Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 10:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times

Advertisements

We had these last year, and had Terminex come out and do a comprehensive program to get rid of them, they put all the mattresses into this bed bug proof encasements, (the bed bugs cannot get thru this cover, its specifically designed for Terminex), but the bed is exactly where I saw them?! Ive only seen a couple full size ones and I saw some of the babies as well...so if they are not able to get to the mattress, where are they staying at? (pillows maybe)

The room has hardwood floors, and I have a throw rug on the floor where my bed is, its right next to a wall, and have a headboard, so is it possible they are staying in these places?

I did read about some traps that you can put on the legs of your bed, that the bugs get trapped in, but I guess I have to find out where they are staying at first, if they are in the pillows, would be a waste of time putting traps on the legs of the bed.

Something that surprised me about bed bugs, apparently they communicate with other bed begs, (thru Phermones somehow), and they say if one gets caught in a trap, it will panic and immediately send out an alert for others to avoid this area! Are bed bugs really this intelligent?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 11:06 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We had these last year, and had Terminex come out and do a comprehensive program to get rid of them, we, they put all the mattresses into this bed bug proof encasements, (the bed bugs cannot get thru this cover, its specifically designed for Terminex), but the bed is exactly where I saw them?! Ive only seen a couple full size ones and I saw some of the babies as well...so if they are not able to get to the mattress, where are they staying at? (pillows maybe)

The room has hardwood floors, and I have a throw rug on the floor where my bed is, its right next to a wall, and have a headboard, so is it possible they are staying in these places?

I did read about some traps that you can put on the legs of your bed, that the bugs get trapped in, but I guess I have to find out where they are staying at first, if they are in the pillows, would be a waste of time putting traps on the legs of the bed.

Something that surprised me about bed bugs, apparently they communicate with other bed begs, (thru Phermones somehow), and they say if one gets caught in a trap, it will panic and immediately send out an alert for others to avoid this area! Are bed bugs really this intelligent?!
Pheromones are chemicals used by insects and animals to communicate with each other. However, I think it is more a function of biology and adaptation than actual "intelligence". Always open to new info though.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:19 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
We had these last year, and had Terminex come out and do a comprehensive program to get rid of them, they put all the mattresses into this bed bug proof encasements, (the bed bugs cannot get thru this cover, its specifically designed for Terminex), but the bed is exactly where I saw them?! Ive only seen a couple full size ones and I saw some of the babies as well...so if they are not able to get to the mattress, where are they staying at? (pillows maybe)

Are you saying that you still have them, after the Terminex treatment??

Old 05-26-2021, 12:42 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
See the sticky at the top of the forum.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Are you saying that you still have them, after the Terminex treatment??
Yes, I just noticed them a few days ago.

Mattress still has the encasement on it, im assuming they are living in the pillows or the throw rug on the floor.

Terminex told us to NEVER remove the mattress encasement, (so I know the bugs are not in the mattress)

Old 05-26-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Pheromones are chemicals used by insects and animals to communicate with each other. However, I think it is more a function of biology and adaptation than actual "intelligence". Always open to new info though.
Well, if a bed bug gets trapped and it sends out alerts to other bed bugs to avoid the area...that would be intelligence imo!

Seems like the most effective way to get rid of them, would be to take advantage of the fact that they can communicate with other bed bugs! (why not use the phermones from the bug trying to alert others, and alert them that the bed itself is a trap?)

I also think a lure of Co2 would be effective, (this is what attracts them to our beds in the first place!

Here is my idea...purchase a few of those small Co2 cartridges, set them up in an area on the opposite side of the room, place some cow/pig blood into a container and sit back and wait for them ALL to come running...let it sit for a few days and then bag the whole thing up and pitch in the outside trash.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:44 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Here is my idea...purchase a few of those small Co2 cartridges, set them up in an area on the opposite side of the room, place some cow/pig blood into a container and sit back and wait for them ALL to come running...let it sit for a few days and then bag the whole thing up and pitch in the outside trash.
It won't eliminate eggs...those will just keep hatching and those offspring will also lay eggs.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It won't eliminate eggs...those will just keep hatching and those offspring will also lay eggs.
The trick is, to get them to start laying eggs in the spot I WANT THEM TO...even if that means the trap must sit out a little longer.

Ive been sleeping in the living room on the couch, so if I were to set up the little Co2 trap thing in my bedroom, along with the blood, they will continue to stay there and feed on that blood, also laying their eggs nearby...Seems like it wouldnt take long to get them all one spot?

(maybe use some old pillows/blankets as the trap?)

Old 05-27-2021, 05:27 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Move the bed away from the walls. Put climbups under the legs. Put all bedding through the dryer on high, frequently.

Cimexa and Crossfire. Apply both every other week to edges of mattress, and between mattress and boxspring, abd around legs of bed. Will probably take at least three treatments, maybe more.

This has worked for us in the most challenging households - even in households of a dozen people who are totally non-compliant with any recommendations.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:00 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
See the sticky at the top of the forum.
I see no sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House