Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 PM

159 posts, read 517,263 times

Advertisements

What would you recommend? Why? How is the maintanance on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:23 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,402 times
The easiest house plant I ever had is a peace lily. Pretty green-glossy leaves with a white bloom. Just water it once a week and it doesn't need a huge amount of light either. Occasionally add plant food.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,247,244 times
Sheflerra. Is that how it is spelled? I like them . They are full, very nice shade of green, easy to grow, needs very little attention and get pretty large.

Also, the jade plant is great. They are tough to kill.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
I like the money tree...very feng shui. Does not need a lot of maintenance but needs radiant sunlight, like a window to thrive. I'm superstitious about it...I will never let it die since I tie it to wealth. It sits right outside hubby's office, and as it grows, we find his business does at the same time. Water as the pot dries.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:12 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,423 times
Philodendron, pothos, corn plant, some species of dracena.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:05 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,036 times
Sago Palm - stylish pot.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 AM

159 posts, read 517,263 times
Do plants give out oxygen at night time too? When I was a kid, I remember reading that plants breathe out co2 at night. Is that true? That is one reason I am too worried about house plants, especially in the bedrooms.

I remember Dr. Oz recommending some house plants. Anyone knows what those are?

I have one money plant, but I have not heard about the others. Would love to look into those. Great idea. Any particular spot you should place plants, particular pots, etc.?

If plants breathe out oxygen at night too, then I will get plenty to put all over the house.

Thanks all of you!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,167,069 times
You cannot kill a spider plant. I've had a spider plant in the same pot since 1976, and it's lived in as many cities as I have.

Not to mention that they're self-proliferating, so you always have green gifts to give to friends.

Plants take in more carbon dioxide than they emit. You've been hearing old wives' tales. The only way they'll suffocate you is if they come to life a la Little Shop of Horrors.

The only thing to worry about with house plants is that some plants are toxic to pets if eaten. If you have pets that get into everything, there are some plants you'll want to avoid. Any pet website will list them for you.

Spider plants are not toxic to pets or humans. My childhood cat ate my spider plant down to a nub multiple times.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Philodendron for any non-sunny corner - great air cleaner (removes a lot of toxic chemicals in the air) and doesn't require much water. Plus it is pretty.
Spider plant is ok and easy and good air cleaner, but not my favorite.

My real favorites are the Night Blooming Ceres cactus - beautiful big flowers that bloom only at night for one night in the summer. Mine lives on my deck in the summer - very little water in winter but I do need to bring it inside.
Aloe vera - easy in sunny window and you can use the gel. Not a lot of water needed.
African violets - easy, limited water, do best in a north window with steady temperatures. Flowers are pretty.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy234 View Post
What would you recommend? Why? How is the maintanance on it?
I have a wonderful BIG african violet. It blooms all year round because it loves the place I have put it. They usually are not easy to grow though.
Some people have good luck with them and some do not. I'm just lucky!

Good luck finding something you like!

Dunroven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House