Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 12:53 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

Seeking first hand experience from owners of hybrid water heaters.
Any real life pros and cons?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 01:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I'm thinking of getting one of these myself, but they aren't cheap. I think they're really only beneficial if you live in a warmer climate though, since they absorb heat from the air, and release cold air.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:55 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Thank you

I've had one for about a year. I have had to use the dehumidifier in the basement (where the WH is located) less. The cool air is useful in cooling the basement in the summer, it probably puts a small load on the heater in the winter but we don't keep the basement up to the temperature of the main living area. We are in the Mid Atlantic area.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I've had one for about a year. I have had to use the dehumidifier in the basement (where the WH is located) less. The cool air is useful in cooling the basement in the summer, it probably puts a small load on the heater in the winter but we don't keep the basement up to the temperature of the main living area. We are in the Mid Atlantic area.
Thank you.
Any issues? How is electrical bill? Size?

Old 11-16-2021, 02:45 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Thank you
I love mine.
I live in Texas, so I love the benefit of cooling/dehumidifying the garage (where it's located) as it's warm most of the year.

If you have more than a couple people (like a family), I'd recommend getting the 80-gallon version (and NOT the 50-gallon) - reason is because the heat-pump mode (which saves the most energy) slowly heats the water, and if you only have 50-gallon version and 4 people take shower back-to-back in the evening, the heat pump can't recover fast enough so it will turn on the heat-elements (full power) to make up, loosing your power savings.
With our 80-gallon, I can set it in 'heat-pump only' mode most of the year, and never be short of hot water, even with 5 people in house. Only 3 mos, Dec/Jan/Feb I put it in 'hybrid' mode.

I am amazed that when in heat-pump mode, it is using less than 300watts! (I measured).
I am saving about $40 / mo on my electric bill compared to regular water heater.
Also, when power goes out, we can easily run in heat-pump mode with our generator, hardly putting any load on it.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:11 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Thank you.
Any issues? How is electrical bill? Size?
We made some other changes at the same time (upgraded the attic insulation) that same season so it is hard to break out the savings from the two projects, but I feel it made a contribution. The help it made with dehumidifying the basement means my dehumidifier which used to run 24 hours a day 7 days a week now shuts off about 25% of the time.

We replaced a 50 gal one with an 80 gal one. It is overkill for us most of the time except when family comes to visit with kids and grandkids. And if we decide to downsize and sell the next owner will probably put a larger load on the system than my wife and I do.

I have no regrets.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:24 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I want one, but my 35+ y.o.water heater is still working fine...

Hybrid water heaters, when used correctly, are incredibly energy efficient– they can save homeowners about $470.00 a year on water heater costs compared to a standard electric water heater! ... While a tankless electric water heater runs at about 99% efficiency a hybrid water heater can easily operate at 370% efficiency.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:15 PM

Thank you, CCC. exactly what I was looking for.
We are in Pac NW and there's only two of us in the house, with occasional guests.
We currently have 75 g propane heater.It's 17 yo and works fine. I flushed it 2 weeks ago and water came out clean.
I am sort of in upgrading mode right now. Replaced our heat pump with inverted one.
Reason I have my sights on heater is simple. We plan to stay here for the next 10 or so years.
I don't have good feeling about where economy is headed and thus am using existing opportunities to at least grab, while it's available.
I talked to my plumber, he says to buy whatever I want to and stow in garage, until one we have breaks. I might as well do that. There's not much difference cost wise between hybrid and tankless.

Good thing about hybrid is - you have 75 or 80 g of water in the tank. Even when we have power outages, we still have enough hot water left to shower for 2 and then some.

Also, I have backup generator and really like the sound of being able to run it in HP mode. We have outages way too often and easy for days.

Thank you again.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:18 PM

Here we go:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-S...ump/1000213657

Good tamkless costs about same, few hundred difference

Old 11-16-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

I am amazed that when in heat-pump mode, it is using less than 300watts! (I measured).
I am saving about $40 / mo on my electric bill compared to regular water heater.
Also, when power goes out, we can easily run in heat-pump mode with our generator, hardly putting any load on it.

How big is your generator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House