compliment depending on how much work it is to strip.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:04 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
^^^ If you look at all the photos (the link is great!) you can see that the wood theme goes throughout the house so taken in that respect it's really not bad and fits into the MCM look. Paneling and wood walls were big back then. I was born in the fifties and I remember that look growing up.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:23 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
That's a lovely house.

I'm not crazy about the gray brick fireplace, but I despise painted brick. That fireplace could be faced with tile or stone to completely change how it looks.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I would do an accent wall and paint the fireplace wall, including the brick and the trim red. It will warm up the room and give it depth the same way the wood paneling does.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:17 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Were the rooms furnished when you saw the place? I'm just wondering how the previous owners/stagers set things up. From the look of it there seems to be two parts to that front living area, the space with the fireplace and the space on the other side of the entry door, which I'd assume to be a dining area except there is another dining area right next to it that's attached to the kitchen on the other side of that half wall. Is there enough space to put a sofa facing the FP and either a love seat or a pair of chairs in front of the window? Or does that all interfere with the path to and from the hallway? That's what I'd WANT to do if possible.

I like the ceiling beams the way they are and I would NOT put a tv over that FP. The corner or flat against the wood wall is fine if you want a tv in that room.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:46 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Were the rooms furnished when you saw the place? I'm just wondering how the previous owners/stagers set things up. From the look of it there seems to be two parts to that front living area, the space with the fireplace and the space on the other side of the entry door, which I'd assume to be a dining area except there is another dining area right next to it that's attached to the kitchen on the other side of that half wall. Is there enough space to put a sofa facing the FP and either a love seat or a pair of chairs in front of the window? Or does that all interfere with the path to and from the hallway? That's what I'd WANT to do if possible.

I like the ceiling beams the way they are and I would NOT put a tv over that FP. The corner or flat against the wood wall is fine if you want a tv in that room.
I agree. In larger rooms with higher ceilings, painting the beams a contrasting color is a good choice but this ceiling is too low and a darker color would make the beams all you see when you enter the room. A corner TV set up would work and the fireplace should be its own focal point.

You can usually find photos of any house that was on the MLS going back ten to fifteen years so that would be a good way to see how it was set up before in case the most recent seller photographed the house unfurnished. I love homes with character and this house has plenty : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House