Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 12:24 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times

Advertisements

Replace the flapper...they are all different so take the original to a real plumbing/hardware store. Nothing to it once you have the correct piece in hand.

What you are hearing is the water refill valve opening to top up the tank from the water leaking into the bowl through a deteriorated flapper. Happens to all units eventually. Sounds a little (very little) like a flush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 06:49 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
No well. City water.

Yikes, your water bill is going to be sky high! Leaky toilets are murder on metered water systems!

Old 08-20-2021, 07:01 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Flush toilet. When tank is finished filling shut off water to tank fill valve. Check back in an hour to see tank level. If level dropped then you need a new flapper valve. If water did not drop then turn water back on. If you hear a flush again then your fill valve is leaking by and needs replacing.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
The fill valve can also be adjusted.( Sometimes ?) I "googled" it and fixed mine.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:29 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
OP should replace both parts - fill valve and flapper.
It's easy. You almost don't need tools. Almost.

But, OP, when you install the fill valve BE SURE to put an arch into that rubber line that shoots water down the tube. It needs an arch in order to break what would be a siphon action from tank thru the tube to the bowl.

The whole toilet works as a siphon. When the bowl fills to a certain level (by flushing the tank into the bowl) the siphoning action takes hold and sucks everything out of the bowl down the sewer pipe. Kinda neat if you're a geek like me. But if you're not it's kinda, "who cares?"

Old 09-02-2021, 06:58 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
We've noticed maybe once a day or every other day the toilet tank will "phantom flush". I understand this is caused by a slow leak into the toilet bowl. I do notice what sounds like a dripping inside the tank. We used to be able to fix it by flushing the toilet and it would stop. But now the dripping happens maybe once a minute, so perhaps this is the leak. My partner is convinced this is just water pressure doing something to the toilet tank.

Should we have a plumber come take a look?
You might start with a handyman. If you're lucky, it may just be that you need to change the flapper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House