Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 12:38 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

First of all...who is this neighbor to even speak to my lawn service? Where does he get off telling him what to do? And if "weeds are creeping" under the fence, why doesn't his lawn service just trim them when they weed-eat?
Get off your high horse.

You shouldn't let anybody work on your property without you being there to make sure they do what they are supposed to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 03:42 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^^ Plenty of contractors and tradespeople work on property and home repair jobs outside when the owner isn't home. Owner doesn't need to be home as the workers are not going into the property.

Part of the reason most people have a yard service is so they can come home and see nice cut grass. Especially, if it's a regular service or company that you've had no issue with.

Is it BEST to be home when certain kinds of jobs are done? Sure. I don't think I'd let a roof be put on while I wan't home. But yards get cut everyday with the owner not at home.

The yard service was totally wrong. And I'd be speaking to the owner about losing my account, AND compensation.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Get off your high horse.

You shouldn't let anybody work on your property without you being there to make sure they do what they are supposed to do.
Have you ever had a lawn service?? I won’t sit home waiting for my lawn service to show up so I can watch them like a warden. They know what to do and what not to do.

The issue in this case is with the lawn service taking direction from the neighbor and not the homeowner. However, to be fair, some of these workers have zero clue who the owner is.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:38 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
I want to know what the lawn service said after you spoke to them. I would just tell them on your dime they need to stay on your side of property line.

Your property, your right to control what happens on it (within reason, town ordinances, etc.) Your neighbor can't dictate what you grow on your property (unless it's violating an ordinance type of thing). If you are violating a town ordinance, and believe me, some of these can be a real pain in the you know what, you have to comply. It's best to try to stay on the right side of the town codes. I'm not saying you have done anything wrong, just saying it's better to follow the law, especially with a fussy neighbor.

Your neighbor could hire their own lawn service to cut the weeds on THEIR side of the property.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
My men WERE on my side of the property line, and my neighbor (or rather his landlord) DOES have his own lawn service to mow and trim on HIS side of the property line.

I know; it's confusing!

For the poster who needs to hear this, lots of people aren't home when their lawns are cut.

They didn't say much when asked; just that my neighbor told them to trim it down, so they trimmed it down. This isn't a big operation; it's a couple of guys with equipment. Since my neighbor is obviously going to be a PITA about it, they can just continue to trim it down.

With any luck, I won't be here next summer to have to deal with this again.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:14 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
You need to march right over to that neighbor and tell him/her to mind their own damn business.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:54 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
A neighbor told mom's garden service to trim mom's hedge because it was too tall. He did, and tried to charge mom for it. She got a new gardener.

Why don't people just discuss problems instead of calling the city or destroying property?

Last edited by steiconi; 07-27-2021 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Or just MYOB. All neighbors need to worry about is their OWN lawns. That's why there are such things as property lines.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Or just MYOB. All neighbors need to worry about is their OWN lawns. That's why there are such things as property lines.
Yup! You neighbor can cut what’s creeps on his side and that’s it. Remind the lawn service who pays the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House