Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 11:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

On the newer microwave ovens—we installed an LG over our regular oven. I’ve had zero problems. It performs well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 12:22 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
A microwave is one of he most dangerous appliances to work on. There are lethal voltages inside. Be careful.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:11 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
A microwave is one of he most dangerous appliances to work on. There are lethal voltages inside. Be careful.
Well, isn't that a common sense to unplug the appliance first, THEN work on it?

OP, please report back. Did the suggestions helped fix your problem?

Old 07-16-2021, 12:50 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, isn't that a common sense to unplug the appliance first, THEN work on it?

It is not always quite that simple. Some appliances have components that remain charged for a period of time after being disconnected. You have to either wait for some time for the charge to leak off, or intentionally (and safely) discharge the device.

When in radar school, I watched a kid reach into the cabinet of an AN/MPQ-4 Counter-Battery radar system to touch a Thyratron tube. Attached to the door of the cabinet was a 3' long wooden stick that looked like a walking cane, that had a metal cap on the end, from which a braided cable was bolted to the cabinet. It was there precisely for the reason of discharging the 17,000volt Thyratron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/MPQ-4

The Thyratron was still 'hot', the kids finger was still some distance away when it flashed and discharged through *him*. That was his last day of school.

Modern devices often contain capacitors that retain a charge for some time after being disconnected from the power source. Unplugging isn't necessarily enough.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:21 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
So... I've been tied up w/other things but I unplugged it for about 15 mins. or so and put water in a measuring cup to test it. I started to "say" unable...., etc. but I put power level 5 in anyway and I "think" that worked.

For people saying to just get rid of it and get another.... I'd love an offer of paying for someone to remove an over-the range, pay for a new microwave, pay someone to install it (not sure but I've heard and read of people having trouble even getting appliances these days)

Old 07-16-2021, 05:38 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
So... I've been tied up w/other things but I unplugged it for about 15 mins. or so and put water in a measuring cup to test it. I started to "say" unable...., etc. but I put power level 5 in anyway and I "think" that worked.

For people saying to just get rid of it and get another.... I'd love an offer of paying for someone to remove an over-the range, pay for a new microwave, pay someone to install it (not sure but I've heard and read of people having trouble even getting appliances these days)
Most microwaves have a one year warranty. Find your paperwork and force a fix. I did on mine. It took a couple of months but it was repaired on the manufacturer's dime.

I will say it again, even though there are many foolish foolish people on these forums that disagree- "BUY the extended warranty on a microwave and a refrigerator! Your chances of using it and making it pay for itself are worth the pittance."

I have saved over $2,000 by doing so.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:39 PM

798 posts, read 502,184 times
Microwaves are a Blessing and a Curse.
Here is the Prayer I use with my microwave:

Anything that is in near around or about me that is not of light

Go Back to where You came from and

Turn to Light if You Choose

BUT STAY AWAY FROM ME!

amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House