Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 08:50 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times

Advertisements

I have low-pile area rugs that hold onto pet hair (short haired cats) like a magnet. Rather than pull out the vacuum cleaner every day to give them a quick go-over, I would like a simple carpet sweeper, either manual or battery. I have a Bissell Easy Sweep (battery) that does fine picking up cat litter on a tile floor, but it doesn't do well on the carpets.

I have been online reading reviews of many, and am cross-eyed by inconsistencies in reviews. A Fuller manual sweeper is "electrostatic" and there are claims it does pick up the hair, but it's expensive at $70+. I don't want to waste that much money on something if it doesn't actually work as claimed.

Anyone have a sweeper and pets and can recommend something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 09:03 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,200 times
Hardwoods.

LOL, just kidding. I have a short-haired kitty cat and will never ever get ahead of the fluff. I will also probably never be in a position to vacuum daily!

BUT, in the interest of actually answering your question, are you interested only in floors or do you have furniture, curtains, etc. to address?

Old 06-10-2021, 10:28 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,640 times
Default sweeper

get a rubber carpet rake. I got mine from Amazon because I have hardwood floors and a dog that has tiny hair that she sheds. Never realized it when I had carpet, I'll bet if I'd had the carpet rake I would have raked up a pound in the 8 months after I adopted her. I've used them before on the carpet when I had long hair cats and I'd rake up huge piles, visible and invisible. a little more work, but cleans great!! I think I paid less than $20.00 for mine.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
get a rubber carpet rake. I got mine from Amazon because I have hardwood floors and a dog that has tiny hair that she sheds. Never realized it when I had carpet, I'll bet if I'd had the carpet rake I would have raked up a pound in the 8 months after I adopted her. I've used them before on the carpet when I had long hair cats and I'd rake up huge piles, visible and invisible. a little more work, but cleans great!! I think I paid less than $20.00 for mine.
Saw those, too, and wondered if they work. I don't mind the extra work as long as it means I don't have to drag out a vacuum cleaner all the time! Thank you!

Old 06-10-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Hardwoods.

LOL, just kidding. I have a short-haired kitty cat and will never ever get ahead of the fluff. I will also probably never be in a position to vacuum daily!

BUT, in the interest of actually answering your question, are you interested only in floors or do you have furniture, curtains, etc. to address?
No lol about it ... when we moved in, out went the wall-to-wall carpet and in went the vinyl plank! And never looked back ... oh so glorious to clean up hairballs off LVP than it was off carpet.

I do not like to vacuum neither daily nor weekly nor monthly :-) However, we have darker "oriental" area rugs and light-colored-hair cats, so the paths where they walk and eject fur are unsightly. Those paths are where I'd like to hit daily with a sweeper or as it was suggested a carpet rake.

For furniture I do have a hand-held vacuum (mostly made for stairs), and I have used it on the carpet "paths", but it's a royal pain getting down on my hands and knees to use it :-)

Old 06-10-2021, 12:16 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
This is what I also use. I noticed that rubbing my shoe on carpet extracted pet hair. Then I looked for a tool that would do this and discovered this device. It takes a small amount of pressure but works so well. You stroke a few times then lift it and manually remove hair from the rubber nubbs. Relatively easy.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:19 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Does your Bissel have an adjustment for a carpet setting? We used those for years cleaning dense pile carpets in theatres.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This is what I also use. I noticed that rubbing my shoe on carpet extracted pet hair. Then I looked for a tool that would do this and discovered this device. It takes a small amount of pressure but works so well. You stroke a few times then lift it and manually remove hair from the rubber nubbs. Relatively easy.
Sounds like what I'm looking for ... thanks!

Old 06-10-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Does your Bissel have an adjustment for a carpet setting? We used those for years cleaning dense pile carpets in theatres.
No, it doesn't. It's just a cheap sweeper I picked up at the grocery store. Doesn't do much more than a broom would do with litter and crumbs on a tile floor, but saves me the time from emptying a dustpan.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:25 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-28806.../dp/B00K316IB6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House